3rd gen lights on 2nd gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, picking them up tonight. as long as they visually look like they will work, they are mine. than hopefully this weekend figure out how to mount them. lol.:********:

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
picked up the lights, and they look like they will work with minimal modifications. should be able to make them mount up nice and easily. the hardest part will be for the mounting bolt that goes under the blinker, not sure how it will work, but i am sure i will figure it out. expect a walk through this weekend, or early next week, i know the project is slated for saturday. while i work on the lights, i got a buddy who will be going to town on my sub enclosure. should be a good weekend :********:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
drill a hole for the bottom one?

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
not sure there is going to be anything close to the third one to drill the mounting hole, for the other two i'll need to do some drilling though....but i will figure something out, thats for sure, lol.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
dont forget pictures!!

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
i'm planning on a full walk through with lots of pics, but i'll post a couple pics up on this thread for people following it, but will hopefully have a walk through shortly there after...but won';t have time to try to modify this until tomorrow...so we all have to wait. lol.

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
cant wait... i just follow in your foot steps, lol...

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
This should turn out pretty cool. I look forward to seeing the results.

Good luck!

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, i might start on it tonight....once i am off work. after looking at it in the day light i'm still really confident that this will be very doable. hardest part will be getting the third mounting spot, but i might be able to use a spacer and my bumper for it, but i am going to try and figure out a way to not use my bumper to make it easier for the rest of you, since not everyone has a big heavy duty bumper like me. I do know that if anyone else wants to do it, like JJ mentioned, the new lights are definitely taller, so bumper modifications will be necessary for anyone else, unless you upgrade to a 3rd gen bumper, than you should be able to make it fit perfect, might need bumper adjustments and lower the bumper, but one of you guys that do it with a stock bumper can figure that out for everyone else, i'll do the initial mounting figuring out. lol. Very anxious to get started on it but this damn "job" thing is getting in the way of me being able to do it right now....lol

also the guy i got them from said he checked out the forum, so hopefully he joins up and can chime in, see his old lights on a truck that was never meant to have them :********:

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
in case anyone else wants to get started and is wondering about sizing, the 3rd gen lights are about 2 inches or so taller than the second gen lights. I will get an actual measurement what i have mine out. Looks like i should be able to mount the lights ti the core support on the inside, might need a spacer and probably a self tapping screw/bolt. option 2 would be drill a hole for one of those pop in style nut threads, (the little plastic things) or one of the slide in style nuts. Not 100% which route i'll be taking just yet, i'm going to pull everything and really get a good idea of what is needed. as to the third mounting spot (the one by the fender, under the blinker) i think i should be able to make a drop bracket that will work for this. I see a couple hours in modifying everything to work just right and perfect, and a couple trips to the ace down the road from me. but here are a couple comparison shots for you guys to see what i am seeing, very do able...

2012-07-27_10-17-05_334.jpg
2012-07-27_10-17-16_530.jpg
2012-07-27_10-17-22_469.jpg

for those of you wondering, the inside bulb is the hi/lo, and it looks like its the same bulb as our stock non sport trucks, so easy wiring for us, and the outside bulb is the turn signal, never noticed how freaking huge the turn signal was on these, thankfully the aftermarket has some that aren't enarly that size

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
question? what are you going to do with your old lights?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
did you catch a cold and go home yet to get these installed?

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
@gwolf, i honestly have no idea. figured i would put them in the garage and figure out a use for 'em at some point. Hell i have a brand new upper valence to a first gen s10 blazer and i've never even owned one. (i still wonder how and when that showed up) but if someone wanted 'em i'd probably part with them. some of the LEDs don't work perfectly, i forget which ones, but most of them work. and i think its missing 1 or 2 metal clips that should be easily replaced. (honestly might be able to steal them off of my old stock lights) if you were interested i could look into it, and would be open to offers. lol.

@wermbang, dear god do i wish i could develop a cold or a cough, but its in the 80s over here and my boss would know exactly what was up. lol. only an hour and a half left for today, than the next challenge is getting a couple hands to remove my bumper. the thing is freakin heavy, than i shall be going to town on the lights for a little while i am hoping atleast. As long as i can get a couple people over to help me, i'll work on it tonight, otherwise already have people lined up for tomorrow to help. lol.

i just want to get off work and go to town on it, but the i have a feeling most of my friends are going to be out on the river throwing back beers, since it is hot, i might have to wait until the morning when it will only be in the 70s. lol.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Use a floor jack and a board. I just had to loosen mine to get my headlights out. Your bumper may require 2 jacks lol
100_0632.jpg

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
lol, i was able to pull my stock one by myself just fine. lol but this one...i'm not gunna risk breaking something by doing it without extra hands. i'm not worried about the bumper, i'm worried about it slipping back into the truck and messing something up, or falling on me and breaking my foot. lol. I'm seriously counting the minutes, and i think the worst part about it is, once i get the lights mounted, i know that the ones i have won't be there long term, new lights will be coming down the road....lol