33 gallon tank curiosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I ordered my 2021 1500 I wanted the extra tank but it was a $300 or $400 option… not worth for 7 more gallons

It was totally worth it for me. My previous truck had the 23 gallon tank. I was filling that every three days. So I opted for the 33 gallon tank on my current truck, and I can go all week without filling up now. It's so much more convenient for me to do that on the weekends instead of randomly every three days.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$300-400 on a $60k truck for 25% more range? Every day and twice on Sunday as far as I’m concerned.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$300-400 on a $60k truck for 25% more range? Every day and twice on Sunday as far as I’m concerned.

When I was buying my truck, there were 3 requirements that I made for myself (looking for CPO), 8" screen, 3.92 gears, and 33 gallon tank. There is something to having a more sought after vehicle. There will always be an enthusiast that knows what they want, these options will make someone more likely to actually buy yours over others on the market.

For $400, that's well worth it. Oh, and I didn't pay more from the dealer for any of those options than others with similar miles missing one or two of my minimum requirements. So, I went through 10 CPO Rams, to find mine.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I was buying my truck, there were 3 requirements that I made for myself (looking for CPO), 8" screen, 3.92 gears, and 33 gallon tank. There is something to having a more sought after vehicle. There will always be an enthusiast that knows what they want, these options will make someone more likely to actually buy yours over others on the market.

For $400, that's well worth it. Oh, and I didn't pay more from the dealer for any of those options than others with similar miles missing one or two of my minimum requirements. So, I went through 10 CPO Rams, to find mine.
Looks like someone needs to update their truck details. :cheers:

JPT truck details.JPG

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another random thought: 7 gallons of fuel weighs in just under 50 lbs. does one lose 50 lbs of payload rating for selecting the 33 gallon tank?!?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another random thought: 7 gallons of fuel weighs in just under 50 lbs. does one lose 50 lbs of payload rating for selecting the 33 gallon tank?!?
Absolutely. And less MPG to boot (though probably not reflected in the sticker).

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I've heard that was the case but so far in life, I have avoided that one pitfall... However, I have had the big open hole in the ground that U have to fill. Which is almost as bad.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Overlanding feeling like a better and better idea all the time! Gas on the water this year is gonna be nuts. Good thing I’m too poor to have one of those yachts with 1000 gallon tank burning 40 gallons/hour cruise!

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
The ecodiesel has the same fuel tank options as trucks with the Hemi or Pentastar engines. Those options are 23, 26, and 33 gallons. But availability is somewhat limited by model or option choices. For example, the 23 gallon tank is not available on a Limited.

Edit: I just realized you have a 4th gen. This is a 5th gen forum so I always seem to assume that's what people are asking about. Fuel tank choices on 4th gen 1500's were either 26 or 32 gallons.
I don't know what you can order now, but when I ordered my 2021 Ram crew cab Big Horn EcoDiesel in November 2020 with a 33 gallon diesel tank I had to order a crew cab truck and not the smaller quad cab. If I went with a gas engine, I could have gotten the 33 gallon tank in the quad cab. Apparently there is not enough space for DEF in the quad cab 1500 truck. At least that was the story back then. I know this because the dealer had to reorder my truck, changing the quad cab to crew cab, to get the ED engine and the 33 gallon tank.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does everyone pay with a card ?
At most of the stations i see in my area, stations charge 10 cents per gallon when you use a card.

There are very few places that just have a 35 cent charge for using a card,

I think that i am going back to paying cash, just have to find the ATMs that don't charge $3.00 to use the machine
Credit card is the only way I buy fuel and actually get credit back at end of month if paid in full. I do live in the Great Country of Texas and are not under communist rule like California.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
What do people use now for getting discounts and paying for fuel? I'd been using a Gas Buddy discount card for several years, but have found that the $100 limit per day purchase limit AND $300 per week limits are too low for long trips, especially now with higher prices. And my truck's Rand McNally GPS has been finding stations with prices less than Gas Buddy at stations that do not accept the Gas Buddy card... When we were in California last week we saw diesel prices over $7.00 in isolated rural areas and in National Parks. Gas was anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 less. Still expensive either way! We also found that diesel at truck stops was as much as $1.50 more than diesel at regular gas stations. The only time I filled the pickup at a truck stop was when I also wanted DEF. The pump DEF at these places is about $4.00 a gallon, considerably less than the auto supply jugs.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Sam's Master card for 5% at any station.

Recently I noticed that someone (Station owners maybe) record incorrect prices on Gas Buddy. I've looked up prices and then driven 10 - 20 miles only to find the price reported was WAY low and the Station's prices were exactly the same as all other Stations in the area.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED

Recently I noticed that someone (Station owners maybe) record incorrect prices on Gas Buddy. I've looked up prices and then driven 10 - 20 miles only to find the price reported was WAY low and the Station's prices were exactly the same as all other Stations in the area.

I've been told not to use the Truckstops for DEF because of crystals.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED

I've been told not to use the TruckStop's for DEF because of crystals.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Sorry for the triplicate - post wasn't responding...

sburford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I signed up for a TSD Logics Inc / TSD Open Roads trucker discount card. I don't have an participating stations in my area and I haven't gotten to travel enough to know if it is worth it. I have found that some stations charge more at the trucker line than they do at the consumer pumps for diesel. Perhaps it is to offset any corporate discounts given.