4.7 magnum replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Pasternak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
My 04 Ram 1500 recently kicked the bucket. It has a 4.7 magnum in it, I found another 4.7 out of an 03. Will this engine match up to mine?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Only difference might be crank tone wheel tooth count. If they're the same then it's a drop in.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
HemiLonestar is correct. Your 2003 model has a JTEC PCM which has a 3-plug electrical connection setup and you have a standalone TCM with a large, single plug. The JTEC PCM uses a 16 tooth crankshaft tone wheel.

When the 2004's were introduced Chrysler switched the engine and transmission management to the NGC controllers. These can be identified by the 4-plug electrical connection at the PCM. The NGC controllers use a 32 tooth crankshaft tone wheel.

Verify that your PCM has a 3-plug setup. If the motor you are looking at came from a truck with a
JTEC PCM (3-plug) then you can drop it in and it will fire up.

If it is from an NGC PCM truck, you will have to remove the oil pan and timing cover to get the crankshaft out and switch out the tone wheels. For the price of a windage tray (oil pan gasket) and a timing cover gasket this may be the cheaper route if you can get a good price on the 2004 motor.

soonerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Don't forget to change the right side tone wheel on the camshaft if you have the tone wheel to change on the crankshaft.