4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So they are saying front diff is toast and “engaging 4x4 is what pushed the CV apart”apparently. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth here.
Hmm, really don't agree with that. I have no clue how engaging 4wd would cause that type of issue, or how a bad diff could do that???
While there is no reason to remove the CV shaft when doing the wheel hub, there is a reasonable chance it got pulled out from the diff when they did the work. The other end of the CV splines into the wheel hub. If the splines were slightly stuck inside the hub, which is not uncommon, and they just yanked the hub off it could pull the CV shaft out/off of the diff and disengaged the snap ring. Then if they didn't "pop" the shaft back to re-engage the snap ring something like this could happen.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of course they are saying it's toast. What specific reasons did they give? Surely they gave you a written explanation of the problems? What their findings were. Pics?

That's what I told you they'd say. Well, you can either take it to a driveline shop for a more professional opinion (that stub shaft is $55) ...see what they say. Maybe there isn't really anything wrong with it and the shaft will snap back on ..after a cleaning. Or put a used one in.

Used probably makes the most sense when you calculate labor to do any driveline work. There should be a lot of decent used ones out there. They're not really damage/fail-prone. The lower kM's the better.

The only thing at this point I would be concerned about is what does the inside splines of the CV look like? They could be like new. ...but someone should test it to make sure it wasn't a poor machine-job on the inside of that CV that kept it from latching in properly in the first place ....if that's what the problem was. More than likely it wasn't installed properly in the first place. Probably didn't get pushed in all the way, or they didn't use a new circlip. You'll never know for sure. Just get it taken care of and move forward :happy160:

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So they are saying front diff is toast and “engaging 4x4 is what pushed the CV apart”apparently. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth here.

Holy **** get a new mechanic, Thats not how the front diff works FFS. They feed you some horsh!T right there.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So It’s done, and I have another question, is the CV still not tight? They put a new one on along with the diff.There is a gap compared to the other side? Also the boot appears tight and twisted? Sorry for so many posts but I don’t have anyone to ask. My family member is an employee at the dealer in question and it’s tricky to rock the boat to much..

Attachments

• IMG_9078.jpeg
    IMG_9078.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9076.jpeg
    IMG_9076.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9080.jpeg
    IMG_9080.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 7