5.7 vs 6.4 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jleas524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OKay, I have a question about the Hemi cam/lifter tick in the 5.7's.
It seems like the common fix is tearing down, replacing the cam and lifters and oil pump. Also disabling the MDS and having a custom tune. Most seem to add the 6.4 intake and injectors too.

Why not just swap the 5.7 out for the 6.4?

Has anyone here done that yet?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OKay, I have a question about the Hemi cam/lifter tick in the 5.7's.
It seems like the common fix is tearing down, replacing the cam and lifters and oil pump. Also disabling the MDS and having a custom tune. Most seem to add the 6.4 intake and injectors too.

Why not just swap the 5.7 out for the 6.4?

Has anyone here done that yet?
Brandon-W is running a SRT 6.4 in his 4X4 and likes it,he even claims to be getting better milege with it,compared to his old 5.7.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve got the SRT swap with MMX NSR cam. The MMX long block made it a very reasonable swap, especially if you’re capable of doing your own labor - if not, there’s several more thousand reasons.

My truck was an early 13 which was just before the 8 speed was available. Blew up 2 65RFEs before doing the 8 speed swap. Several more thousands of reasons. Hell, I just spent over $1K on an oil cooler setup, which is highly recommended with southern temps.

My stock 5.7 made it 165,000 miles and I thought I had lifter failure, along with worn rings as oil consumption was through the roof. My truck was perfect for me, we were trying to buy a house, and I had been “good” not spending money on this truck for 8 years so I opted for entire engine swap.

There were several points along the way I regretted my decision, and I have learned some expensive lessons, but I’d do it again. It’s awesome.

Also, I still have my stock engine and had to tear it down in my bed to be able to move it without my picker and no broken lifters or excessively worn cam. My UOA did show high metals, but I’m guessing rings were it. Seafoam instantly clearing some gunk didn’t help that either.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
so i'm told that the 5.7 is a cheaper platform for gaining power if you do the work yourself. that said it begs to mention that the new 6.4l have MDS and yes they have cam and lifter issues as well.
MDS is NOT a bad system if you maintain your vehicles well. regardless it is still a crap shoot of somehow dropping a lifter and eating a cam. just deleting the MDS dosen't necessarily eliminate the problem. However, deleting the system and adding a tune does seem to combat it pretty well.
It all comes down to money and maintnnce really. can you afford the HP that your after.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
As others said I'm running the 2019 Challanger 6.4l bge engine in my 2015 Ram 1500. I had the lifter issue and replaced the cam and deleted the MDS, 20k later it started pulling metal so @Wild one convinced me to do the swap, seeing as he got me a screaming deal on one from airidirie Chrysler I couldn't say no. Needless to say this is something that should have been offered from Factory! I'm running mud tires and get better fuel economy than I did with the 5.7. It's not a huge difference in economy but was noticeable. It was somewhere down by 10-12l/100 works out to 20-23mpg on the highway.

For anyone on the fence I 100% reccomend this swap.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
so i'm told that the 5.7 is a cheaper platform for gaining power if you do the work yourself. that said it begs to mention that the new 6.4l have MDS and yes they have cam and lifter issues as well.
MDS is NOT a bad system if you maintain your vehicles well. regardless it is still a crap shoot of somehow dropping a lifter and eating a cam. just deleting the MDS dosen't necessarily eliminate the problem. However, deleting the system and adding a tune does seem to combat it pretty well.
It all comes down to money and maintnnce really. can you afford the HP that your after.
If you get the SRT 6.4l you do not have MDS you also get a higher hp engine than the regular poweragon 6.4l

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The manual transmission 5.7's and 6.4's in the Challengers don't have MDS.They also have a slightly more aggressive camshaft then the MDS 5.7's and 6.4's have

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As others said I'm running the 2019 Challanger 6.4l bge engine in my 2015 Ram 1500. I had the lifter issue and replaced the cam and deleted the MDS, 20k later it started pulling metal so @Wild one convinced me to do the swap, seeing as he got me a screaming deal on one from airidirie Chrysler I couldn't say no. Needless to say this is something that should have been offered from Factory! I'm running mud tires and get better fuel economy than I did with the 5.7. It's not a huge difference in economy but was noticeable. It was somewhere down by 10-12l/100 works out to 20-23mpg on the highway.

For anyone on the fence I 100% reccomend this swap.
I'm gonna have to stop by and check with Darcy and see exactly how much the 6.4's have gone up since i got you that one.I'll have to wait till he's working a Sat though,as i have to get him alone to get the good deals,lol Sometimes it pays to keep your local parts manager butter'd up,lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm gonna have to stop by and check with Darcy and see exactly how much the 6.4's have gone up since i got you that one.I'll have to wait till he's working a Sat though,as i have to get him alone to get the good deals,lol Sometimes it pays to keep your local parts manager butter'd up,lol
Haha I'll Buy the butter let's go! I probly owe you a few hundred Tim Hortons over the passed couple years too. ;)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
I did the swap less than a year ago and couldn't be more pleased with the result.

I went with a factory fresh SRT8 unit and the whole package cost me less than $10K.
Not what I wanted to do but it was cheaper than a new truck or gambling on the condition of the bottom end of my old 5.7.

OP
OP
J

jleas524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still researching and learning. I don't have to do the swap now, but I am sure it will be coming in the next year or two.
After all is said and done, how do you go about getting a tune? I'm in South Carolina, and I can't find anyone who is able to do a tune on the Ram.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still researching and learning. I don't have to do the swap now, but I am sure it will be coming in the next year or two.
After all is said and done, how do you go about getting a tune? I'm in South Carolina, and I can't find anyone who is able to do a tune on the Ram.

Remote tuning through HP Tuners. My tuner is local but I haven’t seen him or talked to him on the phone, he’s hammered it all out via email remotely.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
The last thinig you want to do is use Diablows on a 6.4L swap...lol...
honestly i havent used HEMI Fever yet but i have talked to him. He seems like you could still use Diablo but just not in its packaged condition. he has you send the tuner to him and he does something to it that basically unlocks it; from what i understand. He also has them to buy that he has already unlocked.