4th Gen Ram ARB air compressor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ultraguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am sharing this write up because I searched extensively about installing an air compressor on a 4th generation Ram and did not really find a great place to mount an air compressor on these trucks.

My truck -> 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins Mega Cab

I found suggestions for the following locations:

1. Truck bed
2. Frame rail either under driver or passenger side
3. Storage space behind the rear seats
4. Space between the gas tank and DEF tank on mega cabs

My preferred location was somewhere in the engine compartment, or close to it. I looked and looked and the only place an ARB CKMA12 air compressor would fit was on top of the fuse box. I found one thread somewhere where another person put it in that location. I did not want the vibration on top of the fuse box.

I found another thread where a guy with a 3rd generation Ram Cummins mounted the same compressor behind the driver side headlight. Took my headlight out and there is no room there. But I could see that there was a bunch of space in the driver's side fender, in front of where the horn is mounted to the frame there. I could fit the compressor into the headlight latch access hole in the fender liner and then against the frame rail and there was plenty of room. So I decided if I could get the fender off that I would mount it there. It was also super close to the battery so it made wiring easy.

Here are pics of the install.

Front grill and driver fender and fender liner removed
View media item 29163
Template plate mounted
View media item 29164
Air compressor bracket mounted
View media item 29165
Air compressor mounted to the bracket
View media item 29166
Pressure switch installed and tubing run
View media item 29167
Quick connect mounted. Had to remove the bracket and enlarge the hole and install the tubing when the bracket was not mounted.
View media item 29168
Air hose connected to the quick connect.
View media item 29169
Fender back on and air hose connected.
View media item 29170
Another view of the air hose connected.
View media item 29171
Truck is all back together.
View media item 29172
Overall it was not a difficult job. The hardest part was getting the fender and fender liner off. It was easier to put the fender liner and fender back on.

The air compressor will be controlled by a switch module, which I have not installed yet.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Perhaps it is Tapatalk. I cannot see the pics but the description sounds great. I like the theory of on board air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
U

ultraguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Perhaps it is Tapatalk. I cannot see the pics but the description sounds great. I like the theory of on board air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's Tapatalk. The images show fine in a browser on my computer or in a browser on my phone.

OP
OP
U

ultraguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What's the purpose of the male air chuck? Shouldn't it be a female if you wanna run an air hose?

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow nice work. That's a real cool place to put it. I put the same compressor under the driver rear passenger seat. I wired it with quick disconnects so I can take it out easily and hook it to alligator clips to use on another vehicle if necessary. I like your setup though. Any idea how you're going to change the filter? Just pull the liner I guess?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What's the purpose of the male air chuck? Shouldn't it be a female if you wanna run an air hose?
Yes, technically it works but the setup is backwards.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just did this install last week. I chose the same location, but I have the dual compressor. I didn’t drill into the frame, the frame is exactly 4” tall in that section so I just got a pair of 4” U clamps and clamped it to the frame. Clearance is TIGHT. I had to move the horns over, trim the heat shield off and trim one of the filter caps. Some (non-final) install pics. I also just ordered fittings to make a dual-tire air fill up setup, so I can sit back up two tires at a time. I would have done all 4, but with my front and rear tires being different pressures I just went with two at a time.

175CC0A5-C71B-4BD5-A744-85796106E915.jpeg 573A4DEF-B24B-483D-9557-BBE9148F0C17.jpeg 1E7F124E-EDE6-457A-B6DF-C968F9270170.jpeg