4x4 Low problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smith1845a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I've got a 2013 Ram 5.7L with 62,000 miles. I have had an issue with 4x4 low twice with the same issue and I'm hesitant to switch to 4x4 low again to video it at the moment.

I can switch into 4x4 High and out of it no problem. I can switch into 4x4 low no problem. Both work fine. I have a very difficult time getting out of 4x4 low. When I try I do put everything in neutral as the manual says. When it says it is in 2wd I put it in drive and get a very loud grinding noise. I have to switch back to 4wd low and repeat the process about 4-5 times for it to actually disengage 4x4 low. Any suggestions? There is fluid in the transfer case.

Edit: 6 Speed Transmission

Last edited:

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
My only suggestion is dont do it again without a professional right there to diagnose the issue.

Is it coming from your transfer case or your front axle? I would think its coming from the transfer case since 4 high still works as it should.

What does the fluid look like? Is the proper amount in the transfer case? Has it ever been changed?

EDIT: Out of old habit I always shift into reverse and let the truck roll a bit before going into Drive... My jeep would hold 4wd until the 'load' was taken off of it by rolling in reverse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smith1845a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My only suggestion is don't do it again without a professional right there to diagnose the issue.

Is it coming from your transfer case or your front axle? I would think its coming from the transfer case since 4 high still works as it should.

What does the fluid look like? Is the proper amount in the transfer case? Has it ever been changed?

I'm definitely hesitant to make it happen again. I won't need 4WD low until next winter. So I'm in no hurry. Just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before. I changed the fluid after I heard it the first time, and the fluid was decent that time, correct level

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I'm definitely hesitant to make it happen again. I won't need 4WD low until next winter. So I'm in no hurry. Just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before. I changed the fluid after I heard it the first time, and the fluid was decent that time, correct level

Yeah, it just sucks because even though you are in 2wd there are metal particles and flakes from the grinding action. All that is still in your transfer case, somewhere. If you wait until next winter you may ruin your entire transfer case instead of just a couple of components.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To the OP; Is the truck rolling when you make the shift into and out of 4lo?

Which T-case/shifter do you have (44 or 45)?

Also, what exactly do you mean by “everything in neutral” ? Just the trans, or are you also putting the T-case in neutral?

worth a watch:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Generally it is always best to do 4x4 low switches (in and out) with the transmission in neutral while slowing rolling, say under 5 MPH. The slower the better but not comply stopped.

This will make gear changes smother. M

4x4 high switches are also best done very slowly rolling.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]