5.7 Hemi Discontinued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My point about the ecoboost past 100k isn't being afraid of new technology but being familiar with it. Everytime an improvement like that comes out you hear how great it is and how fast and more hp/ torque but what you find is problems do arise and it happens typically after the warranty expires. So when THEY fix it they do it at your expense. So I'll enjoy my hemi for now and let THEM work the bugs out.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My point about the ecoboost past 100k isn't being afraid of new technology but being familiar with it. Everytime an improvement like that comes out you hear how great it is and how fast and more hp/ torque but what you find is problems do arise and it happens typically after the warranty expires. So when THEY fix it they do it at your expense. So I'll enjoy my hemi for now and let THEM work the bugs out.

Completely agree, that’s why I will never buy a first model year vehicle. Too many problems. Too many moving parts with the eco boost to really know the shortfalls. Wait and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on the more HP with smaller engines...Case in point...A guy I used to race against just claimed the WORLD RECORD for HP from a 4-stroke snowmobile engine...1077cc Turbo...2 cylinder SUZUKI motor pulled 721 hp @ the DynoTech Research dyno in N.Y. recently...:happy107:

Sounds like a great way to go out :suicide:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A few things:

1) I have an Audi A4 Turbo, it is awesome, reliable and with a $500 chip I was able to get 50 extra HP ($/HP is hard to beat with an Naturally Aspirated engine).

2) Direct Injected engines, they do have carbon build up, that every 20k-30k miles should be addressed (not with additives, but with head removal or walnut cleaning.

I'm a big fan of turbo engines, and if you are chasing exhaust sounds, turbo engines can run straight pipes with increased performance (there is no need for back pressure). More HP with less engine size and weight and better fuel economy? Yes please. But it would be nice if they continue to sell the Hemi as an option (whenever that day comes).

I read a year more back that the carbon build up is due to our low quality fuel. That might be corrected. No idea how true the article is though.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read a year more back that the carbon build up is due to our low quality fuel. That might be corrected. No idea how true the article is though.

It’s not. It’s very common with direct injected systems. It may increase with low quality fuel, but it will eventually happen, and the best way to fix it is to pull the head.

I have 100k on my 2008 A4, I had an oil consumption issue, I think the dealer didn’t properly torque the head back on (or reused the bolts), so I had to have the head gasket changed. While it was out, I had the head tested and valves replaced. There was significant carbon buildup (I never cleaned it before).

With direct injected engines, the days of 200k-300k miles on the original engine without opening her up are gone. I still will take better more fuel efficient tech over sticking with old.

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What if they throw the 6.4 in the 1500s? That would be sweet.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bottom line is when they're gone they're gone and if you want a new truck you'll have to buy what is being offered.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember when fuel injection became available Just about everyone I knew swore they wouldn't own one and there would be nothing but problems. In all those years since, I have never had an issue with fuel injection other than an electric fuel pump. Carbs were a giant pain in the **** - good riddance.

Turbos are pretty reliable, I'd have no problem with owning a V-8 equivalent 4 or 6. Lighter and better mpg, sounds good. I definitely would miss the sweet V-8 sound though.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turbos are pretty reliable, I'd have no problem with owning a V-8 equivalent 4 or 6. Lighter and better mpg, sounds good. I definitely would miss the sweet V-8 sound though.

Just like with anything there are manufacturing defects, but a factory installed (properly designed for the engine) turbos are bulletproof. Those who hear horror stories from turbos typically are from vehicles where people add turbos or upgrade to bigger/faster (spooling) than factory turbos.

If you let the engine oil warm up before boosting, and let the turbo cool off before shutting off the engine (stay out of boost for the last 5-10 minutes of driving) they simply last...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just like with anything there are manufacturing defects, but a factory installed (properly designed for the engine) turbos are bulletproof. Those who hear horror stories from turbos typically are from vehicles where people add turbos or upgrade to bigger/faster (spooling) than factory turbos.

If you let the engine oil warm up before boosting, and let the turbo cool off before shutting off the engine (stay out of boost for the last 5-10 minutes of driving) they simply last...

That reminds me of a question Ive had - do factory setups (like the Ecoboost) have turbo timers from the factory?

I find it hard to believe they would expect an average Joe owner to make sure to stay out of boost for 5-10 minutes before turning off their engine.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That reminds me of a question Ive had - do factory setups (like the Ecoboost) have turbo timers from the factory?

I find it hard to believe they would expect an average Joe owner to make sure to stay out of boost for 5-10 minutes before turning off their engine.

They don’t have turbo timers on them. The turbos on the eco boost are pretty small turbos as far as turbos go and cool down much quicker than a turbo on bigger engine like the Cummins or semi trucks. Unless yup are driving the crap out of it the slow drive down your street and into your driveway is probably enough to cool the eco boost turbos down.

Years back I hade a VW TDI diesel and the concenus from their forums were that unless you drove it hard right before shutting down, or had just come off the highway at a rest stop then it would be fine to shut down when you stopped.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The 3.5 Ecoboost in the F150 uses Borg Warner K03 turbo's that are water cooled. They are not susceptible to oil coking like the older style oil cooled turbo's that require a timer or light driving before shutting off.

All new production turbo engines use water cooled turbo's for that very reason.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You would be surprised how much pedal it takes to get into boost on my A4. So, unless you were flooring it then stopping and shutting off the engine immediately after, it will cool off by the time the average person gets off the highway to their house.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 3.5 Ecoboost in the F150 uses Borg Warner K03 turbo's that are water cooled. They are not susceptible to oil coking like the older style oil cooled turbo's that require a timer or light driving before shutting off.

All new production turbo engines use water cooled turbo's for that very reason.

Remember, coolant doesn't circulate unless the engine is running. So, Oil or Water cooled, doesn't really matter, you want the turbo to cool off before shutting off the engine...

But, it is true, 99% of the time you dont have to worry about this. It's only heavy footed people who go from hard driving to parking that are the issue.

The same would apply to the engine, you wouldn't what to drive it hard and then just shut if off.

EDIT: Key is, don't buy a used Turbo from Ace Ventura with his "like a glove" parking.

[yt]3nOxdKcqC_I[/yt]

Last edited:

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just hate the added electronics of modern day turbo engines. They are very far from backyard mechanic modifiable, in my opinion

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just hate the added electronics of modern day turbo engines. They are very far from backyard mechanic modifiable, in my opinion

I’m not a fan either. My waste gate on my Santa Fe turbo failed me twice leaving me with no boost and only being able to drive 50KPH. Makes for a drive home from work fun! Needless to say I’ll probably never own a turbo or Hyundai for that matter.