6.7 no muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myron Lehman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new to thread, I needed my tailpipe replaced on my 2011 2500, I took it to the muffler shop to have it done and when I got it back home I noticed they removed the muffler. Will running this truck without the muffler cause any harm to the 6.7? The rest of the exhaust is stock.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Nope, the muffler is there for sound attenuation. Diesel engines don't benefit or need any back pressure to run correctly. Gassers torque curve can be effected by changing the exhaust, you hear about people loosing power in parts after a muffler replacement.
You still have the DPF in the exhaust which some people delete and run a tune.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No harm at all! The muffler does nothing but sound attenuation as mentioned above. Back pressure isnt a problem for turbo diesel trucks and with the DPF still on there you have a ton of restriction anyway. You are good to go. If by chance its too loud for you let us know and we can set you up with a DPF back kit!

OP
OP
M

Myron Lehman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No harm at all! The muffler does nothing but sound attenuation as mentioned above. Back pressure isnt a problem for turbo diesel trucks and with the DPF still on there you have a ton of restriction anyway. You are good to go. If by chance its too loud for you let us know and we can set you up with a DPF back kit!

Thanks, sets me at ease. Absolutely no sound difference, that’s why I did not even notice till I checked the work.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The turbo dissipates a bunch of the sound before the exhaust leaves the engine bay...I imagine it prob sounds pretty good now! Weird that they just deleted the muffler and sent you on your way....

OP
OP
M

Myron Lehman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The other reason I was asking is because normally my truck runs 200-205 operating temp not hauling. I hooked to my 26 foot travel trailer the other day and it was running 220-230. Seemed odd to me. Off trailer back to 200-205. Coincidental with the muffler removal I guess. Sounds like I may have a separate issue.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is that your coolant or oil temp that's running 220-230? Have you checked the coolant level, it's possible your low or has air in the system? I would clean your intercooler, AC condenser and radiator. It's possible that dirt/cottonwood has plugged up between them restricting airflow.

OP
OP
M

Myron Lehman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coolant temp, yes everything is full and flowing, fan kicks in at about 205. Other threads I have read is that while towing it’s common with the 6.7.
Not towing it stays at 200-205 and I run about 80-85.