46RE wont shift into 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crlangley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So I have a question and I am a little confused. I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. For a few months when going from 2nd to 3rd gear it would shift late at around 3500-4000 RPM. Then on Easter Morning it finally gave out on me and I couldn't go over ten miles an hour. I ran seafoam through the system then pulled the transmission pan (Bottom of pan had roughly 2 inches of thick gunk). Also on the magnet the 2nd band collar had cracked off and was sitting in the pan. I replaced the band with the new thicker reinforced version of the band. I did Band adjustment by the book to 72 In LBS and then backed off 2 and half turns. I drove it and it would not go into 3rd at all and was having issues staying in 2nd. Adjusted the band again slightly and it allowed constant access to 2nd and 1st gear. Drove the truck around for a while and the check engine light came on. Had the code read out and it Was P1757. Added Seafoam again and ran it for a while on jacks to get the fluid in the through the valve body trying to free up anything inside as the transmission was extremely dirty prior to the first drain and the second drain was already black after only a day of running. I replaced the Transmission Control Solenoid due to the engine code that I got whilst driving. I Changed the filter again and serviced her up again and she ran perfect through all gears for a long while on jack stands but when I dropped her and drove her I could only get First and Second Gear consistently. I would get third from time to time but then she would kick back down into second. I removed the kick down cable to the transmission to see if I could force her to stay in gear just to rule out the cable but she still kicked down into second anyway. I am trying to prevent myself from having to get a new transmission or rebuild this one. Is it a lost cause or am I overlooking something?? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I did replace the Throttle Position Sensor at the same time and I changed the band due to a separate issue with the engine revving to 1000 rpm at idle and back to zero pretty consistently. Transmission is a Automatic 4 Speed 46RE.

Last edited:

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the same boat with third gear being the problem issue. I thought it was second at first. I have never tried seafoam. I did however try the Lucas trans fix but that worked for a little while but now its back. I am thinking of draining it and doing a filter change with new fluid but as we know the torque convertor will still have it in there. I'm trying to slowly build up cash to have it rebuilt as soon as I can. I have replaced the solenoids in the past along with the speed sensor and that spring that has been known to break. When I replaced that spring, that was when the slipping issue came into play and I got aggravated and parked it thinking I would come back to it but things happened and she sat for about 5+ years. Then I got her back up and running good. Now it's time to address that issue again. In my 20s, I would have just pulled and replaced it at the least but now in my 50s. Well, that isn't a option anymore. At 162,000, I'm sure it's time for a rebuild anyway.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered the tA518 46RE 48RE Transmission Filter Kit w/ Solenoid & Sensor Set 1998-99. I figured it's worth a try at this point. It was $135 after taxes.
This was a over the time issue. First time was limp mode that had me change both solenoids. Second time again limp mode that had me change the speed sensor and the third time was going it was in and out of over drive. Transmission guy suggest the spring in the valve body was most likely broken ( He was correct) so I ordered and changed it. That's when the slipping started. At this point my frustration got the best of me so I parked it with intentions for a rebuild but wife got sick and truck sat for a few years. Anyway, I recently been back on it and sometimes it shifts a little funny then it would slips so I thought trying this one thing and seeing if maybe by a miracle it may work long enough to give it some driving time till I build up the cash for a full rebuild. I'm digging in and using my last band aids. lol

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't seen you back on but my trans book say the P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI in gear with 0 MPH

Sbrossard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I have a question and I am a little confused. I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. For a few months when going from 2nd to 3rd gear it would shift late at around 3500-4000 RPM. Then on Easter Morning it finally gave out on me and I couldn't go over ten miles an hour. I ran seafoam through the system then pulled the transmission pan (Bottom of pan had roughly 2 inches of thick gunk). Also on the magnet the 2nd band collar had cracked off and was sitting in the pan. I replaced the band with the new thicker reinforced version of the band. I did Band adjustment by the book to 72 In LBS and then backed off 2 and half turns. I drove it and it would not go into 3rd at all and was having issues staying in 2nd. Adjusted the band again slightly and it allowed constant access to 2nd and 1st gear. Drove the truck around for a while and the check engine light came on. Had the code read out and it Was P1757. Added Seafoam again and ran it for a while on jacks to get the fluid in the through the valve body trying to free up anything inside as the transmission was extremely dirty prior to the first drain and the second drain was already black after only a day of running. I replaced the Transmission Control Solenoid due to the engine code that I got whilst driving. I Changed the filter again and serviced her up again and she ran perfect through all gears for a long while on jack stands but when I dropped her and drove her I could only get First and Second Gear consistently. I would get third from time to time but then she would kick back down into second. I removed the kick down cable to the transmission to see if I could force her to stay in gear just to rule out the cable but she still kicked down into second anyway. I am trying to prevent myself from having to get a new transmission or rebuild this one. Is it a lost cause or am I overlooking something?? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I did replace the Throttle Position Sensor at the same time and I changed the band due to a separate issue with the engine revving to 1000 rpm at idle and back to zero pretty consistently. Transmission is a Automatic 4 Speed 46RE.
Well black is an indication of your torque converter fail. There are 2 bands 1,2, rev and 3,4 (order the Kevlar 727 belt cheaper thicker better) there is the bogwarner upgrade and ream (3/4" on underside of solenoid), check electrical plugs for oil ***********. The rebuild is pretty straightforward and there are some great utube videos from transmission training school on this transmission. To things is the overdrive unit requires a special tool and press (600lbs compression) to access and the pump gap are the trickiest of the hole thing. You can have a shop install all new clutch and friction disc just for the overdrive unit. And once you get it back together have the transmission shop run a diagnostic check. There is 6 upgrade parts that 4 of which could be had for about $100.00 now if your not going to be above 500hp you won't need the billit drive shafts or band strap spreader. But please get the other 3 for sure. And tight/adjust bands every 20k. And install drain plug. Other options are a deep pan with a internal spacer for the pick up/filter. And an extra oil cooler and here were a gauge would be great. Other considerations would be upgrade the tourqe converter. (This is also an idem that can be diagnostic checked but for a little more money life time replacement one can be obtained. There are shift kits available and can be installed with the transmission in the truck. But I would just do the solenoid upgrade and piston upgrade your choice on the other things.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just had this happen on my 97 5.9 1500 4x4. Had my local repair shop check it out and found out the 3rd gear clutch were burned from lack of lubrication due to a plugged TC anti drain valve. Went ahead an ordered a remanufactured Jasper 46RE with 36 month/100,000 mile warranty. Also having him remove anti drain valve. Not a big fan of rebuild transmissions. The new transmission was expensive but peace of mind with these things are worth a lot!

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There are 2 bands 1,2, rev and 3,4
No. The rear band is applied for reverse and manual low gear. The front (intermediate) band is applied in 2nd gear. In drive - 1st gear = rear clutch + rear sprag (over-running) clutch. 2nd gear = rear clutch + the front (intermediate) band. 3rd gear = rear clutch + front clutch. If you have 1st + 2nd gears, then a free rev like neutral - the front clutch is not applying - either wore out or the seal is damaged. You probably don't have reverse either.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Interesting, I had reverse, 1st, 2nd but no 3rd.
In your case you could have had a stuck 2-3 shift valve. But. If the front clutch is worn out to the point that you don't have 3rd, it's odd that reverse worked - it's used for both. And when the drainback valve fails, it usually fries the intermediate shaft, support, and planetaries - the drums are fed through the front pump and input shaft - not the rear of the case where the fluid returns from the cooler.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963