66rfe upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here and I just recently bought a 2017 2500 6.4 with the 66rfe transmission in it. The truck only has 43,000 miles. I am looking for tips on upgrades people have done and maintenance suggestions on making the transmission last.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You wont find much, just research upgrades to the 68rfe and those will be able to be used in your 66 assuming we are talking valve body.

All you want to know is in video, I make no recommendation on this brand either way, probably as good as the rest, but this video found by hemi395 is a great resource.

Look up the synthetic filter for rfe thread and get metal threads one time purchase cheap and use synthetic filters for canister, only use oem sump filter for rfe. Redline c+ has been quite the good fluid upgrade took away low rpm shudder I had since new. Mixes with oem no issue, drop pan change filters would need 8 quarts.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sadly not all metal threads are equal, member U&A found this guy, generally the best metal thread upgrades available, the issue with other billet ones are they fit loose, this is a nice snug fit, buy once and never worry about those plastic threads breaking which will end your transmission. In this case the best is also the cheapest, you can even buy ten for 55 bucks and make some money around here.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was changing the fluid in my 66rfe yearly but now that I deleted the thermostat and went with redline c+ I'll probably do every other year. I'm also not driving the truck as much as I was.

Don't do wide open throttle while in overdrive. Manually down shift first then let it rip. I've heard that destroys rfe's (od clutches if I remember right). I drive a lot of the same routes so when I'm coming up to a hill I know the transmission will need to downshift to make it up I'll manually downshift it before the hill.

132k on mine, knock on wood, no problems so far.

bigdodge

Reaction score
131k on mine as well. Just change the fluid and filters about every 30k with redline. I had all kinds of loud clunky shifting when I got it. After going to redline it's all gone

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I would monitor the fluid like any auto transmission. Probably change fluid/filters, etc at 80k and leave it at that. Don't overthink it. Of course check fluid color and smell periodically like normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you need to.

Make sure it doesn't overheat of course. If you're towing or doing other severe service things than ramp up fluid changes. Mine's got 175,000 mi. and going strong. But it's pretty much a pavement princess (well "Princes" is probably too flattering of a term .lol).

Last edited: