6 Speed Transmission overheat - fluid change and now...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 6 speed, 96,000+ miles. I do a fair amount of light towing (Scout trailer, robotics trailer, RZRs), I believe that the previous owner did similar.
I towed my car hauler with my RZR and my dad's quad about a 1/2 hour through some light hills between 45-55 when my dash was flashing at me that the transmission was overheating. not sure for how long because my gas gauge had failed recently and the dash was already giving me a low fuel warning.

The fluid was brown and ugly, so once i got the fuel pump changed, i did a fluid and filter change. I dropped the pan, changed the filters and refilled with ATF+4 synthetic. I then removed the cooler lines and ran a couple of gallons out of the lines, keeping the tranny full of new fluid. I also kept the return line in jug of new fluid.
I did notice that the flow out of the lines never had much for pressure. I also filled the cooler full of alcohol and blew all of that out till it was clear. (it wasn't bad)
I checked the level and it wasn't on the dipstick so I bought more fluid and filled it up the next day. I drove the truck about 8 miles and shut it off, trans temp stayed under 125. An hour or more later i drove the truck another 4 miles and it was in drive, but the indicator was showing manual mode, 4th gear. I couldn't adjust it either. I had to back up and the trans acted like it had a high stall converter in reverse. Then back in drive, it was showing manual 4 again and to move was about 2500+ RPMs. I checked the fluid and it was showing barely on the dipstick. I added fluid, but it never changed the way the trans acted. Temp never got over 125. I left it where it is and my son is dragging it home on the trailer today.

Any advice on what to do next?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you use tow haul mode when towing ? Sorry, but I think your trans is fried.

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
tow/haul mode engaged. I haven't checked the codes yet, maybe tonight. time to see what the warranty covers...

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have a 2014 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi and 6 speed, 96,000+ miles. I do a fair amount of light towing (Scout trailer, robotics trailer, RZRs), I believe that the previous owner did similar.
I towed my car hauler with my RZR and my dad's quad about a 1/2 hour through some light hills between 45-55 when my dash was flashing at me that the transmission was overheating. not sure for how long because my gas gauge had failed recently and the dash was already giving me a low fuel warning.

The fluid was brown and ugly, so once i got the fuel pump changed, i did a fluid and filter change. I dropped the pan, changed the filters and refilled with ATF+4 synthetic. I then removed the cooler lines and ran a couple of gallons out of the lines, keeping the tranny full of new fluid. I also kept the return line in jug of new fluid.
I did notice that the flow out of the lines never had much for pressure. I also filled the cooler full of alcohol and blew all of that out till it was clear. (it wasn't bad)
I checked the level and it wasn't on the dipstick so I bought more fluid and filled it up the next day. I drove the truck about 8 miles and shut it off, trans temp stayed under 125. An hour or more later i drove the truck another 4 miles and it was in drive, but the indicator was showing manual mode, 4th gear. I couldn't adjust it either. I had to back up and the trans acted like it had a high stall converter in reverse. Then back in drive, it was showing manual 4 again and to move was about 2500+ RPMs. I checked the fluid and it was showing barely on the dipstick. I added fluid, but it never changed the way the trans acted. Temp never got over 125. I left it where it is and my son is dragging it home on the trailer today.

Any advice on what to do next?
Is this the transmission first fluid change at 96k?

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only had the truck since the spring. Just got off the phone with the dealer, the 5 year period expired last month...

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have only had the truck since the spring. Just got off the phone with the dealer, the 5 year period expired last month...
Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that. After the rebuild I would do a pan drop every 30k with filter change. But I would try a Quick Learn from the dealership first; my new 2500 lost 5th and 6th gear at 2400 miles when I was on vacation. Pull into the closest dealership and I was thinking my vacation was over and that the tranny was shot. They cleared the code and performed a quick learn and I was back on the road within 1 hour. Not sure how or why but it worked. My tranny is not 100% but it saved my vacation.

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks HammerHead, I'm not counting out simple just yet, the way the symptoms occurred does not convince me of catastrophic failure.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyway after you filled the transmission, once it was started and ran through its cycles and put everything where it needed to be it could be low..

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It had worked fine up until i stopped, i was able to reverse a short distance and drive in a driveway, then I checked the fluid level, it was low and i added fluid, but it did not change the functionality.

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not working at all, a little movement above 3000 RPMs, codes are P0731A, P0876, P0868

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try calling FCA and see if they can help you with the parts costs... (most manufacturers call it "Good Will")
your not that far outta warranty, i would think they could help you a little in some way on parts cost... if they want a repeat RAM buyer.

OP
OP
C

Chris Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
when searching for the vin in my emails, i came across an email in my spam box for an offer for the extended warranty that expired on 10/22 :/