4 Wheel Drive Won't Engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You drive it on the street with the frt locked all the time?

As long as the dif is open, and the T-case is in 2wd, there is no problem with having the CAD engaged all the time, or even swapping out the two-piece axle shaft, for a one-piece unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Donelam304

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
As long as the dif is open, and the T-case is in 2wd, there is no problem with having the CAD engaged all the time, or even swapping out the two-piece axle shaft, for a one-piece unit.

I've searched for the delete kits, posi lock kit and the one that puts it locked in all the time. They are for the older trucks and not a 2014.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Donelam304

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
first things first. if your not familiar with the 4x4 system on these trucks and how its all tied together electrically, you need to find somebody who is and speak with them

mechanics 101 says that if a component doesnt have clear signs of failure then you need to bench test it. did you bench test the original cad actuator ? if not, it may be in good working condition and your problem lies else where. ive never had to test one but you should just be able to apply electrical current to the plug plongs and the motor will turn on and slide the fork. wiring diagram may help determine what electrical current is needed for testing. other wise consult with someone familiar with these electric systems

the second actuator you installed. was it genuine aam part or chinese knockoff ? im not even sure there is knockoff actuators but figured i would ask. stay with genuine aam parts

i believe it is possible to install the actuator in the axle housing and have it not be aligned in the collar groove. double check proper installation

the fact youve replaced two actuators and still theres a problem leads me to think that likely you have something going wrong elsewhere. we have these newer rams at work and the 4x4 system is extremely reliable for us
Yes, it was genuine part. We tried applying current on the old one and new ones and nothing. They don't work that way or something the mechanic at the shop said. We had the forks in in the slot also. It would be very hard to actually get it in there without getting it in the slot. And you can see it as you put it in. If I can, I'd lock the axle in all the time. That 1mpg isn't an issue. I found a kit to put hubs on it. But $2k isn't worth it.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

as far as i know they dont make a one piece axle for the 4 gens.

Last edited:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
What a PITA. Years ago I had a 94 Jeep Cherokee with the "SelectTrac" transfer case. Transfer case died 15 years later. It had 200,000 miles. No 4wd. At that time you could get a rebuilt one supposedly thru Mopar for a decent price. The first replacement had no AWD. Worked in 4HI and 4Lo and 2wd. Second one worked but wouldn't light the dash indicator lights. On third try Mopar sent new, old stock unit made the same 1994.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it was genuine part. We tried applying current on the old one and new ones and nothing. They don't work that way or something the mechanic at the shop said.

The way I understand this works you should get a "service 4wd system" if the actuator itself isn't working as expected. That makes me think that the electronics don't even try to shift the CAD because it doesn't get the signal from the transfer case. That's where i would look into. Maybe alpaOBD can show the TC switch status.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The way I understand this works you should get a "service 4wd system" if the actuator itself isn't working as expected. That makes me think that the electronics don't even try to shift the CAD because it doesn't get the signal from the transfer case. That's where i would look into. Maybe alpaOBD can show the TC switch status.

yes the tcase has to complete its shift first then a signal goes to the cad.
thats why i would of bench tested the cad, and there is a way to test it.
figuring out why the 4x4 isnt working should be a fairly simple process of elimination

OP
OP
Donelam304

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I ran alpha on it yesterday trying to get codes. And came up with nothing as far as fault codes. Is there a setting I can do the check just the transfer case???

OP
OP
Donelam304

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
yes the tcase has to complete its shift first then a signal goes to the cad.
thats why i would of bench tested the cad, and there is a way to test it.
figuring out why the 4x4 isnt working should be a fairly simple process of elimination
When you say bench test, you mean put power to it, correct???

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran alpha on it yesterday trying to get codes. And came up with nothing as far as fault codes. Is there a setting I can do the check just the transfer case???

alphaOBD has a "four-wheel drive" section with a "Drive train control module" and a "Final Drive control module". These are not present in my truck (2013 2500 without the CAD and a manual TC shifter) so this is merely an educated guess:

See if you can connect to one or both of them. If so click "Read System Status". This typically shows oodles of information, sift through it and look for something like transfer case switch or 4wd mode or similar (or post the output here). This flag should change when you shift in and out of four wheel drive (need to read states every time).

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say bench test, you mean put power to it, correct???

yes. it looks to be just a motor with shaft. perhaps a beveled spur gear at the shaft end, driving a couple more spur gears. i dont know what kind of electric power it requires as ive never had to test one. tomorow i could check my service manual and see if it says anything

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I tend to be more old school when it comes to diagnosing problems, but; If it were me, I would shift it into 4x4, raise the front tires off the ground, then see if you can spin the tires and front drive shaft by hand.

If the drive shaft spins, you have a mechanical problem inside the case.

If you can turn the passenger side tire, and it spins freely without causing the driver side to spin, the the CAD is not engaging.

If the drive shaft does not turn, but both tires turn (opposite directions) when you spin one by hand, then both the T-case and the CAD are working

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
semi 5.7
I was wondering of anyone has had the issue of the 4 wheel drive not engaging. I have the manual shift in the floor. I've replaced the 4 wheel drive actuator, twice now. I get no light or message on my dash as to what's wrong. No codes or anything. I have power to the actuator. Is there a relay built in to the fuse box that isn't listed.

I'm assuming the actuator is electrically controlled. Have you checked the fuse?

Dan Marmion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2008 Ram 2500 and my shifter wouldn't engage, laid under the truck and found the linkage slipped out of the ball joint, temperary fix is to zip tie it in.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I tend to be more old school when it comes to diagnosing problems, but; If it were me, I would shift it into 4x4, raise the front tires off the ground, then see if you can spin the tires and front drive shaft by hand.

If the drive shaft spins, you have a mechanical problem inside the case.

If you can turn the passenger side tire, and it spins freely without causing the driver side to spin, the the CAD is not engaging.

If the drive shaft does not turn, but both tires turn (opposite directions) when you spin one by hand, then both the T-case and the CAD are working

I seen this dun on my truck up on lift, mechanic was testing front and back diffs. He was replacing rear parking break "DRUM" pads, inside rear disk rotors. Looks like a PITA.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can hear it shifting in the transfer case.

is it a 2sec electric motor sound? if so thats the cad. tcase shifts instant and really you dont hear it. remind me again why you think your 4x4 isnt working? maybe jack the tires up and see if it engaging

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What year is the truck? I had an 06 2500 4x4. I tried the 4x4 lever one day and the lever just moved loosely bain and out but not going into 4x4. I crawled under and found the linkage arm had fallen out. The two grommets were rotten, actually one was loose, and the other had fallen out. I order 2 from somewhere on the internet (forgot from who). If this is your problem, have plenty of patience. There is very little room for you hand on the upper grommet. A little grease helps, as they are a try and try again fix until you finally. It took several beers, hours of swearing and they finally stayed in. I use zip ties to secure the linkage together as an additional safety measure, but the grommets are the main repair.