6.4 intake manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sagegrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2007 ram 1500 with the 5.7. I'm trying to do the 6.4 intake manifold swap. I see a lot of kits online that come with everything you need to do the swap but the all say it's for 2009+ is the swap different on the 3rd gens? Would that kit not work on the 07?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Soooo.....you have a completely different generation of engine and to be honest, that swap would be a waste in your truck. The swap kits are designed for the later (09+) eagle 5.7 engine, which gets 395/410 hp/tq in it's latest version (yours is 345/375) via better heads, more cam, more compression, VVT & the active intake. Eagle heads are more like 6.1 heads; if you had better heads (say eagles or 6.1's or something aftermarket) and a cam swap, then you could get the adapter spacers and make it work. The 09+ trucks are prewired to actuate the manifold servo; you would have to add a power source, some harness and an rpm switch to make that happen. It's supposedly a good upgrade to the truck eagle 5.7's but it's pretty much overkill/diminishing returns (if any) on your stock engine.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemiLonestar the resident buzz kill :)

All good information though!
I don't think he bought the kit yet, so you might have saved him some cash. On the other hand, if he did he might be able to return or sell it and limit any loss.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2007 ram 1500 with the 5.7. I'm trying to do the 6.4 intake manifold swap. I see a lot of kits online that come with everything you need to do the swap but the all say it's for 2009+ is the swap different on the 3rd gens? Would that kit not work on the 07?
Better off running something else designed for that generation 5.7. Pre eagle 5.7. There are options available, However you are already starting slightly behind with the pre eagle setup. You do have an 07 which is a plus because that leaves you with a couple options for tuning.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
HemiLonestar the resident buzz kill :)

All good information though!
I don't think he bought the kit yet, so you might have saved him some cash. On the other hand, if he did he might be able to return or sell it and limit any loss.
I didn't even cover having to rearrange the accessory drive to fit it....the alternator is right in the way lol. Accessory drive, head & cam swap, then it might be worth it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't even cover having to rearrange the accessory drive to fit it....the alternator is right in the way lol. Accessory drive, head & cam swap, then it might be worth it.
It's information like that, that is sorely not thought of/missing when dealing with the 5.7 hemi for the first time modder.

For the old school guys, I don't think it helps that almost every other mopar V8 you could swap parts pretty freely among the same engine family.

OP
OP
S

sagegrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thing I haven't bought the kit yet thanks for the info. I've just been trying to find more ways to get some power. I currently just have a CAI, a catback system from flowmaster and a diablo tuner. I'm about to drop the money on some ARH long tubse and a custom tune. It's hard to find much for the pre eagle trucks.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is so much stuff for the pre-eagle trucks lol. So your list so far:
CAI - noise, not much else
Catback - also noise, not much else
Tuner - best thing you've done so far
The long tubes won't hurt, though that's going to be custom Y pipe/mid pipe. Between the headers, EGR and possibly messing with cats you may or may not be able to find a tuner willing to do a custom tune (that alters emissions equipment in any way) due to the recent EPA crackdowns. Long tubes generally do not have EGR provision which guess what, your engine has.

A cam swap would do wonders (if you're willing to give up MDS), these engines are woefully undercammed stock. Reason is they can make sufficient power without going overboard and still meet fuel economy goals because of the cylinder heads.
ProCharger makes a bolt in kit for that truck.
Gears
The design of the engine block and the accessory drive is what makes it difficult to use later intake manifolds or even the few aftermarket ones.
The weak link of the 3rd gen is the 545RFE trans. Mild power probably ok. Too far into the 400 hp range and you start living on borrowed time.

OP
OP
S

sagegrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The long tubes won't hurt, though that's going to be custom Y pipe/mid pipe. Between the headers, EGR and possibly messing with cats you may or may not be able to find a tuner willing to do a custom tune (that alters emissions equipment in any way) due to the recent EPA crackdowns. Long tubes generally do not have EGR provision which guess what, your engine has.

A cam swap would do wonders (if you're willing to give up MDS), these engines are woefully undercammed stock. Reason is they can make sufficient power without going overboard and still meet fuel economy goals because of the cylinder heads.
Gears
The design of the engine block and the accessory drive is what makes it difficult to use later intake manifolds or even the few aftermarket ones.
The weak link of the 3rd gen is the 545RFE trans. Mild power probably ok. Too far into the 400 hp range and you start living on borrowed time.
You're probably right it's all mostly noise buts it's fun lol. Do you have a link to buy an aftermarket intake manifold for the 3rd gens I haven't found anything. In my research all I see is throttle bodies and CAI as far as bolt on intake stuff goes. I have seen the procharger kit but the price tag turns me off, maybe one day. The ARH headers comes with long tubes High flow cats with o2 sensor extensions and y pipe. As far as finding someone who will tune it I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Jay grene racing or hemifever.

OP
OP
S

sagegrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also I already have mds disabled so I don't really care about losing it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Gears

Do you have a link to buy an aftermarket intake manifold for the 3rd gens I haven't found anything.
See bold above. The only one that might clear everything without altering the accessory drive is this one: https://www.holley.com/products/eng...fi_intake_manifolds/cast/hi-ram/parts/300-650 and it is overkill for anything you have planned. If you alter the accessory drive: http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-795-dodge-ram-61l-hemi-intake-adapter-kit.aspx (or make your own parts) then you can use pretty much any manifold you want, though any car manifold will require you delete the clutch fan and all OEM plastic manifolds require spacers or spacer adapters if still using pre-eagle heads.
As far as finding someone who will tune it I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Jay grene racing or hemifever.
Google 'EPA crackdown", plenty of info out there. Hemifever I know for a fact will not do cat delete tunes anymore and there is a better than even chance that would include EGR write out.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yellow flex fuel injectors & a 100 shot And be done . No liability or warranty implied