392 Pan Gasket & Oil Pan Replacement Questions - 4x2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I apologize in advance for the novel...

I have 2013 Ram 1500 4x2 with a 392 swap. After the initial engine swap, there was a small oil leak coming from either the rear main or the oil pan. I had the shop replace both the pan gasket and rear main seal since I had to pull transmission anyhow (other issues). After that repair, there was a huge oil leak, coming from the back of the pan, near/behind the "structural dust cover."

With lingering transmission issues, I took the truck to a different shop and while the transmission was out, had him replace the pan gasket (he had to do it twice as it leaked the first time he did it). I now have a very tiny oil leak, much better than the previous leaks, but a leak nonetheless.

Sold my house/garage last year and am reluctantly settling on: if you want something done right... So I started looking at gaskets and seeing how much of a PITA it was to replace the pan gasket (both reputable mechanics, there must be some nuance). When searching for gaskets, I instinctively searched for 5.7 oil pan gaskets and then noticing the windage tray I thought to search for 6.4 pan gaskets and as it turns out, they are different, assuming for the different crank stroke lengths.

With that said, I know I need the 392 windage tray, but if either of the other shops put the wrong gasket/windage-tray in, could that be the cause of the leaks and would it have caused any subtle damage or other issues? The engine doesn't have any abnormal ticks/noises (now).

Also, all of the threads that come up in my search results for pan gasket replacement are for the 3rd gen's - but it seems like the process would be the same. Will I need to raise/lift the engine to remove oil pan or simply remove the crossmember? If I remove the crossmember, would that affect suspension alignment?

Finally, is there a specific sequence to tightening the pan bolts or just follow generic staggering and stepped tightening to 9 FT-LBS (I think?)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread, it turns out I have the high compression car long block (not the truck version) and I happened to find a MOPAR rear sump pan conversion kit, which includes instructions for tightening sequence, etc.

Attachments

• MOPAR REAR SUMP OIL PAN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS_127834522646650f53966c0f0fb86389.PDF
    847.6 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963