4” or 6”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see people saying if you are going to lift it 4” you are better off going 6” lift... why is that? Is it better for any reason or just a preference?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People say all sorts of stuff.. trouble is we all have different expectations, different habits, different needs, drive in different conditions.

I think the substance of what you're asking is that nearly all 4 inch or larger lifts are the exact same amount of work to install. Lifts under 2.5" are less work than 4" lifts, but 6" lifts are the exact same amount of work as 4" lifts if all that matters to you is cost-per-inch.
The alternative is buying (or not buying) based on actual need but if people bought lifts based on what they actually need almost nobody would buy any lift.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can’t argue with kurek. He’s right. 4 and 6 require the same work and cost roughly close to the same. Most people end up buying the 6” for that reason. Originally I wanted to go with a 4” kit but found that a 2.5” leveling kit fit my needs perfectly and requires no permanent vehicle modifications. Can fit 35s as well which was my only requirement for my truck. Biggest upside to the 2.5” kit was cost was a lot lower and I did all the work myself.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I see people saying if you are going to lift it 4” you are better off going 6” lift... why is that? Is it better for any reason or just a preference?
Well, what are your overall plans for the truck ..35s? 37s? .... wide stance?

Personally I always say go with the 6 inch, you can always go back down to 4" if you don't like it

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The biggest reason is because all the brackets are the same between the 4 and the 6. Meaning the front diff drops the same amount. The difference comes with the top hat spacers. The 4th gen ram really likes being at 5" in the front (another reason to recommend the 6")
The same guys EVERYTIME want to save the $60 on the 4" kit and within a few months are maxing Bilstein's and asking to put pucks on top of the top hat spacers. That is why 6" is always recommended. When you deal with professional's like @Nick@GotExhaust he asks the right questions and get the right kits.

99% of the guys running 4" lifts is because they want to fit in their garage. The ones shopping for lifts are trying to save money and the slightly less expensive lift looks appealing. So guys like @westcoasting get on here with their very fist post and ask about the appealing 4" lift. Go with the 6"

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The biggest reason is because all the brackets are the same between the 4 and the 6. Meaning the front diff drops the same amount. The difference comes with the top hat spacers. The 4th gen ram really likes being at 5" in the front (another reason to recommend the 6")
The same guys EVERYTIME want to save the $60 on the 4" kit and within a few months are maxing Bilstein's and asking to put pucks on top of the top hat spacers. That is why 6" is always recommended. When you deal with professional's like @Nick@GotExhaust he asks the right questions and get the right kits.

99% of the guys running 4" lifts is because they want to fit in their garage. The ones shopping for lifts are trying to save money and the slightly less expensive lift looks appealing. So guys like @westcoasting get on here with their very fist post and ask about the appealing 4" lift. Go with the 6"
WORD ! ....

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

as always this man hit the nail on the head. go with a 6" unless you have a garage you can only fit in with a 4". It is very common to see guys with a 4" kit asking on how to get more lift after a while.

OP
OP
W

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah I just assumed I wanted a 4” but after reading many posts ( and a lot from you ) recommending 6” I needed to confirm :) thanks!

OP
OP
W

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as always this man hit the nail on the head. go with a 6" unless you have a garage you can only fit in with a 4". It is very common to see guys with a 4" kit asking on how to get more lift after a while.
Hi Nick. Emailed you a few days ago about a 4” lift, didn’t want to bother you with trivial questions :) thanks!

OP
OP
W

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a 6” zone lift can I use 17” wheels or do I have to go to 20” ... I see reference to something like that but not a definitive answer on the site.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
straight from their site
  • Stock 17" wheels CAN NOT be re-installed. Stock 20" can be re-installed with factory tire.
However if you have aftermarket 17" wheels they may fit. Zone list this particular size to fit

Wheel Size17 x 9
Back Spacing4.5"

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
With a 6” zone lift can I use 17” wheels or do I have to go to 20” ... I see reference to something like that but not a definitive answer on the site.
Yes you can run 17” wheels it’s the back spacing that cuts it close do you already have the wheels?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hi Nick. Emailed you a few days ago about a 4” lift, didn’t want to bother you with trivial questions :) thanks!
Nick is straight up the man when it comes to going the extra mile, getting you the best deals, and being responsive.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Yep, gotta agree with the others here.... go 6" lift.

I've a 4.5/3 Maxtrac which I do not regret at all. At the time they did not offer a 6" lift, mine is 2WD, so it wasn't even an option. I also went that height to keep things practical with load a few dogs on.

Now that Ive had it on for 2 years, I'm certainly ready to bump up to 6". :waytogo:

OP
OP
W

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, gotta agree with the others here.... go 6" lift.

I've a 4.5/3 Maxtrac which I do not regret at all. At the time they did not offer a 6" lift, mine is 2WD, so it wasn't even an option. I also went that height to keep things practical with load a few dogs on.

Now that Ive had it on for 2 years, I'm certainly ready to bump up to 6". :waytogo:
Yeah I’m decided already I’m going 6” :)

OP
OP
W

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick is straight up the man when it comes to going the extra mile, getting you the best deals, and being responsive.
Yes I would rather deal with someone like nick across the country than someone with less knowledge closer :)