545rfe acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2003 ram 1500 5.7 qc 4x4

So yesterday my truck was jerking a bit when it was downshifting into passing gear, I was going around 50-55 mph. The later it didn't shift above 3rd gear. I was running 55 mph and I was turning around 24-2500 rpm on 17 inch wheels and 3.92 gears. usually runs around 1500 rpm at that speed.

Truck came with a superchips tuner but I've never used it, and it's locked or something but says stock tuning currently. I'm at 255 000 miles (409,000 kms) is it just my trans wearing out? fluid looks nice red still and doesn't smell burnt.

I have another trans and transfer case that came with the truck but not sure if it's good or not lol. I figure the best bet is taking the truck to a trans shop and see what they say? I really don't think it's worth sinking a huge amount into this truck.. I'm also willing to swap another trans in it if I have too.. I'm fairly mechanical and think I could do it.

any opinions would be appreciated.