4th Gen Ram 2500 life expectancy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmroz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
New to forum and to RAM. Considering buying a 2010 2500 Laramie diesel with 135K miles on it. I'm in southern CA so rust is not an issue. It's reasonably priced. I now my question hinges on who owned the truck and what they did with it. Assuming the truck has been maintained and not abused, what problems can I expect? What should I look out for? If buying a high mileage truck is a mistake I would like to avoid it. I appreciate everyone's experience and expertise. Thanks

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whats The price on the truck?
Are you buying it private party or dealership? Have you checked the car fax? Do they have maintained reciepts?

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Overall I'd say the life expectancy would easily be in the 2-300K range if reasonably cared for. Most vehicles manufactured these days can do that amount. As for the engine, the oil burners here would have to chime in. Cummins has always had a good reputation across all the industries it supplies so I'd have to guess it's going to outlast the body and the other mechanical bits~~

You are in Cali so I guess that there would been no rust issues, although the 4th gen trucks seem to have beaten that problem that the 3rd gen units had, rusting over the rear wheels even if the trucks are kept pristine.

OP
OP
P

pmroz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Truck is for sale by dealer. Carfax shows 1 owner and looks like it was dealer-maintained, documented oil changes at appropriate intervals. Asking price is $33K

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can get it for 30k (or less) and a warranty I’d go for it.

33k seems a bit steep for a nearly decade old truck, regardless of Carfax and “maintenance records.”

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds high

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As stated, that price is really steep for a close to 10 year old truck. 2010 is pre DEF. They get crap mpg, have fuel dilution problems and excessive soot problems. Part of the maintenance procedure is cleaning the turbo. Not cheap if you don't do it yourself. Pia if you do yourself. Being in California, deleting the polution controls is not an option. I would stay from this truck.

BTW, 33000 dollars is close to the price of a new 1500.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2011 2500 Cummins with 287k on it back in August. It was maintained meticulously and bone stock. I immediately deleted it and i am now at 295k. I have had zero issues powertrain wise and leveled on 35s with wonter fuel and short trips i am averaging 15 mpg, 18 during the summer months. Also i have the 373 rear end. I would not consider that 2010 to be a high mileage truck at all, and that price is about right for the market up here in idaho

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

pmroz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback. Price can always be negotiated and market value for my area easily determined. I'm really interested in other's experience with the reliability of this model truck. For instance, we have two vehicles, a Subaru Forester and Toyota Landcruiser. Both are nearly same age and same mileage (about 165K miles.) The Subaru has multiple problems including a failing head gasket, which the cost to repair outweighs the value of the car. This head gasket is a guaranteed failure for this year/model. On the other hand, the Land Cruiser had an isolated problem with the sunroof. Otherwise no other major repair and every switch and accessory functions as new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Land Cruiser with > 100K miles because it's not unreasonable to assume it will go another 100K + without falling apart. So in those terms, I'm just wondering how the RAM will hold up?

Also Huntergreen's comment about avoiding pre-DEF is new to me. Is the pre-DEF something I should avoid?

Thanks again everyone for helping out.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
New to forum and to RAM. Considering buying a 2010 2500 Laramie diesel with 135K miles on it. I'm in southern CA so rust is not an issue. It's reasonably priced. I now my question hinges on who owned the truck and what they did with it. Assuming the truck has been maintained and not abused, what problems can I expect? What should I look out for? If buying a high mileage truck is a mistake I would like to avoid it. I appreciate everyone's experience and expertise. Thanks

I avoided most of those issues by buying a used fleet truck that was previously owned by a Car Rental company (most folks who rent a car usually don't rent a truck that doesn't have a hitch on it, and Enterprise is very decent at maintaining their vehicles.)

Now in your case, not too many places have a 2500 as a fleet truck that doesn't also beat the crap out of them, due to the nature of what they were bought for (construction, semi-heavy deliveries, big agriculture, etc.), so you're pretty much stuck with private sales if you want the truck to last. However, if you can, ask for all of the maintenance records on the truck, get a solid Carfax report, and make sure all the recalls were done on it (you can get a list of those at mopar.com by entering the VIN there).

The rest applies to any brand of truck really (especially HD diesel trucks), but if I were you...

135k miles is well beyond the reach of any service contract that isn't a ripoff, so you will also want to take the truck to a mechanic and pay said mechanic to look it over, nose to tail. Also make sure you set aside and/or save up $3k-$5k in your savings account (before you buy the truck) and leave it alone, just in case you have to fix it (it'll give you just as much peace of mind.)

OP
OP
P

pmroz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Thanks again to everyone for the helpful info.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Emissions will be the biggest concern on those early 6.7's

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If the truck has been well maintained then there's no reason it won't go 300k plus, miles. The transmission may need rebuilt at some point so I'd budget for that. There's an old saying out there....if mileage won't get it age will. The trucks nearly 10 years old, and is going to have some of the issues 10 year old vehicles have. Hoses start going bad belts wear out electrical wiring starts getting older electrical connections can get corroded Etc. You just never know on a vehicle in that age range.

Do what you want but for 5k more (or less) you could get a new 2500 series gas powered rig like mine and not have to worry about prior history because you'd be making it. Good lick

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The used market for diesels is ********!!! 33k for a 9 year old truck with over 100k miles. Yes I understand that the “Motor” is hands down the best reliable motor available, but everything else around that motor is the same as every other vehicle.

OP - Do the math on the APR for the lon for that truck. Then do the math for a 2017-2019. Of course apr varies by user but I can tell you right now, after all said and done with financing, you can get a New tradesman diesel for the same damn price. 6-8% on 33k or 1.9-3.0% on 44k. Keep us posted bud.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The used market for diesels is ********!!! 33k for a 9 year old truck with over 100k miles. Yes I understand that the “Motor” is hands down the best reliable motor available, but everything else around that motor is the same as every other vehicle.

OP - Do the math on the APR for the lon for that truck. Then do the math for a 2017-2019. Of course apr varies by user but I can tell you right now, after all said and done with financing, you can get a New tradesman diesel for the same damn price. 6-8% on 33k or 1.9-3.0% on 44k. Keep us posted bud.
They ask it and people pay it. Till that changes you won’t see a drop in used prices on diesels

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here’s one from my local dealer. It’s a mega cab. e12a63c259a6277d64dc938255180bce.jpg
8d22dd554d581e422249cc0dd643c305.jpg

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road