545RFE Kick down gear sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 06 5.7 hemi with a 545RFE tranny. It is very sluggish to kickdown when I depress the accelerator. When I depress enough to kick it in it kicks down too far, neck snapping. Anyone know where to start diagnosing? Is it vacuum operated?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an 06 5.7 hemi with a 545RFE tranny. It is very sluggish to kickdown when I depress the accelerator. When I depress enough to kick it in it kicks down too far, neck snapping. Anyone know where to start diagnosing? Is it vacuum operated?
The 545RFE is a fully electronic control transmission. There are no vacuum lines on this transmission.

If you are experiencing issues with downshifts, can you take a video and post it? The easy way is to shoot a video and upload it to YouTube and then post the link here.

How many miles have you put on the truck since you bought it?

Have you serviced the transmission?

What does the fluid look like and smell like?

Is the check engine light on? Either way hit up the local auto parts store to connect a scan tool so you can see if there are any
1-Trip Failures stored or even a stored DTC.

Now, with that being said, how about some background on the truck. Is this the stock, original 15 year old transmission?

How far are you having to press the accelerator pedal to get the transmission to downshift? If you are cruising the highway in 5th gear it can take quite a bit of pedal input to get it to downshift from 5th to 3rd or even 2nd Prime. The 5-4 downshift should occur pretty easily because it only takes a few degrees of TPS input to downshift. The 5-3 downshift requires quite a bit of pedal because the software in the PCM/TCM is designed to keep the trans in high gear or the highest gear available based on engine load and throttle input for fuel economy and emissions purposes.

The 5-2 downshift is really rough on the RFE transmissions and I don't recommend trying to get it to downshift that far to accelerate to pass someone. Here is what I do. I tap the Tow/Haul button while cruising. When I do it will downshift from 5th to 3rd and engage the converter clutch. In Tow/Haul Mode 5th gear is locked out and the trans will only upshift to 4th gear. If you press the button again it will say O/D Off and the trans will only upshift to 3rd gear and engage the converter clutch with 4th and 5th being locked out.

This is the way I always recommend to downshift to a lower gear while driving, especially once you are in 5th gear.

The only real way to diagnose a concern like this is with a scan tool connected and driving the truck which only shops or mechanics like me can do. There may not be anything wrong with your transmission though.

I Think some further diagnostics is required with a scan tool and a mechanic who knows what they are looking at in the scan tool to determine if there is really a problem or not.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for the fast reply. I’ll post a vid in the next few days. I’ve got 334,000 on the original drivetrain. Tranny has been serviced regularly. Fluid is pretty close to the color of new fluid. No engine check light and codes are clear. I run it in Tow mode because I have a bad MDS solenoid. I think I t’s the 3 - 2 downshift. It happens consistently at 30-35 going up a grade near my house, it bogs down and I have to put the pedal more than halfway down to get it to kick in. It used to kick in sooner and smoother. I have resorted to anticipating it and putting the shift selector to 2 before the engine starts bogging down.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the fast reply. I’ll post a vid in the next few days. I’ve got 334,000 on the original drivetrain. Tranny has been serviced regularly. Fluid is pretty close to the color of new fluid. No engine check light and codes are clear. I run it in Tow mode because I have a bad MDS solenoid. I think I t’s the 3 - 2 downshift. It happens consistently at 30-35 going up a grade near my house, it bogs down and I have to put the pedal more than halfway down to get it to kick in. It used to kick in sooner and smoother. I have resorted to anticipating it and putting the shift selector to 2 before the engine starts bogging down.
Now that you have explained it this way I think I know what is happening. When you are driving in Tow/Haul Mode at slower speeds like 30-35mph the transmission is in 3rd gear with the converter clutch engaged. With the stock TCM calibration your converter clutch will begin to engage at 36mph and be fully engaged at 39mph. When you start to accelerate like this with the transmission in 3rd gear and the converter clutch engaged it will take quite a bit of pedal to force a downshift. The reason for this is partly because of fuel economy and emissions but vastly towards vehicle performance. 3rd gear in the 545RFE is a 1:1 ratio which means all shafts are spinning at the same RPM which includes the crankshaft, input shaft, intermediate shaft, output shaft and the driveshaft. When a transmission is in a gear with a 1:1 ratio you can put the most power to the rear wheels hence why dyno pulls are almost always performed in a 1:1 gear.

The TCM software is designed to hold the transmission in 3rd gear with the converter clutch engaged as long as possible which is why it takes so much pedal to force a 3-2 downshift.

If you drive the truck with Tow/Haul turned off and let it shift normally you will notice the 4-3 and the 3-2 occurs much quicker because you are not holding the trans against the converter clutch. Give it a test drive and you will see what I mean.

All of my RFE transmissions perform exactly like yours does on the 3-2 downshift when in Tow/Haul Mode.