4WD ABS & Traction Contol Won’t Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyZ79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had to replace my battery on 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn and afterwards I have no ABS, Traction control or 4 wheel drive options. After a couple days I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a while and then reconnecting and still not working. Anyone have this happen after changing out a battery and know how to fix it?

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum, Jeremy! Sounds to me like it could be one of your wheel sensors went bad (speed sensor or ABS sensor). That's usually what will make the ABS and Traction Control lights come on but the Four Wheel Drive, not too sure. I'd start there, though.

Adam

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to replace my battery on 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn and afterwards I have no ABS, Traction control or 4 wheel drive options. After a couple days I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a while and then reconnecting and still not working. Anyone have this happen after changing out a battery and know how to fix it?
Disconnect negative cable behind the IBS, leave IBS on battery, leave disconnected for at least 4 hours, than reconnect. It will take numerous drive cycles for all the modules to re-learn and come back to talking to each other and working properly. When I did my battery, it took 4 drive cycles just to get cruise back. This is a report from STAR ref IBS and battery issues.

ASSUMING: that all your stuff was working before replacing battery. If you had problems prior, than this is just FYI. You still could have issues like related in post #2.

Attachments

• STAR-IBS issues.pdf
    880.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
J

JeremyZ79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried disconnecting the negative cable only for 4 hours and have about 4 hours of drive time with being 48 hours since reconnecting the cable and still no luck. Will check sensors next but crazy that would be it with this happening after a battery change.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
So odd!

I've replaced the battery twice on my 19' and had zero issues either time. I just simply replaced and started my truck...and bam... ignition with zero issues.

My original factory battery was getting weak and I could tell it was on its way out so I installed a new H8 AGM Interstate battery. It was good for about 7 to 8 months (2023) and then for some odd reason it drained out completely and left me stranded with a huge two bill (I knew I should have gotten CAA sooner...lol).

I then said F_IT and went with a highly recommended (on this forum) Odyssey H8 AGM battery.
Zero issues, and my truck starts better than it ever did before, even after the new Interstate battery was installed (not knocking them, but facts is facts!).

I also don't get the periodic dimming of my headlights now when my stereo is jacked up like I used to with my Interstate (alternator is putting out 14.4 consistently).

I hope you get it all worked out!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried disconnecting the negative cable only for 4 hours and have about 4 hours of drive time with being 48 hours since reconnecting the cable and still no luck. Will check sensors next but crazy that would be it with this happening after a battery change.
All I can say is u got some issue. Did u scan and see if any codes? Is it showing any codes? Yet gonna have to get scanned and work from there in my opinion. Now I am not mechanic and just pass on info I was told by lead mechanic at dealership. Wish u luck on this.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With as much electronic stuff they put into vehicles today, you could have touch or bumped something that shorted somewhere. Hard to tell. Let us know how the sensor(s) check out and go from there.

Adam

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So odd!

I've replaced the battery twice on my 19' and had zero issues either time. I just simply replaced and started my truck...and bam... ignition with zero issues.

My original factory battery was getting weak and I could tell it was on its way out so I installed a new H8 AGM Interstate battery. It was good for about 7 to 8 months (2023) and then for some odd reason it drained out completely and left me stranded with a huge two bill (I knew I should have gotten CAA sooner...lol).

I then said F_IT and went with a highly recommended (on this forum) Odyssey H8 AGM battery.
Zero issues, and my truck starts better than it ever did before, even after the new Interstate battery was installed (not knocking them, but facts is facts!).

I also don't get the periodic dimming of my headlights now when my stereo is jacked up like I used to with my Interstate (alternator is putting out 14.4 consistently).

I hope you get it all worked out!
I got a Duralast AGM put in H7. But my system consistently shows 14.7 to .9. Just not run enuf to get to total SOC state so I am prob gonna put in a NOCO maintainer.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Did the store do a battery top charge or just hand it over? You could have gotten a dud battery off the shelf. I've seen it, it'll start the vehicle and stuff but voltages are wonky and things just won't work. Best case is get it tested and maybe replaced with a good one.
Second step:
As posted above scan the abs module and see if there's any pending codes.
If it throws a code check the connections and see if they're good, sometimes rocks snow and stuff can break the wires.

Last edited: