3.6L Royal Purple Filter RYP 40-1009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Finally found a Royal Purple filter for the 3.6L. I'll be using this on my next oil change. Looks pretty similar to the MOPAR filter. Its made in China (MOPAR doesn't say where their's is made on it).

I was only able to find it online at O'Reilly Auto Parts (shipped to my local store).765777a35accd82431e9488c674ce1e7.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sucks that it’s made in red China though. Guess I’ll be running the Fram Ultra in our JGC 3.6 next oil change. What oil and oil change interval you running?
Royal Purple 5W-20 ~ 8000 miles (that's what the change gauge has been telling me).

For the price, $17 after tax, I think I'll likely continue to buy the MOPAR 2 packs for $12. Unless someone else knows anything about the construction of these filters (like better filter media in one vs the other), these filters look pretty identical to me.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nice!

Let us know how it looks when you pull it out. I never really found a bad pentastar oil filter. I did notice over the years, especially with the one in our 2013 Grand Caravan that some OFs would come out kind of twisted looking. Others not so much. The media area is huge on them and I never found tears, holes, etc.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I noticed something in my pictures so I took a closer look. It appears the Royal Purple filter is slightly shorter...

fcabee199583853a1fd7082853199fd3.jpg

237d83505344c7c85e015070d4f900ce.jpg

Does anyone think this could cause a problem? I'm hesitant to use it if figment will be an issue.

In addition, the Royal Purple's construction includes a metal wire mesh backing which is absent from the MOPAR filter.

03f5a7991ed5280e5dfba02c3e12aec4.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal Purple 5W-20 ~ 8000 miles (that's what the change gauge has been telling me).

For the price, $17 after tax, I think I'll likely continue to buy the MOPAR 2 packs for $12. Unless someone else knows anything about the construction of these filters (like better filter media in one vs the other), these filters look pretty identical to me.

yellow = paper

white = spun microglass

Spun Microglass not only filters better but filter longer, the binders used in paper turn filters into cardboard like structure usually around the 3 mos mark. Spun microglass use wire mesh to hold fibers together, paper filters use glue like binders after heat cycles stiffen up.

See oil filter thread for more.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
yellow = paper

white = spun microglass

Spun Microglass not only filters better but filter longer, the binders used in paper turn filters into cardboard like structure usually around the 3 mos mark. Spun microglass use wire mesh to hold fibers together, paper filters use glue like binders after heat cycles stiffen up.

See oil filter thread for more.
Good stuff, what about "light red" (AKA K&N)? I bought one to compare its height to the RP filter.f23cc13edd515597241a62b5fb7829b2.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Unless they changed it kn is paper, maybe dyed red.

KN are experts at not giving relevant info on their products. They do make perhaps the best paper filters out there, but unless they have changed they don't make synthetic media. I hope they would, obviously it is desirable. We know fram uses pink synthetic, but I have no idea about the red. White is synthetic as far as I knew nobody has a white paper filter, famous last words.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Unless they changed it kn is paper, maybe dyed red.

KN are experts at not giving relevant info on their products. They do make perhaps the best paper filters out there, but unless they have changed they don't make synthetic media. I hope they would, obviously it is desirable. We know fram uses pink synthetic, but I have no idea about the red. White is synthetic as far as I knew nobody has a white paper filter, famous last words.
Thanks! I only got the K&N to compare its height to the RP. I'll be returning the K&N to Amazon.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Found this interesting, looks like Amsoil makes a filter similar to the Royal Purple filter too...

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
SitKneelBend: Interesting observation about the height difference. I too have noticed that some of the mopar filters come out with their pleats cockeyed. I'm wondering if they are getting 'crushed' to the correct length and the royal purple just dimentioned the length correctly. I've not seen it on any filters that I've replaced, but it is noticeable on youtube oil change videos. It could be true.

May I ask what caused you to use something other than mopar? The price is right and FCA can't blame the filter if there was an engine issue.

OilFilterCockeyed.JPG

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
SitKneelBend: Interesting observation about the height difference. I too have noticed that some of the mopar filters come out with their pleats cockeyed. I'm wondering if they are getting 'crushed' to the correct length and the royal purple just dimentioned the length correctly. I've not seen it on any filters that I've replaced, but it is noticeable on youtube oil change videos. It could be true.

May I ask what caused you to use something other than mopar? The price is right and FCA can't blame the filter if there was an engine issue.

View attachment 245496
No particular reason, I just really like Royal Purple products and it was time to change my oil. The best time to try something new is when you already have a backup on hand!