6.4 hemi lifter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Back to lifer in gasoline 6.4 ,
All I have engines some issue,
But I think if do your Oil changes at 5000 miles,
Used factory recommended oils, don’t idle it excessive, doing your
Recommend Maintenance
I think you should get 250.000
Miles out it. Ez,

OP
OP
justintyme01

justintyme01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back to lifer in gasoline 6.4 ,
All I have engines some issue,
But I think if do your Oil changes at 5000 miles,
Used factory recommended oils, don’t idle it excessive, doing your
Recommend Maintenance
I think you should get 250.000
Miles out it. Ez,
Thanks. I think it was the cylinder deactivation that was causing the problem on my half ton. I don’t know if the 6.4 or 5.7 in the heavy duties had the cylinder deactivation but I really don’t like the system in any truck. I had all work done at the dealership on my half ton and was religious with maintenance. That truck never seen a full 5k miles between oil changers.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
GM right now isn't very good...

That's for the half ton. The 6.0 and 6.6 in the GM heavy duty's don't have those issues at all, with the 6.0 being completely bullet proof and the 6.6 too new to tell.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Correction: WE will be giving EV's away. It's a double-edged sword.....regardless of arguments about best solutions to global heating reduction, if taxpayers - all taxpayers - are subsidizing EV's, then those who don't buy one don't get any product benefit from their share of the tax burden. This double-incentives people to buy an EV. This is unlike ethanol gasoline, where we were forced to support it AND buy it.

Author note - this is NOT a political / cultural / ideological rant....it is merely a statement of factual cause and effect. Make your own decision, I don't care what you (anyone) do. I'm just saying the decline of internal combustion engines has begun - unless somebody figures out how to cheaply capture carbon dioxide from the exhaust.
Well hydrogen does not produce CO2, but NOx is through the roof. They haven't figured out how to get rid of NOx while burning H2 in a vehicle. NOx is worse than methane, I think.
We just do not have the infrastructure to sustain EV vehicles yet, or solutions to charge them while off road like camping, or for any ship on oceans. I have a 42ft meridian ship, its a long range and I've taken it from Hawaii to Vietnam. But that is with two 300 gallon bladders on the deck, to feed my 5.9 Cummins engines. I can't imagine batteries doing that. Wind sure won't work to charge batteries, and not enough surface area to use solar either, I've seen dead calm for 5-6 days at a time on a few trips.
I dont mind some of the new tech coming out, but it seems they haven't figured out how to get a dumb population that can do what they need to do when their batteries are low. Alot of new tech is good to work with. I even have a power wall in my bug out bunker, and ways to charge it, when I'm camping my 5th wheel needs no help to work as well. But its all money I can't take with me if I die.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 6.4 here with 34,000 miles. Best combo I have found through testing is PUP 0w40 with the standard black Mopar filter. Changing oil every 5k. Really been happy with mine except for one time being well over 10k feet on a massive grade with over 10k in tow. She felt pretty flat there, wishing I at least had the 8 speed to help a little more.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well hydrogen does not produce CO2, but NOx is through the roof. They haven't figured out how to get rid of NOx while burning H2 in a vehicle. NOx is worse than methane, I think.
We just do not have the infrastructure to sustain EV vehicles yet, or solutions to charge them while off road like camping, or for any ship on oceans. I have a 42ft meridian ship, its a long range and I've taken it from Hawaii to Vietnam. But that is with two 300 gallon bladders on the deck, to feed my 5.9 Cummins engines. I can't imagine batteries doing that. Wind sure won't work to charge batteries, and not enough surface area to use solar either, I've seen dead calm for 5-6 days at a time on a few trips.
I dont mind some of the new tech coming out, but it seems they haven't figured out how to get a dumb population that can do what they need to do when their batteries are low. Alot of new tech is good to work with. I even have a power wall in my bug out bunker, and ways to charge it, when I'm camping my 5th wheel needs no help to work as well. But its all money I can't take with me if I die.
Hydrogen burns more co2 the gas, you know how?

In producing it. It takes 50kwh to make 1 gallon of hydrogen. To compare, it takes 33 kwh for 100 miles in a tesla. So if anyone thinks hydrogen is the answer, rethink that one.

Corn has always been the answer, works for brazil. When the house is cold and the cars don't run and the wokenestas are gone, we will be on corn. Every ram can easily be converted.

Last edited:

David J Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s been a couple years since I posted. I sold my ram when the dealer wouldn’t address my lifter issues. I’m in another half ton but am looking at getting a 3/4 ton. I loved my ram until it started having issues. I wanted to ask if the 6.4 had the same cam and lifter failures as my 5.7 did. Thanks everyone. In all honesty the ram 1500 may have ruined me for rams in general. I’m leaning toward a gm 6.0 gasser but would look at a 6.4 if I find the right deal. I’ve had two ram half tons so far and both had issues. The Dakota I had was the absolute worst vehicle I ever owned.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
"Euro" oils are formulated with the ACEA standards in mine, the reason they use those standards is because of the emission standards of the EU. Most of the time in not all, those oils have less protective additives such as zddp/phos and sulfur. Every new ACEA oil has lower additives then the last, and they are made specifically for the new engines the EU puts out, mostly di turbo's. It's similar to sae/api "American" oils, because we are doing the same thing. Most euro oils if not all are low SAP's, Sulfur, Ash, Phos. These oils were not designed for hemi's at all or with hemi's in mind, they were made for high reving efficient engines, of course the hemi gets it's power in lower rpm's. Of course they will work, especially in a well running hemi, but I'm not sure of you have dry tick or any tick this would be the way to go. Euro oils are not made for metal protection but rather longer intervals in engine that have been made to not need as much film strength. I'm not really sure it matters anymore because the api is mirroring what euro does, you can see any label for current acea spec versus current api specs. Develop your own strategy, just know the facts.

David J Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have 142,000 miles on my 2014 2500 6.4. What a fun truck this has been. I change the oil when the oil life gauge gets to half or 3/4. I knew I would have the lifter issue soon so it’s in the shop getting new lifters, valve springs, cam shaft, timing chain, and water pump. I should be able to get another 100,000 miles of fun out of this American bad boy. Here is a gas engine truck that tows 15,300 pounds with the assistance of that 4:10 rear (big ***** machine). Also, the mechanics on this forum suggest disabling the MDS system to eliminate the potential of early lifter failure. I’m not going to do that but it is interesting how the MDS reduces oil distribution to four of the lifters.

When I look at this truck as a machine, I am impressed and have a lot of fun.

America! **** Ya!!!

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 RAM with the 5.7. Second one which was a 2018 Rebel 5.7. The 21 started lifter noise at 930 miles. Six months old. The 2018 started lifter noise at 15k which was also the 5.7.
I had a 2009 Jeep Overland with the 5.7 never having any issues whatsoever.
The dealer shop advisor advised 5.7 is a constant problem. Not so much with the 6.4 but that engine has lifter problems as well.
I am also DONE with MOPARS older than 1973. I own a 73 Dart H Code 4 Speed. I love old MOPARS.
My next truck is going to be a Toyota. I read the GM’s are having engine troubles.
Ford trucks use to be great. Not so much anymore. The cab has to be removed from the frame to do major engine work. I find this insane.
IMO Toyota.

About tree fiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hydrogen burns more co2 the gas, you know how?

In producing it. It takes 50kwh to make 1 gallon of hydrogen. To compare, it takes 33 kwh for 100 miles in a tesla. So if anyone thinks hydrogen is the answer, rethink that one.

Corn has always been the answer, works for brazil. When the house is cold and the cars don't run and the wokenestas are gone, we will be on corn. Every ram can easily be converted.
Interesting. But what do you mean by corn, something like biofuel?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Brazil, 85% ethanol 15% oil, USA 10% ethanol 90% oil. When all else fails and we are done chasing pipe dreams, this is our future if we have one. Who knows anymore?

Easy to convert rams to take 85%, not the end of the world.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Corn requires energy to plant, weed, harvest, and most of all, convert the sugar into alcohol by boiling the mash. Net energy balance is negative, esp. compared to sucking goo out of the earth. Refining is much less energy intensive.

The H2 advocates say they can electrolyze water using solar for electricity to obtain the H2. Rightttttttttt.......the amount of electricity needed to obtain hydrogen on a mass scale for fuel is astronomical. It takes enormous amounts of energy to break apart water molecules into H2 and O2.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One of the things I like about my silverado when I had one was it was flex fuel, I could already drive 85% corn, the problem is there were none close to me in this "green" state, lol. Bay Area mind you and no flex fuel stations, lol.

Unless the no nukes loose and we can actually generate the electricity needed to run a country, there are just no answers that I see. And mind you I am a guy who spent 35k to put a solar field on my roof. Solar just aint gonna supply no where near the energy needed for this country. An algae field the size of rhode island can produce every ounce of energy needed, but until you cork the activists that aint happening. This country is about 50/50 split even to this day, when houses go cold and cars stop running, you will see that 50/50 look very different, real answers will appear.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Burla I never had you pegged as a renaissance man.

I let the utility scale up their solar farms and buy electricity from them. It's more coat efficient than a small scale system at every house. I like it. Many folks around here are opting into it. They've started decommissioning coal plants.
I want to see some new nuke plants to handle base electric load.

Silas Shafer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had 2 powerwagons. I loved both of them. I think the question would be with the 6.4 is do you mind worrying about where the next gas station is