4 x 2 in rain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. Although, this is South Florida and folks will do 90 in the rain with bald tires in a Geo... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No different in Tampa where every road goes under water as the storm starts. Lunatics I tell ya!!!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Man, how did I ever survive growing up in Florida back when we didn't have auto 4x4? Crazy.

Seriously, you don't need 4x4 in the rain, all you need is decent tires (ie. Not bald), apply the throttle smoothly (don't floor it from a stop) and you will have no problems.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, how did I ever survive growing up in Florida back when we didn't have auto 4x4? Crazy.

I was wondering the same thing. Never had 4x4 till I was living in Omaha. My first '09 Ram was a 4x4 and the only time I turned it on was on a dirt road, just to see if it worked. never used it again. But it was also not an auto 4x4. i "might" have bought a 4x4 with the auto setting, but probably not. Been down south a lot of years, and just haven't needed it.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had no issues with 4x2 with rain down here. Highway speeds with a good downpour or city driving.

Flot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Didn't realize we had so many South Florida folks.

My 2011 Ram was 2wd with limited slip and factory Wrangler SR-As. Never had any "issues" with the rain, but the rear end would definitely break loose if you gave it too much throttle.

New 2019 is 4wd, I leave it in 2wd most of the time, switch to 4 auto in bad weather and I do notice a difference.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we have a deal on a 2wd with the limited slip. Pending financing we will pick her up. I will switch out the factory tires with my Terra Grappler G2s if we end up buying this truck.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Seriously, you don't need 4x4 in the rain, all you need is decent tires (ie. Not bald), apply the throttle smoothly (don't floor it from a stop) and you will have no problems.

When I have my daughter in the truck I hardly tap it, but still if it just rained the right rear will start as if it were on ice till T/C kicks in. If if in 4-auto it just goes. Believe me when I say Im in no hurry when I have a 3 month old in the back seat but terrible cars, plus instant rain = no traction. Its not tires, brand new Ridge Grapplers, the open differential makes it much worse that it should be.

My s-10 was the worst, with nothing in the bed that thing was basically a kite on wet roads.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I have my daughter in the truck I hardly tap it, but still if it just rained the right rear will start as if it were on ice till T/C kicks in. If if in 4-auto it just goes. Believe me when I say Im in no hurry when I have a 3 month old in the back seat but terrible cars, plus instant rain = no traction. Its not tires, brand new Ridge Grapplers, the open differential makes it much worse that it should be.

My s-10 was the worst, with nothing in the bed that thing was basically a kite on wet roads.

I think it is one of those things, that if you haven't used 4-auto in Florida rain/steets then you don't know any better.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Do you guys down in fl have some special kind of rain? Up here we get hammered by rain and overflowing sea walls but still never need 4x4. Knowing how to drive and decent rubber makes a huge difference.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do you guys down in fl have some special kind of rain? Up here we get hammered by rain and overflowing sea walls but still never need 4x4. Knowing how to drive and decent rubber makes a huge difference.

We have a special kind of stupid on the road and a terrible case of overpopulation. You have no option but to drive more reckless than you would like or risk being slammed into. It doesn’t help that every road floods (we are at sea level and a swamp) and that drainage sucks. Plus, all of the sound walls they have put on our highways just so they can build homes up against them basically hold the rain in. That and the express lanes that are walled in now.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Lol, yeah same situation here. Moving to the northeast Maine woods soon hopefully. I can’t stand people anymore, it almost seems as if we as a population are getting more stupid by the day!

Yep.

Those of you who turn 4WDAuto on when it rains. Can you do that while moving or do you need to be stopped?

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done it while moving and at all speeds.

I don't know what it is about the rain or the roads but they can get super slippery.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done it while moving and at all speeds.

I don't know what it is about the rain or the roads but they can get super slippery.

I'll definitely agree that I think your roads are more slick in the rain than ours, I'd place it worse than ours in rain but not as bad as snow obviously. The only thing I like about winter/snow is sliding around in my truck, love some 2wd traction control off action. Although sliding around in snow is pretty predictable as long as you know how to counter steer, maybe with the oiled up roads down there/material of the road itself, its more of a handful than i remember.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You can turn 4auto on any time and even use it at highway speeds. It's only going to kick the front wheels in when it detects slip in the rear wheels, so you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend running in actual 4x4 mode on the highway, that's a great way to overheat the 4x4 system and then *kaboom* it all comes flying out from under the vehicle at speed.

Typically 4x4 LOW you want to limit speeds to 30MPH and below. 4x4 High is good for higher speeds, I've always heard up to 55MPH. If you are going faster than that but still worried about standing water or slick surfaces use 4auto.

And just to confirm from our previous conversation, turning it on at any time means I can be cruising at 60-70 and hold the button to turn it on with no issues?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not really a special kind of rain, although it is all at once instead of a full day washout. The issue is the population density in the citys and the condition of the cars. Lack of emissions creates a fun mix of terrible leaking cars. You get out of the citys of stupid and its smooth and calm, in the city is a chaos ridden ice rink of insanity. When I
And just to confirm from our previous conversation, turning it on at any time means I can be cruising at 60-70 and hold the button to turn it on with no issues?

4auto can be engaged and disengaged at any speed.

And the roads are like ice/snow when it poors for a minute and slicks it up. Its more like a small area of black ice a few feet in behind the line at nearly every traffic light. Unlike black ice though its not a whole lane wide is in the lines a foot or so on each side. If Im dead center in the lane I dont notice it, its only when Im off center because the guy next to me is large or too far over. So its not like the northern guys by any means. It is zero traction though if you are in it, so one tire regardless of power starts to get rowdy till either traction control kicks on, or have limited slip. Id bet money if I had a torsen rear like I want i wouldnt use 4auto at all unless im off road.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I am going to pick her up in a few hours. I guess I will know in a few days how it is in the rain.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes, you can go to 4auto at any speed. You can leave it in 4auto if you really want to... though your fuel mileage may suffer a tiny bit.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you can go to 4auto at any speed. You can leave it in 4auto if you really want to... though your fuel mileage may suffer a tiny bit.

See i thought that as well. Mine gets super fussy on slow corners as well mid throttle acceleration. You can hear/feel the engagement and disengagement. Its not harsh but its there. I also think Im one of the few guys who doesnt complain about how responsive it is, mine is always ready.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks guys, just want to make sure when I’m driving towards a wall of rain at highway speeds that I don’t mess something up when I engage lol. Sorry OP that we hijacked this thread.