4th gen classic or 5th gen???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luis Guillen Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello all, new member here. I am looking for a hard flip up bed cover that will open all the way. I'm looking at the Gator Quad flip but it is asking if i have a classic. I'm pretty sure that it is 5th gen but not 100% sure, is there a way to check? Also what is the difference between a 4th gen bed and a 5th gen bed? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Is it the body style like mine below, or the new body style. Classic is still the 4th gen body style, like mine below. 5th gen is a whole new design, and bed I believe.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As stated above the beds are different from 4thGen to 5thGen. That said, the area a bed cover goes is similar. Sometimes they will fit if they are not designed to be specific.

A 4thGen would be listed compatible with 2009 to 2018 and 2019 to 2020 classic.

5thGen would be listed compatible with 2019 and 2020.

4thGen is designated DS
5thGen is designated DT

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello all, new member here. I am looking for a hard flip up bed cover that will open all the way. I'm looking at the Gator Quad flip but it is asking if i have a classic. I'm pretty sure that it is 5th gen but not 100% sure, is there a way to check? Also what is the difference between a 4th gen bed and a 5th gen bed? Thanks for any help in this matter.
Much easier for us to tell you if you include a picture of your truck. It's pretty obvious at a glance. But the easiest way for you to tell is the number of lug nuts. If it has five it's a 4th gen (including 2019-2020 classic), and if it has six it's a 5th gen.

Here's a 4th gen (two actually)...

Yin yang 1.png

Here's a 5th gen...

IMG_0206.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes sir, thats a 5th gen.
Beautiful truck BTW!

OP
OP
L

Luis Guillen Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks Graygoose, I was driving a 88' Chevy 1500 that finally died on me. It was a great truck that I bought from a friend for my son to go to college then when he upgraded I took it back and drove it till it couldn't go any further. I upgraded to the Ram and i'm in heaven. LOL

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Thanks Graygoose, I was driving a 88' Chevy 1500 that finally died on me. It was a great truck that I bought from a friend for my son to go to college then when he upgraded I took it back and drove it till it couldn't go any further. I upgraded to the Ram and i'm in heaven. LOL
well you made a great choice, beautiful color.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So how the the new truck compare to the old... huge difference huh lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
L

Luis Guillen Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pur
So how the the new truck compare to the old... huge difference huh lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Chevy was a two door 2wd Cheyenne with a V6. I cant begin to list all the differences. The Ram is like a spaceship compared to the chevy. lol I am really happy with the Ram.
I ordered the Gator FX hard quad-fold tonneau cover for the 5th gen, says it will be here Sept 11th. I'll post a pic when I get it on.