6.7 Crank Case Filter Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I managed to separate the two halves of the filter housing and remove the inner filter component fiber - then reassemble the two halves - and reinstall under the valve cover.
Just my preference to merely destroying the filter housing or running without any housing at all under the valve cover.
The newer (or better condition) the filter is - the more it has to be soaked in some sort of solvent to get the inner filter component fiber to come apart without damaging the plastic housing!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The CCV filter is there to stop oil from making it's way to the turbo. The only "plus" of gutting the filter assembly is you don't have to worry about it plugging up and pushing oil out of any engine seals. Your better off using the filter and change it sooner than the specified interval. I think starting with the '14 trucks that is 67.5K miles, when the Perform Service turn on.

OP
OP
Audiowriter

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with what you are saying. I just don't want the blow-by going into the turbo at all - it does have a slight oily residue even after the filter - every mile the blow-by after the filter gets more & more saturated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Gutting the filter will make the oil going to the intake worse. You would need to bypass the part that goes to the intake/turbo or install a catch-can of sorts to basically do the same thing as the filter.
It's your truck do what you think is right, but one of the members on this forum worked testing the Cummins and I remember him writing the turbos are quite hardy and will tolerate eating a lot dirt and gunk.

OP
OP
Audiowriter

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is part of the CC filter delete. Cut the hose just above the turbo inlet and pug it off. Then extend the hose from the valve cover to evacuate the blow-by elsewhere.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The CCV is actually more than just a filter. It’s a coalescent filter that makes vapors come together and make droplets where they are returned to the CC via the valve cover. I’ve read many articles about the pros and cons of deleted and stock configuration. The biggest negative to deleting it is the smell and the puddle under the breather tube.