4th Gen LED to LED Morimoto Harness Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kase4387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8, HEMI
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I am having an issue with these tail lights as well, with my Factory LED lights.

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sounds good . You don't by chance have a direct link for the 2 and 3 pin Female connectors to plug into the morimoto h harness do ya? Those links were to a generic page and there's tons of options, not exactly sure how to narrow it down. Good luck with it man! Hope to hear some good news!
Did you ever figure this out? I'm dead in the water too.

Houston Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't made time to try anything. Really haven't dug into any further. I bought the mx+and alfaobd but everything's still in its boxes. My theory is to find a 1500 thats non factory led at a salvage yard clip those connectors and rig em up (so some testing to see which wire performs each function) to a male/ female pigtail (can't remember which it calls for?)that'll plug into our trucks taillight connector that way you can utilize the resistor/ module or whatever is included in the morimoto harness. Sorry no help. I am curious what you might've tried already though

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey brother, actually I was able to create my harness! After a few re-pins & soldering, I made a clean plug & play harness. I did get the “bulb out” warning on the cluster. I’ve been slammed at work, so tomorrow I’m going to go through and shut the signal off with the obd-mx+. So I’ll update you guys asap this weekend, hopefully with a more direct way to handle the led tails > led morimotos.
Hi, do you have anymore updates on this? Would greatly appreciate anything you learned about the harness.

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I haven't made time to try anything. Really haven't dug into any further. I bought the mx+and alfaobd but everything's still in its boxes. My theory is to find a 1500 thats non factory led at a salvage yard clip those connectors and rig em up (so some testing to see which wire performs each function) to a male/ female pigtail (can't remember which it calls for?)that'll plug into our trucks taillight connector that way you can utilize the resistor/ module or whatever is included in the morimoto harness. Sorry no help. I am curious what you might've tried already though
I figured these out today. Essentially, I bypassed the tail light harness from the truck and ran the Morimoto tail wires to the 7 pin trailer harness.
To make things cleaner, I found an older wiring harness from a RAM and used the 2 pin and 3 pin connectors to attach to the Morimoto tail. Then I ran those wires (4) to the 7 pin.

All lights work as expected and there are no errors.

if anyone needs additional info, let me know.

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Excellent! Can't wait to install!
I ended up hooking into the back side of the 7 pin to make it cleaner. That involves using wire splicers. But, with a little bit of liquid electrical tape, all will be good.

If you need wiring positions, let me know.

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
071FE15A-3B41-4527-A65C-DF8C7E731D1C.jpeg

Attachments

• 37A181E8-73F6-41B8-870C-11595C535C18.jpeg
    37A181E8-73F6-41B8-870C-11595C535C18.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 11

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That would be very helpful and time saving
Here are the detailed instructions that I was speaking about earlier. Feel free to ask additional questions. I know that this was stumping me for the past week. I pulled this together from multiple sources online and offline.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.25.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.25.13 PM.png
    673.4 KB · Views: 31

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here are the detailed instructions that I was speaking about earlier. Feel free to ask additional questions. I know that this was stumping me for the past week. I pulled this together from multiple sources online and offline.

The only issue that I have now noticed (very minor) is that since the 7 Pin trailer harness doesn’t get power until the ignition has been triggered, the right tail light won’t blink when pushing unlock on the key fob. I might turn that option off and go with horn blow instead.

Kemoulton428

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey brother, actually I was able to create my harness! After a few re-pins & soldering, I made a clean plug & play harness. I did get the “bulb out” warning on the cluster. I’ve been slammed at work, so tomorrow I’m going to go through and shut the signal off with the obd-mx+. So I’ll update you guys asap this weekend, hopefully with a more direct way to handle the led tails > led morimotos.
Hey Beard. Can you help me get the parts to make my harness. Looking to get my headlights installed this week.

Fito_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys, new to the forums here. So I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere etc. With that being said, any/all help is greatly appreciated!

-----

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie that comes stock with LED Tail Lights. I came across a good deal on the Morimoto Tail Led Tail Lights, as I already have the Morimoto Head Lights, and am trying make the lights match up. Now, as many of you already know where this discussion is going, I am looking for some help with creating a harness that will allow for the Morimoto tail lights to work with my current setup.

I did some bench testing, and here is what I determined for wire color coding: (if I'm incorrect on these, please let me know)

STOCK LED HARNESS: (harness that is actually connected to the stock tail light)
  • Black - Ground (-) (x2)
  • Yellow - Running/Park (+)
  • Purple - Reverse (+)
  • Green - Turn Signal (+)
MORIMOTO LED HARNESS: (harness that is actually connected to the morimoto tail light)
  • White - Reverse (+)
  • Blue - Running/Park (+)
  • Red - Turn Signal (+)
With the above info, from what I can tell is accurate, would I be able to simply create a new harness? I've been reading about the "bulb out" warning in relation to the central body controller (cbc). I've also seen suggestions of adding a relay, a voltage reducer etc.

Has anyone actually created a harness for this type of setup, and if so, was it successful? I am looking to create my own and want to just confirm the wiring layout/configuration. I'm not a wiring expert but get the concept. Again, I am new to this model and am looking to come up with a solution because I've searched high & low and reached out to several harness companies with no luck at this time. There has to be a way lol

I have some wiring parts coming in tomorrow, so I will do some more testing and update my findings. Again, any input is welcomed!

~joe
Did you ever find a hardness that help you with the problem?

Sustyi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys, new to the forums here. So I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere etc. With that being said, any/all help is greatly appreciated!

-----

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie that comes stock with LED Tail Lights. I came across a good deal on the Morimoto Tail Led Tail Lights, as I already have the Morimoto Head Lights, and am trying make the lights match up. Now, as many of you already know where this discussion is going, I am looking for some help with creating a harness that will allow for the Morimoto tail lights to work with my current setup.

I did some bench testing, and here is what I determined for wire color coding: (if I'm incorrect on these, please let me know)

STOCK LED HARNESS: (harness that is actually connected to the stock tail light)
  • Yellow - Running/Park (+)
  • Purple - Reverse (+)
  • Green - Turn Signal (+)
MORIMOTO LED HARNESS: (harness that is actually connected to the morimoto tail light)
  • White - Reverse (+)
  • Blue - Running/Park (+)
  • Red - Turn Signal (+)
With the above info, from what I can tell is accurate, would I be able to simply create a new harness? I've been reading about the "bulb out" warning in relation to the central body controller (cbc). I've also seen suggestions of adding a relay, a voltage reducer etc.

Has anyone actually created a harness for this type of setup, and if so, was it successful? I am looking to create my own and want to just confirm the wiring layout/configuration. I'm not a wiring expert but get the concept. Again, I am new to this model and am looking to come up with a solution because I've searched high & low and reached out to several harness companies with no luck at this time. There has to be a way lol

I have some wiring parts coming in tomorrow, so I will do some more testing and update my findings. Again, any input is welcomed!

~joe