4wd Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I recently purchased a 2017 RAM 1500 4x4. I believe it has the Bw44-45 transfer case because it does not have 4x4 Auto - only 4x4 lock and low. I'm not sure of the "dos" and donts of these settings other than that 4x4 low is for < 25mph speeds in very low traction conditions and/or when max torque is needed. I Really have no clue what "4x4 lock" is for. Mostly, I'm interested in learning what NOT to do so I don't damage the transmission. I am aware that it's never a good idea to just aimlessly use 4x4 when it's not needed e.g. cruise around dry roads with it on. But I still don't know what conditions I'd use 4x4 lock for. Can it be used for dirt roads or driving in wet/snow conditions at speeds up to 45-50mph?

Lastly, is it safe to turn in these modes? I've heard that differential health can be tricky in 4x4.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes you have the BW44-45 part time transfer case. What you want to avoid is hard turns on surfaces that don't allow the wheels to slip. If you can goose the throttle in 2WD and the rear wheels easily break free easily then it fine to use 4X4 Lock. You don't need 4X4 if the roads are just wet, if there is snow/ice that a different story. You can shift into 4X4 up to 55 mph but if your capable of driving those speeds on the road is 4X4 actually needed?
Keep this in mind it's called four wheel drive, not four wheel stop. You use 4WD when the traction is when the surface your traveling on is inhibiting your movement but your truck uses four wheel braking all the time. Just because 4WD gets you moving doesn't mean it will allow you to stop any faster.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sure manual says you can 4x4 for driving on the road when slippery conditions are expected.

Basically fulltime, but i can tell you it isnt happy when turning sharp turns.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep mine in 2WD for daily road use, and push the 4WD(Lock) button (which is just four wheel drive in the high gear ratio position) only if I'm pulling off onto a trail. I'll push the 4WD(Low) button (four wheel drive in the lower gear ratio position) for when climbing/descending hills or when needed for off-road traction for trails, since it stays in the lower gears in that mode. I bought it the day before a big snow event around where I live, so I got to give it a snow test right away. 4WD(Lock) kept it nice and steady at low speeds on normal roads, getting to/from work, ect..

Basically these are the rules of thumb for me:

• Only use 4WD(Low) for extreme off-road conditions.
  • Use 4WD(Lock) for low speed trails/mud/snow/ice conditions.
  • Daily drive it in 2WD (dry & rain).

I mean, you could keep it in 4WD(lock) all the time, but you'd tear up your transfer case in the turns as it grabs the dry road trying to keep up.

Hope that helps!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I keep mine in 2WD for daily road use, and push the 4WD(Lock) button (which is just four wheel drive in the high gear ratio position) only if I'm pulling off onto a trail. I'll push the 4WD(Low) button (four wheel drive in the lower gear ratio position) for when climbing/descending hills or when needed for off-road traction for trails, since it stays in the lower gears in that mode. I bought it the day before a big snow event around where I live, so I got to give it a snow test right away. 4WD(Lock) kept it nice and steady at low speeds on normal roads, getting to/from work, ect..

Basically these are the rules of thumb for me:

• Only use 4WD(Low) for extreme off-road conditions.
  • Use 4WD(Lock) for low speed trails/mud/snow/ice conditions.
  • Daily drive it in 2WD (dry & rain).

I mean, you could keep it in 4WD(lock) all the time, but you'd tear up your transfer case in the turns as it grabs the dry road trying to keep up.

Hope that helps!
Same for me, with the same MY and diffs as the OP.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are not going to hurt anything running it in 4 lock (4 high) on dry roads or at higher speeds. With that said, I would not recommend doing that simply because there is no reason to and there is some additional stress and wear on the parts. If you wanted to use it in heavy rain that would be fine though I don't bother. I will run it in 4 lock/high if the roads are snowy or icy, even if they are spotty. I've ran many miles down the freeway at up to 65-70 mph in 4 high on several previous trucks...the freeway would be clear for miles and then suddenly you would hit a section that was snow covered. Wasn't about to stop every time and shift into and out of 4wd. You can shift into and out of 4 lock/high at speed, just make sure you are not under load or have the tires spinning. Typically what I do is let off the gas and shift the transfer case, then once it is shifted get back on the gas.

4 low is if you need the extra torque/power or slow speed control. Slow off-road trails, going through mud or deep snow (can help take the strain off the transmission), or maybe even backing and maneuvering a trailer around.

About the only thing you will notice when running on dry roads in 4 lock or 4 high is doing sharp corners at slow speed, like in a parking lot or a really sharp turn in town. The truck will tend to want to buck or skip around and maybe hear some tire chirping.