6.7 Cummins failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armypa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
I have a 2019 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel. It has only 26K miles on it. I was towing my fifth wheel and while going up a hill motor made a terribly loud sound under power then had something fly out under the truck and the motor seized up. All service was done at the dealership. Has anyone had this kind of catastrophic failure?

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So did the belt break and your truck was in drive that’s why you think it’s seized? Your leaving a lot of info out of what happened.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Kind of hard to say without knowing "what" went flying out under the truck. Is anything missing that you can see? Did you go back and get the part?

Most common failure for a 2019 with that mileage is going to be the dreaded CP4 fuel pump.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A very untypical failure of a Cummins with a poster that has all of one post with almost no details.
I sure hope he comes back with some kind of update or info.

OP
OP
A

armypa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
Kind of hard to say without knowing "what" went flying out under the truck. Is anything missing that you can see? Did you go back and get the part?

Most common failure for a 2019 with that mileage is going to be the dreaded CP4 fuel pump.
I tried to find what went flying out from underneath. I couldn’t find the piece but all the oil mixed with coolant was all over the road. The dealer confirmed there was a hole in the engine block. The dealer was instructed by Dodge to tear the motor down to find out what went wrong. There have been some reports that head gaskets have failed causing coolant to mix with the fuel. This is what I know so far. I put a call in to the dealer for an update.

OP
OP
A

armypa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
The dealer where I had my truck towed confirmed there was a hole in the engine block. I could not find what flew out from under my truck. Some articles have mentioned failures in the head gaskets that could cause fuel and coolant to mix. But being over 250 miles away from the dealer makes it difficult to get info. The dealer did tell not only the hole in the block but were told by Ram to do a complete tear down of the motor to figure out what happened. ‍♂️

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There was a reflash for Cab & Chassis trucks to increase warmup time. Apparently lube issues when cold could cause a catastrophic failure. On the pickups there was an issue with the low oil alert not working properly, and, again, putting a window in the block. Another reflash. The CGI 6.7 has had its share of teething issues, besides the CP4 debacle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

armypa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
Chrysler was asking those questions about warm up before we drove. The dealership is doing the tear down this weekend. I asked the dealership to send me the pictures so I know what happened. I will post them here when I get them. Besides, what is an adequate time to warm up with temps in the 80s to 90’s?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Chrysler was asking those questions about warm up before we drove. The dealership is doing the tear down this weekend. I asked the dealership to send me the pictures so I know what happened. I will post them here when I get them. Besides, what is an adequate time to warm up with temps in the 80s to 90’s?
For normal daily use I don't warm up at all. I have a bit of slow driving before I get to a main road, and these 6.7's warm up so much faster than my old 5.9 anyway. The only time I spend a few minutes of warmup is if I am pulling heavy, and know I have to quickly merge onto a freeway, meaning get into the boost pretty heavy. It seems they might have a lube issue, and I assume the warmup reflash likely limits fueling/boost until they deem it warm enough. These 6.7's definitely don't have the overbuilt, bulletproof nature that the 5.9's had.

OP
OP
A

armypa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
I have a 2019 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel. It has only 26K miles on it. I was towing my fifth wheel and while going up a hill motor made a terribly loud sound under power then had something fly out under the truck and the motor seized up. All service was done at the dealership. Has anyone had this kind of catastrophic failure?
Here is the first picture of the engine block. I do t know exactly where it is . Hopefully the dealership will send me more pictures as the tear down progresses.

Attachments

• D161F43F-526A-482B-818D-40FA58027ED4.jpeg
    D161F43F-526A-482B-818D-40FA58027ED4.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 63

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
That really doesn't look good. It takes a lot to break out a block like that. It will be interesting to see what they say happened.

Spud66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Doing a new engine in mine as we speak That appears to show pieces of block looking in the front. That fat loop appears to be a tow hook off a 4500 I dont recall what the th's look like on a 25/3500. Nice job sir!

Look around youtube and forums. Engines with 300 400 k miles still have crosshatches in cylinders. These things are meant to work!

It will be fine. Hope warranty covers it all!

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guy, that’s not a tow hook. When have you seen a tow hook inside the engine bay??‍♂️

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
When pulling the RV I generally start the truck and let it idle while getting the trailer ready to get on the road, then hitch up the trailer and remove any leveling blocks, etc., before actually pulling. The temp doesn't get up to full operating temp in this idle time but does get some heat into the engine so that it is not stone cold when applying a little throttle. I don't put much boost on until it is nearly up to full operating temp.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do you have a CP4 fuel pump in that year of Cummins?