4x4 Low Descending Down Hill Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ugh, yeah. That would be perfect of course. Found a really good deal on this 1500 with 7,000 miles as a former Enterprise truck for about $15k less than MSRP, and much cheaper than a new Tundra (which has good downhill engine braking).
We drive 126 miles round trip, so wasn’t looking for gas bill to go up.

This hill must be more cliff then hill,if you're in 4X4 "low" and 1st gear,lol

OP
OP
Jesse K Potter

Jesse K Potter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This hill must be more cliff then hill,if you're in 4X4 "low" and 1st gear,lol

Yeah, basically a narrow road along a cliff that drops about a 1,000 feet. Look up Waipi’o Valley. Used to be gravel too

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The old 4x4's with manual transmissions would hold you back far better than any automatic. All you can do is tap the brakes once in a while. My 2005 jeep automatic doesn't hold steep hills like my old 70's jeep with manual trans. The automatics are far superior to climbing hills so its a trade off.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had trouble with the truck shifting above the ERS selection unless accelerating; I wonder if this is a 6 vs. 8 speed difference. Mine has the 6 speed and 44-45 transfer case, it'll hold 1st and supply consistent engine braking down steep declines. I haven't had an opportunity to go put this to use since I left Arizona so it's possible I'm just mis-remembering but that's something I feel I would have noticed.

OP
OP
Jesse K Potter

Jesse K Potter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn’t realize you were going that slow. Apologies. With the 8 speed if you select the gear down to first or second it won’t engage mds. The pulsar doesn’t truly disable mds either. I’m not sure what gears the trans locks the tc either because you’ll push through the tc downhill if it doesn’t lock and lose engine braking power as well

Yeah, been trying to confirm if the Pulsar would make a difference with the MDS “disabled” before dropping the $500. Considering getting it and selling it if no big difference.

Figure the tc locks in 4low when limited to 1st gear

OP
OP
Jesse K Potter

Jesse K Potter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The old 4x4's with manual transmissions would hold you back far better than any automatic. All you can do is tap the brakes once in a while. My 2005 jeep automatic doesn't hold steep hills like my old 70's jeep with manual trans. The automatics are far superior to climbing hills so its a trade off.

For sure. This truck is a trade off for mpg, cabsize and bedsize compared to Tundra options, and towing. Other than this issue, truck is great. The downhill issue is not scary, but maybe if I had a heavy load it would be.

OP
OP
Jesse K Potter

Jesse K Potter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody think 34” or 35” tires would add a little bit of resistance? Planning on upgrading soon anyway.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Will try that. Figure it wouldn't work while in 4x4 Low. Anyone know if Tow Haul works in 4x4 Low?
I have a steep decline ( 2kms length) everyday. Idont use the 4x4low . I just keep it in 2wd approach the hill at a low speed and press tow/haul button. The engine holds it back very well. I may have to tap the brake a couple of times but thats about it. Saves my brakes from overheating.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Could it be that the torque converter is not staying locked at such a slow speed? I remember back in my 2nd Gen days, there was a switch you could install to keep the converter locked at will.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The off road packages come with a hill descent control button that limits you to 8mph. To upgrade to it wouldn't it just be a flash or alpha and a new switch. Edit sorry didn't read page 2

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's a lot more dependant on trans gear ratio, diff gear ratio and transfer case reduction ratio you have in your TJ ? with respect of what you have in your oldest Jeep. Also Auto transmissions and electronics as a whole have come such a long way the only reason to have the manual is to really enjoy having to deal with the 3 pedals and the shifter. Personally i think that kind of driving experience with a manual trans will never be too old. I love the drive a manual even though i don't have a vehicle equipped with a manual trans as of this moment. Last one was before the RAM.

I think TJ's came with a 42RLE trans ? Their 1st gear ratio is 2.81:1, which is a little less than what we have in the 65RFE in the 6 speed RAM (3.00:1) but compared that to the ZF8 1st gear ratio (4.69:1) and the difference can be astonishing mated that with the normal 2:73:1 transfer and 3.92 gears. Too bad we don't have descent control in the RAM 1500's. I wonder if we have the provision in there somewhere being the technology is used in most of the Jeep lineup and i think RAM 2500's also have it.