Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeyboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need help to resolve these codes in 3.6 liter.
Is there a Cam/Crank relearn process that applies with cam swap? Other causes?
Could my timing chain bank 1 be stretched.

Background - changed cylinder 3 rockers to try to resolve P0303 misfire code (now fixed). But I incorrectly installed cam & VVT phaser. Engine started for a few seconds and bent a cylinder 5 valve. Then I replaced right side head, right side cams, intake VVT & phaser, all rockers, and right side chain tensioner guide. Cams jumped chain teeth while torquing so it took a while to get TDC and cam arrows and lines all aligned. Looked good. Added oil. Ran 1 hour. Changed oil & filter again. Reused existing cam position sensors. Engine runs great, good gas mileage, but some studder when stopping and idling, and codes P0017 and P0016 get set, usually when stopped. Drove 300 miles pulling boat trailer no issue, but code returned at low speed.

I thought I was perhaps off one timing chain gear tooth, so I inserted a wood dowel in #1 spark plug and manually rotated the crank to get the piston to TDC. Removed right side VVT solenoids to expose cam ends and the intake and exhaust cam lines are perfectly aligned.

I would take to local dealer to diagnose it but they are backlogged more than 4 weeks, then need 1-5 weeks to fix.
Any suggestions?
Is there a software "Cam/Crank Re-learn" procedure that applies if the cams (with position magnets) were replaced, even though the sensors were not replaced?
Is there an easy way to check right side chain for stretch (and tension) without removing the chain cover again? (Maybe I put too much force on the chain earlier when incorrectly trying to adjust crank & cam positions. Right side tensioner spring and plastic piston had popped out, but I cleaned, oiled and reassembled and think it is OK).
For a little effort and about $250, I could remove the right valve cover and install a new VVT Phaser & VVT valve on the exhaust cam, and a new (right side) cam position sensor.

Any help is welcomed. I'm lost at this point.