3 inch American Truck level install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to do this job with my son, he has a 2005 ram 1500 quad cab 2wd. My question is on the coil. This truck does not have a full strut assembly but coil and separate shock set up. I will buy a coil spring tool. The guy on American truck doesn't use a coil spring tool to do this. Any tips on how to go about breaking down the coil and shock and then using that tool?

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d use some sort of coil spring compressors. I have a pair that mount on each side of the spring. I’ve found it easier to compress the spring with a jack under the lower a-arm and use the vehicle weight to help compress the spring instead of just using the compressors. Before compressing the spring, loosen the upper ball joint nut a turn or so and hit the knuckle with a big hammer to unseat the ball joint, just don’t remove it until the spring is compressed with a jack under the lower control arm. That’ll help with the top ball joint, not sure if you’re replacing the knuckle and need to remove it. The shock is the easiest part to remove.