5.7 392 Stroker Build HP Gain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, new here.

just took delivery of a Classic RAM 1500 DS 4x4 Crewcab 5.7 here in Australia.
i wanted to supercharge it however i'm having implications with insuring it with a blower.....soooO....i am exploring other options.

A local tune company does a lot with modern hemis and said id get about a 30% gain with their cam package, i was hoping for more like a 50% gain, so it got me thinking about doing a stroker build as well....but they dont have any data on a stroker without a blower.....

So the 3 questions i have are:
Has anyone built similar to the following build? and what was your HP % gain from stock.

- 3in Catback exhuast
- Long tube headers (incl cats)
- High performance cam
- 392 stroker

Or

Has anyone done just a stroker kit and exhuast, and what was the % or HP gain from stock?

Or

What is the max hp gain you can get out of a streetable daily driveable NA build

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys, new here.

just took delivery of a Classic RAM 1500 DS 4x4 Crewcab 5.7 here in Australia.
i wanted to supercharge it however i'm having implications with insuring it with a blower.....soooO....i am exploring other options.

A local tune company does a lot with modern hemis and said id get about a 30% gain with their cam package, i was hoping for more like a 50% gain, so it got me thinking about doing a stroker build as well....but they dont have any data on a stroker without a blower.....

So the 3 questions i have are:
Has anyone built similar to the following build? and what was your HP % gain from stock.

- 3in Catback exhuast
- Long tube headers (incl cats)
- High performance cam
- 392 stroker

Or

Has anyone done just a stroker kit and exhuast, and what was the % or HP gain from stock?

Or

What is the max hp gain you can get out of a streetable daily driveable NA build
Why not do a 6.4 SRT swap,485 hp and 470 lb-ft,with a 3 year warrenty,then sell your 5.7

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would get a significant torque gain, the HP and torque numbers have a lot of variables depending on how you build it.
Just depends where you want your power, some like power from 1500-4000 rpms, some like top end, some compromise on bottom and top and get good in both areas.
Just drag racing?
Just towing?
Little bit of both?

30% with just a cam and tune seems like quite a bit - from 400 hp to 520 or so.

I personally think the 6.4 should have always been an option in the 1500 line.

This article will give you a rough idea.
or

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not do a 6.4 SRT swap,485 hp and 470 lb-ft,with a 3 year warrenty,then sell your 5.7
Sounds crazy but in Australia, doing engine swaps requires certification and all sorts of legalities however a cam and stroker retains the same engine number and the mods are hidden so it all goes unnoticed

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would get a significant torque gain, the HP and torque numbers have a lot of variables depending on how you build it.
Just depends where you want your power, some like power from 1500-4000 rpms, some like top end, some compromise on bottom and top and get good in both areas.
Just drag racing?
Just towing?
Little bit of both?

or
i would like the mid range bit i really want the power everywhere :D ....not for towing, more for fun...do a fair amount of soft beach sand driving which the low torque will definitely come in handy....but the goal is a low 13sec truck on 35s ...not sure if thats achievable or not

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just drag racing?
Just towing?
Little bit of both?

or
just read the first article, they built this with boost in mind, as far as im aware, if you dont plan to boost, you can increase the compression and get a bit better numbers, either way, realistically, you're probably only getting a 30% gain with the stroker and cam based on that article...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds crazy but in Australia, doing engine swaps requires certification and all sorts of legalities however a cam and stroker retains the same engine number and the mods are hidden so it all goes unnoticed
You have to re-use your 5.7 intake / timing cover / front accessories / oil pan etc. so how would anybody know you'd done a long block swap

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True, it would have to be a serial # check at an annual inspection station if that is a reality in Aussie.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, that was only a 370 stroker not a 392
True, I thought maybe the articles would just give you an idea on gains.
I think both were 370's, not sure why they went with that vs. 392 - unless they liked the shorter stroke or the longer stroke setup wasn't available then?????

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gears do you have? With the right gears, I think it is definitely possible.

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True, it would have to be a serial # check at an annual inspection station if that is a reality in Aussie.
You have to go back to the RMS and register the engine swap so it would flag up in my insurer who could have a pansy about it. the reason i'm avoiding supercharging is insurance is soo high if i tell my insurer, and if i dont, then i'm technically not insured....however changing internal components would be a lot harder for them to find out...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i guess the engine number would be the tell tale......
They don't have a block casting number that's easily seen once the engine is in the truck.I also don't think they stamp the engines with the trucks serial number anymore.

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just got a quote from the only hemi engine builder in Aus to do a cam and stroker kit......FARRRRRRRRKKKK.....30k AUD.....thats nuts....i reckon theres a tonne of "cantbeassedmoney" in there...

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They don't have a block casting number that's easily seen once the engine is in the truck.I also don't think they stamp the engines with the trucks serial number anymore.
i just put the truck on finance and they asked for the engine number....if theres some way to build it with retaining the original engine id be interested

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i just put the truck on finance and they asked for the engine number....if theres some way to build it with retaining the original engine id be interested
I'm guessing the engine number is 5.7,not an actual block casting number.So you tell them 5.7,then drop a 6.4 into it,same as you'd do if you stroked your 5.7 to 6.4.I'd lay odds you're over thinking this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357