33 gallon tank curiosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered a ‘22 1500 limited, the dealer was unable to select a 33 gallon tank at time of order in Feb. I went ahead and placed the order anyway. the VIN links elsewhere on this site are now showing my truck is built, equipment list includes 33 gallon tank! Possibly it’s standard on limited now? Just relaying my experience and hoping to have a truck in a week or two.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The big tank is a good thing........I hope you get your new one soon.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
26 gallon tank is the standard size for Limited models. I really like my 33 gallon tank, but many gas stations limit gas sales to less than what I need to fill the tank, so I have to run my card twice. That's the price of convenience I guess LOL.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Does everyone pay with a card ?
At most of the stations i see in my area, stations charge 10 cents per gallon when you use a card.

There are very few places that just have a 35 cent charge for using a card,

I think that i am going back to paying cash, just have to find the ATMs that don't charge $3.00 to use the machine

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
At most of the stations i see in my area, stations charge 10 cents per gallon when you use a card.

I think that i am going back to paying cash, just have to find the ATMs that don't charge $3.00 to use the machine
I do, I get 4% back on my fuel purchases (Costco CITI card).

Stations in these parts seldom offer a cash discount and if they do, it is a few cents difference but only on gas, not diesel.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The 32 gallon may be a part of a package group that includes it. Just a thought.

For the gas station?, if you tell them DEBIT (using your debit card of course) it is same as cash price. I have fuel cards so I never pay advertised price. Atleast .25 per gal discount using the app at Conoco/76 and more at stations accepting EFS, such as .65 per gal.
One thing to note, I run diesel so I hit truck stops when traveling.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have never come across a station that had limits. when traveling I like to use fleet cards and get .05$/gal discount. it is nice to see over 600 miles range on the gauge after a fill-up. you may want to convert your favorite gas card to a fleet card. it doesnt matter if you only have one vehicle and there are some benefits. I only use gas cards for gas so as to limit exposure from hackers. gas cards usually have a pretty low limit on how many $ you will be out if hacked or lose a card.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
26 gallon tank is the standard size for Limited models. I really like my 33 gallon tank, but many gas stations limit gas sales to less than what I need to fill the tank, so I have to run my card twice. That's the price of convenience I guess LOL.
I've got the factory 50 gallon. If I'm very low I have to run the pump 3 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kroger company has fuel points around here so I use those to get $1 off per gallon up to 35 gallons at a time. I guess with the 33 gallon tank there’s not much point in taking my portable fuel can to get the extra ten gallons. I did not order the option group so I don’t think the 33 gallon came with that, unless it came with the off road group?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the 33 gallon tank. Every station around here has a $100 limit per unattended fill-up, until a week or so ago I had one that went to $125. If you go inside and prepay you can do as much as you want.

No station around here has a surcharge for using a card, but I was in SoCal in February and saw a station that was advertising prices at $.99 more for credit...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I guess with the 33 gallon tank there’s not much point in taking my portable fuel can to get the extra ten gallons.
When the low fuel light comes on - around 50 miles to empty - I can usually only put in 26 gallons or so. And no, I don't get 7 MPG...

In my '15 I once drove past 0 MTE (theoretical, because at some point it doesn't show a number any more) and still put in 3 gallons less than the stated tank capacity.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
After just going online and building one, a 32 gallon tank is listed as Standard Feature.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my ‘17 I would fill when the light came on and get 20 gallons in the 26 gallon tank! there’s a 14 gallon portable tank with a pump handle on it on Amazon I use to get the rest and dump it in later or dump it in the boat or the wife’s car.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After just going online and building one, a 32 gallon tank is listed as Standard Option.
They must have changed that ~the day I ordered mine. Web configurator wasn’t showing that when I ordered. Thanks for that!

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ATM's have cash withdrawal limits. With the cost of filling a 33-gallon tank at around $140, you're going to need to stop at an ATM often.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

There's no extra charge for using a card at most stations where I live. The main place I fill is a CFN station, and since there's no attendant there's no way to pay with cash.

After just going online and building one, a 32 gallon tank is listed as Standard Feature.

It's under Dimensions & Capacities
View attachment 492247
That's interesting. Where did you pull this page from? The only fuel tank sizes for 5th gen 1500's is 23, 26, or 33 gallons. You could get a 32 gallon tank on 4th gens, but I've never seen that on a 5th gen.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They must have changed that ~the day I ordered mine. Web configurator wasn’t showing that when I ordered. Thanks for that!

Did you order the longer 6.4 bed? I've seen some windows stickers on another forum that showed the free 33 gallon tank and the conclusion there seemed to be that at some point orders with the longer bed option got the free upgrade, for whatever reason.

Definitely a nice thing to have!