4 wheel low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it normal to have to practically STAND on the brakes when I shift into 4 low in my 2018 PW? What gives?

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Put that bad boy in neutral then give it a second and it will shift into 4 lo easier

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not normal. What is your procedure to shift?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like his issue isnt getting it into 4lo...its not being able to stop the truck when in 4lo.

I dont have that issue. But have read of others having it.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you shifting the transmission into neutral first? I know you can be in neutral and slowly rolling but I just come to a full stop, shift to neutral and it shifts right up into 4Low

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is it normal to have to practically STAND on the brakes when I shift into 4 low in my 2018 PW? What gives?
Sounds to me like you had the same reaction that I had first time I put my 2018 PW in 4 low. LOTS of low end power in these trucks when you combine the HP and the gearing. This is definitely NOT the same as my old 73 PW! LOVE IT!!!!

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like his issue isnt getting it into 4lo...its not being able to stop the truck when in 4lo.

I dont have that issue. But have read of others having it.

if that’s the case then I know what he is talking about. In 4 lo locked in the truck wants to crawl a little, you definitely have to put a little more foot into the brake then you do during normal driving I have found. I don’t consider it a problem just the nature of the beast.

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck will crawl along up my gravel driveway with a slight grade (5% or so) in 4 lo lockers engaged at 1-2 mph with me giving it no gas at all.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck will crawl along up my gravel driveway with a slight grade (5% or so) in 4 lo lockers engaged at 1-2 mph with me giving it no gas at all.

Sure, thats normal. But can you stop it if you want?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If the OP is talking about shifting from park to drive to neutral to reverse...then yea you do have to stand on the brakes. Because you also need to stop those back tires.

In 2wd and even 4 hi...the front brakes can hold the truck with little pressure.

Being in 4lo will usually see an increase in idle rpm as well.

Now if he is talking about shifting from 2wd to 4lo...there is no need to be on the brakes at all.

You are supposed to make the shift in neutral coasting at 1 to 2 mph.

Although, you can just do it in neutral with the brakes applied.

My guess is he means shifting the transmission not shifting the transfer case.

My 99 with a clutch and a 5 speed can pull our in 5th fear just dropping the clutch...so yeah, there is lots of torque to hold back in 4 lo and standing on the brakes would not be out of the ordinary.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is he means shifting the transmission not shifting the transfer case.

I dont think he is referring to shifting at all...sounds to me like he is having trouble stopping. But, his question is quite vague.

Time to chime back in OP!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

@olyelr

Says shift right in his question.

He is very vague. And i am also assuming he is exaggerating the stand on the brakes.

It does also take more effort to stop when in 4lo. Emphasis on more effort, not all you got.

You really need to make sure you come to a complete stop when shifting in 4lo. You do not drive like you can get away with in 2wd. No reverse neutral drive shift (like when backing out of a parking spot) without coming to a complete stop.

If you get what I mean.

Dragging my 2nd Gen around in the mud this weekend. There is no need for throttle input...lots of brake pressure though.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@olyelr

Says shift right in his question.

He is very vague. And i am also assuming he is exaggerating the stand on the brakes.

It does also take more effort to stop when in 4lo. Emphasis on more effort, not all you got.

You really need to make sure you come to a complete stop when shifting in 4lo. You do not drive like you can get away with in 2wd. No reverse neutral drive shift (like when backing out of a parking spot) without coming to a complete stop.

If you get what I mean.

Dragging my 2nd Gen around in the mud this weekend. There is no need for throttle input...lots of brake pressure though.

Yes his question is vague. But, I have read MANY threads and posts of people complaining that they cant hardly stop the truck in 4 low. Literally, as in STANDING on the brakes and it barely stops. I do not have this issue, but many do.

As far as shifting into 4low, my truck has to be rolling. If its stopped, it will not switch from neutral to low.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switch in and out with a little roll. My 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins need the same. Think it’s with all manual shifts. My Kubota RTV, previous Massey and all the John Deere’s have/had manual shift in transfer case and required a roll. With all, they need “gravity assist” to disengage. If in drive and pointing up the grade, it just won’t come out. Thought I throw that in even though I believe y’all are right and I misread the original question. I don’t have to stand on the breaks to stop but now that I think about it I not sure if I ever tried to stop in 4L. I’m always planning how to shift out of low from the get go and have no need to stop. Now I want to test it out.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes his question is vague. But, I have read MANY threads and posts of people complaining that they cant hardly stop the truck in 4 low. Literally, as in STANDING on the brakes and it barely stops. I do not have this issue, but many do.

As far as shifting into 4low, my truck has to be rolling. If its stopped, it will not switch from neutral to low.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I have no problem with shifting into 4Lo. Once there, it requires a good deal of brake pedal pressure to hold the truck in the stopped position. The first time I did it it surprised me! However, it looks like this is normal based on the comments. Thanks.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@Buttyman

Thanks for stoppingg back in. Yeah there is a lot of power to hold back once you select 4 lo. Especially if you have the lockers engaged.

All 4 wheels are trying to move that Powerwagon. And the 392 Hemi has a good bit of grunt to let them have the power

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Buttyman

Thanks for stoppingg back in. Yeah there is a lot of power to hold back once you select 4 lo. Especially if you have the lockers engaged.

All 4 wheels are trying to move that Powerwagon. And the 392 Hemi has a good bit of grunt to let them have the power

Not to mention, in 4lo the idle gets bumped up a few hundred rpm so it makes it even worse.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not to mention, in 4lo the idle gets bumped up a few hundred rpm so it makes it even worse.
Being in 4lo will usually see an increase in idle rpm as well.

I did...lol.

The 8 spd allows the new Powerwagon to hit (I will have to look again to be exact) over 40 Mph.

My 99 in 5th fear was tached out at 4600 rpm at 35.

What the 8 spd did for the PW is amazing. Now if they would just offer 35s with a 4.88 gear from the factory...i would give up my long bed and get one...

(Secretly wishing they would offer the Regular Cab again like in the first new generation..06 to 09)

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ram says the 8-speed allows the Power Wagon reach aspeed of up to 55 MPH in 4LO. Feb 27, 2019

Amazing. And why they were hitting jumps with the promotional images so easily.