4x4 ops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a cause to use 4 Lo last weekend, on an uphill dirt path towing a heavy load. Every time I started to move, the rear tires would spin a bit (a full revolution perhaps? Cant' see them from the drivers seat) before the front axle would start to move, leaving a hole the truck needed to crawl out of. I understand that there will be some slack in the drive train, but when I stopped for a moment and started to move again, without rolling anywhere or taking it out of gear - same thing. I would expect that the slack had been taken out of things after that first spin, and that the drivetrain is all under forward compression at that point. In the past, with older trucks, I have always had a manual transfer case, so I find this unusual.
Is this normal behavior for this drivetrain?
How does this truck share power between front and rear axles?

Thanks!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know if it's a Borg Warner or a New Venture xfer case? (what's your truck's trim level?)

OP
OP
J

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a Laramie, 'Canada market specifications' whatever that means. (I know it means there's no backup camera, even though US Laramies have them :( )
Not sure which transfer case, how can I tell?

OP
OP
J

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I was towing, up a relatively steep soft dirt road. My tires are not awesome at the moment but she performed admirably other than the curious behavior of the 4wd system.
.PXL_20220911_162247106.jpg

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but I was in low range.
That unfortunately does not matter. The 4auto tcase auto function is always engaged so if you’re in 4 lock or 4 low it won’t engage until slip every time you start from a stop. There’s a bypass kit for it but I’m not sure on the functionality of it or you’d have to swap to a true part time transfer case

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That unfortunately does not matter. The 4auto tcase auto function is always engaged so if you’re in 4 lock or 4 low it won’t engage until slip every time you start from a stop. There’s a bypass kit for it but I’m not sure on the functionality of it or you’d have to swap to a true part time transfer case
Interesting on bypass kit
Didnt know this, Does this work on trucks in the US

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting on bypass kit
Didnt know this, Does this work on trucks in the US
The trucks are the same driveline no matter if they're spec'd for Canada or the US,the only differances are the speedo's and daytime running light.Brandon makes the bypass kit,to lock the 44-44 T-case,but last time i was talking to him,he was having issues with work getting in the way,and getting the parts and pieces to build his T-case kit and his paddle shifter kits for the 8 speeds,but that was a month or so ago,so he might have them back in stock now.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The following is out of the 2012 manual per the 4WD Auto mode:

This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two-wheel drive position (2WD) or four-wheel drive position (4Auto) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads. Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle is not engaged in 2WD

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD Auto mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged but the vehicle's power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.

When additional traction is required, the transfer case 4WD Lock and 4WD Low positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed..........

The manual doesn't specifically say one way or the other that some wheel-spin will be required to engage the front axle in low or lock modes. But the language implies the wheels will be locked. That's for a 2012. Hmmmm. Well that would really suck if that were the case where wheelspin was required to engage the front wheels in the low/locked modes. Even in 4WD Auto, if a guy gets into gnarly and/or deep snow, if you lose momentum waiting for the 4wd to kick in, that can be enough to make ya permanently stuck ...vs a true 'locked' system.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The following is out of the 2012 manual per the 4WD Auto mode:

This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two-wheel drive position (2WD) or four-wheel drive position (4Auto) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads. Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle is not engaged in 2WD

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD Auto mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged but the vehicle's power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.

When additional traction is required, the transfer case 4WD Lock and 4WD Low positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed..........

The manual doesn't specifically say one way or the other that some wheel-spin will be required to engage the front axle in low or lock modes. But the language implies the wheels will be locked. That's for a 2012. Hmmmm. Well that would really suck if that were the case where wheelspin was required to engage the front wheels in the low/locked modes. Even in 4WD Auto, if a guy gets into gnarly and/or deep snow, if you lose momentum waiting for the 4wd to kick in, that can be enough to make ya permanently stuck ...vs a true 'locked' system.
The axle locks but the tcase is not. It has a clutch inside that reacts to wheel spin. The front wheels may be locked but will not be receiving power. Lots of people regret the auto tcase as it is not a true part time 4wd.