Missing Rain-Sensing Software?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkw1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a windshield ding in my '21 1500 Big Horn the other day. National glass company mobile unit shows up yesterday to attempt the spot-fix. Warns me in advance it might not work - it does not and makes it worse while the dude is here. We call his office to set up the full replacement. He tells me the truck has rain-sensitive wipers. I say it doesn't. He says it does. I say I've had the truck for 2 years and it doesn't. He shows me the sensor-eye in the windshield. I feel stupid. He orders the glass, sets up the replacement appointment and leaves. I spend the next 2 hours and more time yesterday looking in my manuals, online, etc. Finally find the Mopar video on YouTube showing where and how to turn this feature on. I go through the step-by-step instructions and when I get to the spot in Uconnect where the control SHOULD be to turn on rain-sensitive wipers - nothing. The option is nowhere to be found. Ain't in the software for my truck. I take it to the dealer this afternoon. And the knuckledragger "Service Advisor" cannot get in his head what I am explaining. Tells me they have to take the truck and do a full diagnosis on it to determine why it's not working. I tell him - there is no software in the vehicle that recognizes there is even a sensor-eye to turn on. I get the blank stare. (Yes, I checked the Uconnect website with my VIN for any updates - it says I am current.) Anyone ever have this happen? IS there an update file that Mopar's website is not aware of? How can I check what version I AM running? ANY and all help and comments welcome! Thanks!

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could it be that the windshields have the sensor, but vehicles that don't have that feature don't have all the hardware or appropriate software to use it? My '21 Big Horn doesn't have rain sensing wipers either. Now you've got me curious though, if you can tell me where the sensor is I could tell you if I have one too.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Got a windshield ding in my '21 1500 Big Horn the other day. National glass company mobile unit shows up yesterday to attempt the spot-fix. Warns me in advance it might not work - it does not and makes it worse while the dude is here. We call his office to set up the full replacement. He tells me the truck has rain-sensitive wipers. I say it doesn't. He says it does. I say I've had the truck for 2 years and it doesn't. He shows me the sensor-eye in the windshield. I feel stupid. He orders the glass, sets up the replacement appointment and leaves. I spend the next 2 hours and more time yesterday looking in my manuals, online, etc. Finally find the Mopar video on YouTube showing where and how to turn this feature on. I go through the step-by-step instructions and when I get to the spot in Uconnect where the control SHOULD be to turn on rain-sensitive wipers - nothing. The option is nowhere to be found. Ain't in the software for my truck. I take it to the dealer this afternoon. And the knuckledragger "Service Advisor" cannot get in his head what I am explaining. Tells me they have to take the truck and do a full diagnosis on it to determine why it's not working. I tell him - there is no software in the vehicle that recognizes there is even a sensor-eye to turn on. I get the blank stare. (Yes, I checked the Uconnect website with my VIN for any updates - it says I am current.) Anyone ever have this happen? IS there an update file that Mopar's website is not aware of? How can I check what version I AM running? ANY and all help and comments welcome! Thanks!

There is long post on another forum about BigHorn and rain sensor.

You don't have rain sensor. But you can.

/Quoted from other place.

Part number I bought was 68298334AA.

Enabled the following:
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM

I now have rain sensing wipers!

So to confirm, if you have auto climate control and not rain sense, the sensor located under mirror shroud is a humidity sensor only to tell the truck when to turn on defrost.

The part number above is the rain sensor and humidity sensor in one. No extra wiring necessary, plug and play.

/Quote

So you should tell that person, it's not rain sensor, it's humidity sensor. You can of course add it.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you had a Safelite moron. I stopped using them after I received 3 broken or chipped replacement windshields in a row for my truck about 8 months ago. Found a local shop that did it better and faster.