4.7 Cold Air Intakes (CAI) Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeThisRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to hear some personal experience with CAI's. Which brand is best, which brand is the cheapest, and which brand is the best for the money, HP per $? What kind of changes did you see? And try to be accurate when estimating torque and Horsepower gains. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DodgeThisRam03

DodgeThisRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to hear some reviews on the best CAI's on the market for the 3rd Gen 4.7. If you have any opinions feel free to chime in.

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a K&N 57 FIPK, I really like it.
Performance has really improve, especially at low RPMs.
They are just a little noisy, but not too bad.
I also gain .5 mpg
I just wish S&B had one for us.
You can check the Volant, which Ive heard runs really good too and is in a closed box, which restraints the noise.
hope that helps

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am running the volant. Its a little quieter than the open style k&n i used to have. Its the sealed box which helps with the noise and it is a little cheaper than most. I also noticed a little better throttle response from the volant compare to the k&n. As far as mpg increase i dont think i got much maybe a little less than stock simply bc of all the mods ive done. If i could do it all over again i would have went the route SmokedRam went with the stock box and airaid mit tube. Cheaper, better, easier and probably quieter than any true cai.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just run the AirAid MIT to the stock air box with a K&N drop in. I love it.

574492_316787445084222_180131317_n.jpg

I like your setup! :D

Airaid MIT, stock box, drop in Amsoil EAO filter and IAT relocated. Works great for me.

P1010765_zps366fd865.jpg

P1010771_zpsfa8ce489.jpg

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You notice any gains with the IAT being further out of the engine bay at all? I still have a "power wire" to install on mine.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You notice any gains with the IAT being further out of the engine bay at all? I still have a "power wire" to install on mine.

Yep. Truck's throttle is always very responsive with IAT in that location. You especially notice the difference when it's hot.

I would call this more of a throttle response mod. I used the extension wire and relocated it there, rather than doing the power wire. If you move it there, you won't need the power wire.

Here's a what long time Dodge Dyno Tech wrote about this mod on another forum:

What I noticed on my Hemi is that the stock Hemi hat/resonator gets considerably heat soaked in stop and go traffic. When I was viewing the inlet air temperature (IAT) sensor reading on a engineering or dealer scan tool the stock Hemi hat IAT sensor location took considerably longer to cool off once you got moving again where as the location about 2" from the entrance to the air cleaner box cooled off almost immediately once you started moving again. This is a small but definite advantage IMO.

Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is something I am gonna have to look into for sure. Maybe I will swap out to a dry flow filter and relocate mine. Where'd you get the IAT extender?

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is something I am gonna have to look into for sure. Maybe I will swap out to a dry flow filter and relocate mine. Where'd you get the IAT extender?

I picked up the extension wire from AIRRAM.

I used a rubber grommet for the IAT. I found the grommet at Home Depot in their electrical section. I drilled a hole at the top of the stock box. I placed the grommet and the sensor there.

I had an extra sensor laying around and used it to plug the original IAT location on the MIT.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I had to use get a grommet for the IAT on mine, cause it threads in and the AirAid wasn't set up for that. Unfortunately I didn't even think about home Depot and went to Advance and bought a whole flipping kit with drill bits, grommets and hole saw attachments just for the size grommet I needed...lol.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very interesting. I have always been told its better to have the IAT sensor closer to the tb as possible, but this theory does make sence. Maybe i will give this a shot as well considering i already have the power wire which makes it long enough to reach. I also have an old sensor and an extra gromet.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im also thinking about switching from the volant oiled filter to the volant dry filter. But before i drop 75 bucks what would be the difference in using the dry vs oiled filter? Except for maybe some of the oil being sucked in to the intake tube or tb.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very interesting. I have always been told its better to have the IAT sensor closer to the tb as possible, but this theory does make sence. Maybe i will give this a shot as well considering i already have the power wire which makes it long enough to reach. I also have an old sensor and an extra gromet.

He tested the locations with a scan tool, so think it's worth a shot. It's worked nicely on my truck. It's a cheap mod too. :)

OP
OP
DodgeThisRam03

DodgeThisRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to hear some personal experience with CAI's. Which brand is best, which brand is the cheapest, and which brand is the best for the money, HP per $? What kind of changes did you see? And try to be accurate when estimating torque and Horsepower gains. Thanks.

I want to continue this discussion and hear what you have to say.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He tested the locations with a scan tool, so think it's worth a shot. It's worked nicely on my truck. It's a cheap mod too. :)

so you noticed putting the iat sensor closer to the filter worked better? in what way?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres his reasoning on this:

Yep. Truck's throttle is always very responsive with IAT in that location. You especially notice the difference when it's hot.

I would call this more of a throttle response mod. I used the extension wire and relocated it there, rather than doing the power wire. If you move it there, you won't need the power wire.

What I noticed on my Hemi is that the stock Hemi hat/resonator gets considerably heat soaked in stop and go traffic. When I was viewing the inlet air temperature (IAT) sensor reading on a engineering or dealer scan tool the stock Hemi hat IAT sensor location took considerably longer to cool off once you got moving again where as the location about 2" from the entrance to the air cleaner box cooled off almost immediately once you started moving again. This is a small but definite advantage IMO.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres his reasoning on this:

That's interesting!! I'll try to relocate mine to see if I can notice a little more pep in throttle. Thanks for sharing the write up.