6.7L or 6.4L???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I've got a 2012 1500 that I've had since new and now has 105,000 miles on it and a 2013 RCSB that I bought last year with 43,000 miles on it. A month ago someone side swiped me in the 2013 and the body shop has since notified me that there are rust issues on the bed. I've been considering buying a bigger truck anyway and this just gives me all the more reason to get rid of it.

I know I want a 2500 4x4. I recently bought a house on a bit of land and have since purchased a 60" zero turn mower, a compact Kobota tractor with several implements, a John Deere Gator and a 16' utility trailer to haul them all around on. I just retired less than a month ago so I plan to spend a lot more time working on my property. My hunting partner and I also have a few farms that we manage deer on which includes planting food plots so I'll be hauling the tractor and Gator to those a few times a year. We hunt out of a 35' camper and also have a 14' enclosed trailer we use to haul his Polaris Range EV and all of our hunting clothing & supplies, I'll likely be hauling those on occasion as well.

What I cannot decide is whether a diesel would make more sense than the 6.4L Hemi for my purposes. Our plan is to have a few horses before the end of next year and I''ll be transporting them on occasion but likely not too far. My research is telling me that the differences between the diesel and gas engines are narrowing so I can't come up with a clear winner. I'm hoping for some advice from other 2500 owners who may have experiences which will help sway me one way or the other. I don't much care for the looks of the new 2019 Rams so I'm wanting to find a 2018 and hope to keep it for a long time.

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My opinion, if you can afford it get more truck than you need. The Cummins engine produces a great amount of power, it’s nice to have when you need it or want it. I would think it would get better mileage than a big V8, but in my area diesel costs more than gas.

If you plan on getting horses, and keeping truck a long time, think about a 3500, you would be amazed what you start pulling around at the end of the day. The exhaust brake is very helpful on the Cummins if you have any mountains around you.

Good luck on the choice, I have a 3500 Cummins, I don’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking at them also.
I got to take both on a two day test drive and so far I’m leaning toward the Cummins. IMO the 6.7 feels more powerful, responsive and the mpg seem to be better.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Both are more than capable trucks for sure. If you go with the 2500 CTD just watch the payloads depending on your horse trailers. You might be better off with a 3500 at that point. Price difference is negligible between the two but registration depending on state might be higher.

Both engines will probably out last most of the truck so its a wash there. Diesel will pull loads better obviously but the hemi isnt a slouch.

Just consider the maintenance as well the CTD requires more frequent maintenance on drivetrain and other parts outside of oil changes more frequently but from the sounds of it you wont be driving it as much as some.

Honestly drive both and just go with what you think makes the most sense for you even if its more of a want it than need it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have owned both and have about the same towing requirements and frequency of use as you. I would recommend the diesel over the gas. If less frequent, I would say get the gasser hands down.

You buy a diesel because you need the low end torque benefits it brings. Otherwise gas engines shines way better. Math for diesel takes a long while for it catch up to gas and is not a good comparison if the financials is a primary consideration over actual need and use.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Heres my take on it, if you plan on doing any mods like a lift and larger tires go diesel. That extra torque can help make it up the hills when towing more weight.

Mileage should be pretty close to a wash with the higher price of diesel in most places. Oil changes are more since you need 3 gallons of oil. But if you do them yourself not so bad.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a hemi now........ but everyday wish I would have stayed with my 6.7 Cummins.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do a lot of short trips and have a lot of idle time the gas engine is better. If you tow over 10k pounds regularly the diesel might be the way to go. Years ago it was an easy choice when dieset fuel cost far less than gas but not any more. Be aware for your intended payloads, gas trucks carry more in the same size truck.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
As to fuel cost, I just picked up my toy hauler in Oklahoma, and pulled it back to AZ. Call it 1200 miles. My 6.4 averaged 7.5-7.9 mpg. From my previous CTD experience, I can say with confidence that my CTD would have gotten 11 mpg. Regular was about $2.50 along my route, and diesel about $3.50 at major travel centers. That is a wash cost-wise. Not to mention the vastly better grunt of the Cummins, and the added peace of mind of the exhaust brake on downgrades.

If pulling is important to you go Cummins.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started with the 6.4 hemi in a 2500, I liked it, it did a good job. In My mind it struggles more than it should because of wacky internal gearing in the tranny. Hated the 1-2 gap in the transmission also. Towing 10K pounds it was in 2nd gear at 5K rpms on the interstate a few times in hilly country. I just traded it 5 weeks or so ago on a 2018 ram 3500 with the cummins. The difference is night and day. Good bit better MPG's and Pulling is a breeze now. My suggestion is if your really getting the truck to work / tow then its hard to beat the diesel. if your just going to tow average weights a few times a year then the 6.4 is a great package as well

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I appreciate the feedback gents. I can't imagine I won't lift it and have at least 35" tires, if not 37", it's kind of my thing. I don't typically haul much weight in the bed and it'll have a cap on it so no bulk materials, I'll use the trailer for that.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I appreciate the feedback gents. I can't imagine I won't lift it and have at least 35" tires, if not 37", it's kind of my thing. I don't typically haul much weight in the bed and it'll have a cap on it so no bulk materials, I'll use the trailer for that.

Depending on the wheel offset these trucks can fit 37s on stock suspension. Apparently there is no difference between 0-3" lift for tire spacing.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both engines will do the job Towing and Hauling, the diesel will just do it better. But also consider the extra upfront cost of the diesel which I think is 7 or $8,000, and then the extra maintenance cost down the line also....

tucka71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I think the diesel holds its value much better

I have a 2013 2500 big horn mega cab 4×4 diesel. Only problems I've had is with the tipm. On my 4th one.. other then that great truck..

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/

^ Look here for a truck, for bottom line prices, as far as which truck... it’s all personal preference, if I where you I would wait. Could be a 8 speed launched soon, and that my friend is a Game changer. Could be a year or two.. but who knows.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
I've got a 2014 1500 5.7 Hemi and a 2018 CTD. The diesel is hands down better at towing, it's not even close. And better mileage, even with the 35x12.5x20 tires that are on the CTD. I realize the 6.4 has more HP and torque than the 5.7, but not anywhere near enough to make up for what the CTD brings.

MajorMalfunction

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Diesel is better than gas for hauling or towing. That's physics and math. But the math also says that diesel is a lot more up front cost, so if you are in the truck for a long time, the diesel is the way to go.

One standard argument is that diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. If you are towing with the Hemi, you need to use premium. Premium is just as expensive as diesel in my area BUT gas is still only going to get about 60% of the mph that diesel will.

I get 22 mpg highway at 70 mph with my 6.7 CTD. I would imagine the 6.4 Hemi is getting 12-14 mpg at the same speed. I get that in my diesel towing my 7000 lb trailer!

So there are a lot of factors. The more weight you are hauling/towing AND the higher frequency you are doing it will tilt the scale toward a diesel. And then the opposite is true towards for gas. But its always better to buy more truck then you need because you don't want to be stuck with something that cannot do the job.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a 07 5.9 4x4 6 spd manual with a dtt 3:73 differential I use to tow a car trailer. It's all truck and a keeper..