37X13.5R20 on 20X9?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VikingPatriot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright gents,
As the title states, I’d like to hear from you 1500 owners that have put 37’s @13.5in wide on a 20X9 rim? I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with a 6in suspension lift, currently have 35X12.5R20’s on 20X9’s and I’d like to get bigger tires without having to get new wheels if it’s possible. I’d like to know of the issues any of you have run into or if you’d flat out just recommend upgrading to 20X10’s. Thanks in advance! Side note: yes, I have searched for this topic and haven’t found the answers I’m looking for, so please don’t think I’m being lazy.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Which tires are you looking at? Most manufactuers list reccomended rim widths for each tire size. You might want to start there.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Which tires are you looking at? Most manufactuers list reccomended rim widths for each tire size. You might want to start there.

Yes, this... What are the rim widths stated by the tire manufacturer you are looking at ? Sounds to me like 9” is too narrow, and you will wear the **** out of the center of your $1200-$1600 tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basic measurement I’ve seen is always tire never more than 3” wider than rim.

a 20x10 would be your best option

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, check with tire manufacturers recommendations. I was just looking at the nitto ridge grappler...the 37x13.5/20 minimum rim width recommendation is actually only 8.5”, believe it or not.

I will also add, I have run several tires in the past with wider and skinnier wheels then recommended...never once had a poor wear issue at all. I would actually like to see someone prove this “myth”. To me, if the tire is wearing in the center, then your tire pressure is simply too high.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basic measurement I’ve seen is always tire never more than 3” wider than rim.

a 20x10 would be your best option
I feel like the number is closer to 4” since most manufacturers have no problem with putting a 12.5 wide on a 8.5 wheel, etc.

OP can absolutely put 37x13.5s on a 20x9. Nitto (for example) would let him put that tire on anything down to an 8.5 wheel and he’d be fine as far as safety and tire wear are concerned.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My tire guys said while it "may" fit, be optimal and less bulge, so on my 35x12.50 I stepped up to 10"...ME, Id do at least a 10", 11"is optimal on a 13.5

OP
OP
VikingPatriot

VikingPatriot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the posts gentlemen. I believe I’m just going to go with a 12.50in wide tire on the 9in rim anyways. I’ve always heard the “myth” about excessive wear and tear on tires so I wanted to get opinions of the experienced guys. Now, my next question which I haven’t been able to find a straight answer on, have you guys that have run a 37” tire on your 1500’s had to re-gear your trucks to make up for the power loss or did you just keep it as is? I don’t pull anything, and it’s not as if I’m out racing my truck, so if it isn’t a “necessity”, I’d like to just roll with it. But also, don’t want to screw anything up that will cost me down the road.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't but i have factory 3.92's with the old 6 speed trans and the tire/wheel combo i run (17x9 Raceline Clutch wheels with 37x12.5x17 BFG KO2's) is on the lightweight side (100lbs per corner), plus matching spare. I only wish i had more gear going uphill loaded with camping/family stuff. I can only imagine towing 6-7klbs in the back :).I use the tow buttom a lot going uphill. Other than that the Hemi makes for the difference quite nicely. there is still some peep but i don't do any racing at all. City MPG DO freaking suck. HWY is not that bad at around 15-16mpg. Can't expect miracles out of a crew cab truck that weights 6200lbs without me in it, and that's before an extra 1200lbs more or so with kids/wife/vacation/camping gear etc.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the posts gentlemen. I believe I’m just going to go with a 12.50in wide tire on the 9in rim anyways. I’ve always heard the “myth” about excessive wear and tear on tires so I wanted to get opinions of the experienced guys. Now, my next question which I haven’t been able to find a straight answer on, have you guys that have run a 37” tire on your 1500’s had to re-gear your trucks to make up for the power loss or did you just keep it as is? I don’t pull anything, and it’s not as if I’m out racing my truck, so if it isn’t a “necessity”, I’d like to just roll with it. But also, don’t want to screw anything up that will cost me down the road.

With the 8 speed trans I suppose it will be fairly acceptable with 37’s and stock gearing. But your certainly gonna feel a difference with the added weight, height and rolling resistance of the bigger tires.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got some pics that arnt skewed? Looks like a slick setup, but hard to tell what ya got with the type of pic it is.

OP
OP
VikingPatriot

VikingPatriot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got some pics that arnt skewed? Looks like a slick setup, but hard to tell what ya got with the type of pic it is.

I see what you’re talking about. The picture isn’t skewed though, that’s the incline of my driveway

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I see what you’re talking about. The picture isn’t skewed though, that’s the incline of my driveway
He's talking about the "wide angle" shot...

stand back and zoom in just a pinch so the camera doesn't bend the edges of your image

*photography geek - sorry*