66rfe Swap Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been looking on all of the forums and fb pages. I can’t get the answers or the info, I’m looking for. I know I’m gonna get a lot of guys talk 8 speed swap. I’m gonna take a moment and say this if you’re looking to make that comment or you looking to insert your opinion on which transmission or a different t case that I should use. Please take your comment and move on as I’m not looking for any other opinions, I’m just looking for the info that I need. That’s outta the way, I have seen other threads about swapping in a 66rfe into the 1500 trucks. I can never find the info I need. So I’ll see if I can get it here. Im look to see if anyone has the length, diameter and spline count of the 66 and 65 rfe input planet’s output shaft (the most rear shaft) in both transmissions and also the inner and outer spline count on the the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case input gear planet. As well if anyone knows if the output shaft on the input planet of the 66rfe is removable or if the sun gear in the input planet of the t case is removable? I have the software issues already worked out as I just have to take my ecu and put a digital partition in it to run a virtual tcm for the 66. Just trying to line everything up on the mechanical side as if it has be done with the 2 wheel drive models. There has to be a fix to mate it to the bw 4444.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Why is this triple posted?

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did’t think it would be a big deal to have it in different categories but if it’s more of a hassle I’ll take two down

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did’t think it would be a big deal to have it in different categories but if it’s more of a hassle I’ll take two down
Hassle? You mean those pesky forum rules you agreed to so that you aren't spamming the forum in multiple places with multiple conversations about the same exact thing lol?

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 09-34-01 RamForum.com Site Rules.png

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could see if it was an actual spamming issue where I was advertising something but anyways I guess the thread will be full of stuff about spamming and rules. Not about the actual info I’m looking for.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I hope you will get the answer you're looking for. As for the spamming thing, just ask the mods to delete the other two identical posts and lets hope folks can get you sorted.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks RodRamcar. Yeah I already got the spamming thing taken care of. Not the end of the world. Yeah I’ve tried asking my question mutiple times on different fb groups and all and usually I just get jokers commenting about 8 speeds or 6l80’s or 47re’s. I’m after building the closest thing to a built 68rfe as I can for my truck. So Hopefully I can get my answer soon. Then start building the 66 for rig.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Don't expect an answer on this, no one else is going to do.

A good tuner could get that 65rfe shifting close to the 66

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't expect an answer on this, no one else is going to do.

A good tuner could get that 65rfe shifting close to the 66
See there another negative post. Lol I’m not looking to get close plus the 65 can not handle any power over stock. The 66 rfe can handle a lot more power as it uses the same internals as the 68 rfe. So there’s a whole aftermarket of bilet parts that can be used to handle well over a 1000 hp!!! So it’s not just about shift points for me. I’m not looking to get close to the 66. I’m looking to put a 66 and there are guys that know how to do this and that do have the info. They are just hard to find. I had one guy that was willing to help me achieve this but he died last year before having a chance to help. So there has to be others out ther like him

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This thread has some technical info on output shafts, etc. The OP looks like he is working the same swap as you. He is still active on the forum so perhaps reach out to him to swap info.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
See there another negative post. Lol I’m not looking to get close plus the 65 can not handle any power over stock. The 66 rfe can handle a lot more power as it uses the same internals as the 68 rfe. So there’s a whole aftermarket of bilet parts that can be used to handle well over a 1000 hp!!! So it’s not just about shift points for me. I’m not looking to get close to the 66. I’m looking to put a 66 and there are guys that know how to do this and that do have the info. They are just hard to find. I had one guy that was willing to help me achieve this but he died last year before having a chance to help. So there has to be others out ther like him
Good Luck!!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Clue us into why you want to do the 66 swap instead of the more common 8 speed swap. There's a reason why you aren't finding many guys with knowledge on this swap,it's not a very common swap.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clue us into why you want to do the 66 swap instead of the more common 8 speed swap. There's a reason why you aren't finding many guys with knowledge on this swap,it's not a very common swap.
Not looking for an 8 speed. I have a buddy that has the 8 speed with a 6” lift and it’s always hunting for gears in and around town and it burns way more gas then my truck and I’m on a bigger lift with bigger tires. He has had multiple issues with his, his came with the 8. So the 8 speed isn’t the end all be all. It might be great for drag racing but for trucks that spend their time in the mud and as a daily driver. It does not fit the build for at all. If I wanted an 8 speed as I drove his a lot before I bought mine. I would have bought an 8 speed. I just want a 6 speed that has a better first gear ratio and can hold of the abuse the 392 stroker will create along with my heavy foot. I don’t like the gear ratios on the 8 just a bunch of stuff. I’m very and I mean very hard on my truck besides for the wot down shifts and the stock 65 has held up ok. I’m getting ready for a stroker motor and I want the 66. As it share all intervals with the 68 and with all the bullet aftermarket support the desolation boys are able to hold well over 1000 go. So I’ll put all of the billet parts the 66 and 68 share. Plus all the kids that are out there for the 65 pump, valve body and good billet torque converter and call it a day.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread has some technical info on output shafts, etc. The OP looks like he is working the same swap as you. He is still active on the forum so perhaps reach out to him to swap info.

Read this thread mutiple times. Doesn’t have the info I’m looking for plus guys saying 8 speed swap it but I thought he had went a different route but if he is still working in it I will reach out to him. I’d have it done if Charles Barrett of hell raiser performance passed away. As he was helping do the build. Seems like he was the only one that knew the info on this swap and took it to his grave

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Looks like you might need one of these to find the information you seek.

1711881412237.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not looking for an 8 speed. I have a buddy that has the 8 speed with a 6” lift and it’s always hunting for gears in and around town and it burns way more gas then my truck and I’m on a bigger lift with bigger tires. He has had multiple issues with his, his came with the 8. So the 8 speed isn’t the end all be all. It might be great for drag racing but for trucks that spend their time in the mud and as a daily driver. It does not fit the build for at all. If I wanted an 8 speed as I drove his a lot before I bought mine. I would have bought an 8 speed. I just want a 6 speed that has a better first gear ratio and can hold of the abuse the 392 stroker will create along with my heavy foot. I don’t like the gear ratios on the 8 just a bunch of stuff. I’m very and I mean very hard on my truck besides for the wot down shifts and the stock 65 has held up ok. I’m getting ready for a stroker motor and I want the 66. As it share all intervals with the 68 and with all the bullet aftermarket support the desolation boys are able to hold well over 1000 go. So I’ll put all of the billet parts the 66 and 68 share. Plus all the kids that are out there for the 65 pump, valve body and good billet torque converter and call it a day.
Your buddy probably needs deeper gears in his truck. Heres a little tidbit for you,you can manually shift the 8 speed,which will bypass it's gear hunting,especially if you add paddle shifters to it. Why do a stroker 5.7 when you could do a 6.4 and get better heads.Doesn't cost anymore to do a 411 to 426 cubed 6.4 as it does to do a stroker 5.7.If you start with a 6.4 BGE truck block,with a valve and spring swap,you basically get hellcat heads,with a NA intake manifold bolt pattern. If you think the 8HP70 isn't up your alley,you could do a 8HP95 instead,it's factory rated to 700 lb-ft,and there's outfits who'll build it to last behind 900 rear wheel lb-ft.
It sucks that Charles passed away like he did,as he was fairly knowledgeble in regards to the Chryco transmissions.You might be on your own doing this swap,as it's not a common swap
Good luck on your swap.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your buddy probably needs deeper gears in his truck. Heres a little tidbit for you,you can manually shift the 8 speed,which will bypass it's gear hunting,especially if you add paddle shifters to it. Why do a stroker 5.7 when you could do a 6.4 and get better heads.Doesn't cost anymore to do a 411 to 426 cubed 6.4 as it does to do a stroker 5.7.If you start with a 6.4 BGE truck block,with a valve and spring swap,you basically get hellcat heads,with a NA intake manifold bolt pattern. If you think the 8HP70 isn't up your alley,you could do a 8HP95 instead,it's factory rated to 700 lb-ft,and there's outfits who'll build it to last behind 900 rear wheel lb-ft.
It sucks that Charles passed away like he did,as he was fairly knowledgeble in regards to the Chryco transmissions.You might be on your own doing this swap,as it's not a common swap
Good luck on your swap.
he had 3.92 with 35’s and a 6” lift. So that’s fine for it. Thanks. Like I said I’m not interested in a 8 speed. I’ll just do all the upgrades on my 65 first. I’ll never put a 8 in my truck. If I wanted an 8 speed. I would have bought an 8 speed truck. The 8 speed to me is garbage and I’ll never have it. Plus from what I sees there’s no aftermarket support for them. It’s just not what I wants and I’ll never ever have one. Not in this truck. My missus had a brand new one with an 8 speed. Not my cup of tea ever. Yeah it is a shame as Charles was the man with the rfe transmissions. I might be but I have a plan, if I have to. I’m just looking for a less expensive option first. I’m not looking to go crazy. I’m not putting a 6.4 in the truck. It’s not what I wants. I have my opinion on it all. The his isn’t a race truck. It’s my daily driver. No I don’t want anything to do with a hellcat or turbo for this truck. **** that ****! I’m building a n/a 392 stroker with a 6 speed. The bay I can daily drive it and abuse the hell out of it. I’m so sick of 8 speed this and hellcat that. That’s what give dodge guys bad name. No thank you on that crock of garbage. It’s still a stock engine and has its problem. No thank you. Mines gonna built proper Loy and not have to worry about it. Just like I won’t be using hell car lifters. I’ll be using the Johnson’s lifters.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
he had 3.92 with 35’s and a 6” lift. So that’s fine for it. Thanks. Like I said I’m not interested in a 8 speed. I’ll just do all the upgrades on my 65 first. I’ll never put a 8 in my truck. If I wanted an 8 speed. I would have bought an 8 speed truck. The 8 speed to me is garbage and I’ll never have it. Plus from what I sees there’s no aftermarket support for them. It’s just not what I wants and I’ll never ever have one. Not in this truck. My missus had a brand new one with an 8 speed. Not my cup of tea ever. Yeah it is a shame as Charles was the man with the rfe transmissions. I might be but I have a plan, if I have to. I’m just looking for a less expensive option first. I’m not looking to go crazy. I’m not putting a 6.4 in the truck. It’s not what I wants. I have my opinion on it all. The his isn’t a race truck. It’s my daily driver. No I don’t want anything to do with a hellcat or turbo for this truck. **** that ****! I’m building a n/a 392 stroker with a 6 speed. The bay I can daily drive it and abuse the hell out of it. I’m so sick of 8 speed this and hellcat that. That’s what give dodge guys bad name. No thank you on that crock of garbage. It’s still a stock engine and has its problem. No thank you. Mines gonna built proper Loy and not have to worry about it. Just like I won’t be using hell car lifters. I’ll be using the Johnson’s lifters.
Not sure where you got the idea there's no aftermarket support for the ZF transmissions,off the top of my head there's Sipple / Paramount / Pure etc. that build some pretty robust 8 speeds with billet components.
Yea i think most of us have figured out you're very opinoinated :Big Laugh:
Personally i think you're a bit out in left field with some of your ideas,but whatever it's your truck and money,so good luck with the swap

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If your going to abuse it, might want look at some upgrades. ATS has some HD parts and their Copilot modifies the shifts, line pressure and torque converter lockup to help the trans take the abuse.