5.7 HEMI Oil Filter Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I have my truck in for service at the dealer for the second time for an oil leak. It has a drip from the oil filter area, and leaks enough that after driving a few miles it leaves a spot the size of a baseball. The first time the dealer said the filter was leaking, and it was due for a change anyway so they just changed the oil and filter and put in the Pennzoil Platinum. The filter they took off was a Royal Purple filter. This time they say the filter was just loose. 1700 miles since the "leaking" RP filter was changed. The loose filter is a MOPAR filter the dealer put on. They say they cleaned the filter area thoroughly and tested it and now no leaks. Seems odd to have the same problem with 2 different filters. Truck now has 28k miles on it.

When I had the first leak, I could tell it was coming from the filter area. I checked that filter myself just to make sure it was tight, and it was.

Obviously now I have to keep an eye on this and closely check where I park to see if I get any more oil dripping.

Anyone else having trouble with the filter leaking?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed when I did my 2nd oil change last month (@ about 12,000) that my Mopar oil filter was leaking. Not enough to leave drops on the driveway, but there was no doubt that it was leaking. When i put the new oil filter on, against what we all know, I used a filter wrench to tighten it on. The last time I looked (last week), it was dry.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
It's in such a horrible place that it's nearly impossible to get it off without leaking everywhere all over the rack and cross member, and it's tough to tighten too. What you're seeing leak COULD be residual oil from a previous change. But you may also have an issue that needs addressing.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check filter nipple on truck for rolled threads. Known issue.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check filter nipple on truck for rolled threads. Known issue.

Did my first OF change yesterday,,,

The factory installed oil filter on my 09 5.7 was on 800 POUND GORILLA tight,,, Frickin tough to get off,,,

The 14,,, eh,,, surprisingly easy,,, not as tight as I would have expected,,,

When removing the filter, I could tell by the way the filter spun that something was up with the threads,,, there was an area with a slight 'hang' to it,,, Very subtle, but not the true 'free spin',,

When installing,,, same thing,,, but the slight hang fully disappeared about 1 turn from tight,,,

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As it wasn't ~leaking~ there's really nothing to show a Dealer,,, Not gonna play the '3 trips to the Dealer and 14 hrs of waiting' game when it does start to leak,,,

Part name and number: Engine-Oil Filter Connector 4892338AC

Just under 8 bucks shipped on Flea Bay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dsw1519

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Well the story continues. The truck is back at the dealer today for the third time with an oil leak coming from the filter. This dealer has been doing the oil changes, so they can't say a third party put it on incorrectly. I noticed it was dripping slightly about a week ago, and the drip has gradually gotten worse. When filter is changed it doesn't leak for a while, than after about 3 months and 3K miles it starts to drip. Truck is not quite 3 years old with 38k miles. I have the Chrysler extended warranty so no worries there. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. I did suggest that they contact Chrysler directly about the issue. I will post with a follow up once I know more.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it actually the filter like where it seals around the base?

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There have been other post about this. And it was not the filter leaking. It was leaking above the filter.I Have always tighten my filter with the filter wrench, for 35 years and no leaks.

OP
OP
dsw1519

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Is it actually the filter like where it seals around the base?

It sure appears that way. After the filter is replaced the area is dry for a while. I'm going to take slowroller's advice and tell the dealer to replace the filter connector.

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter on these trucks could not be in a worse place.

Laying on your back in the cold with no oil filter wrench = PITA

OP
OP
dsw1519

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
Have you tried putting hands on it to see if it is loose?

Not this time. Too damn cold out to climb under there. The last 2 times I did and by hand it sure felt tight.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck also was leaking but it seemed only after the truck was off...perhaps only as it drained?

Never got low enough to add oil (according to dip stick) but small puddles would be around the truck every so often.

Next oil change and the dealer admitted it was loose.

Will see if it continues...has not for about 2 weeks so far.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried putting hands on it to see if it is loose?

Mine was leaking at the filter and I got under there and it was hand loose. They don't always put the top guys on oil changes. I think they get in a hurry too and forget to snug them up. May be the thread thing too. I know on the old 5.9's sometimes the damn filter gasket would come off and stick to the block and then they would get in a hurry and run the new filter right up against it, guaranteed to leak.

Finding that leak is easier than fighting with them later about a seized motor. Good luck.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The filter on these trucks could not be in a worse place.

Laying on your back in the cold with no oil filter wrench = PITA

Actual it could be. I changed mine today and thought it was in a much better place than my previous vehicle 08 Jeep Liberty - with all skids.

OP
OP
dsw1519

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I picked up the truck today. Dealer says yes the filter was tight but leaking at the seal. They replaced it with the "standard" filter that is supposed to fit 2013 and older Hemi engines. After testing and running for a while the new filter was showing signs of weeping/leaking. Dealer says they spoke to Chrysler and were told to use the new design filter that is supposed to fit the 2014 and up hemi engines (part no. 488489AC). The "AC" portion of the part number is all that appears to be different. I'm skeptical that this is the end of the problem, but who knows. See the picture of the receipt with the dealer's comments.

filter_zps2mxfe0te.jpg

Last edited:

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, hard for me to believe the filters were somehow defective. Is there an oil cooler on your truck?

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Would check out the gasket sealing surface for roughness or scratches & flatness.
Maybe the surface was not machined totally flat.