7 way pin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great question. Just bought mine used, and it’s got a bag with some trailer light parts in it. Haven’t tried my trailer yet but thinking I’d better get out there and see if the lights work. Hopefully an experienced person will answer your question.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2021 slightly used, but it didn't have the receiver installed, so I don't think the previous owner towed anything. I didn't have to do anything special for the trailer wiring, it was already working. The trailer brakes still needed a brake controller; I went with Tekonsha.

FullSteveAhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque
They'll be wired and ready on that year, assuming it's an OEM female plug.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '23 was wired and ready to go but I also have the factory brake controller. My old '19 w/o a factory brake controller was wired and live as well. The controller plug was the same way. I just bought a harness and it was plug and play with the brake controller (Tek P3).

BrenttheMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I got my 2020 1500, it had the 7-way pin and hitch receiver, but no trailer brake controller.

manumurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to run a winch on a trailer using the 7 way plug and 12 v charging pin to power the winch. Is that possible? Haven't been able to make it run. Winch works fine when connected to a battery. The charging pin appears to have voltage.
Or should I just install a battery to run it?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You probably popped the fuse. The 12v charge wire is about 14 or 16ga (small) and is for maintaining trailer battery voltage so low amperage.
Check your under hood fuse box.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does a new ram 1500 2021 come with the 7 way pin activated or does it have to be wired and fuse put it.
All wired and ready to go. Now you have to PAY attention to what Adapter you buy. Some are 7-6 way adapters and some are 7-7 adapters. If you are towing a trailer, or whatever and it has reverse lights, than insure you buy a 7-7 adapter.

FTR, these are not Fords where they GAVE you the fuse, and you had to put in the fuse in the proper place in the fuse box to enable the charging pin.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to run a winch on a trailer using the 7 way plug and 12 v charging pin to power the winch. Is that possible? Haven't been able to make it run. Winch works fine when connected to a battery. The charging pin appears to have voltage.

You are probably not gonna run that winch on the trailer 7 pin. You would need to put another block attached to the fuse box for the winch, way too much amperage for the lowly 7 pin, imho.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that i would run at least a 8 gauge wire from the battery, using an weather proof inline fuse near the battery.
Run the 10 gauge wire along the frame with all the other wires, to at least a point right behind the drivers side rear tire.
At that point, you should notice a junction that is for the tailgate locking mechanism & back up camera, there is another connection for the tailgate, directly behind & above the rear license plate.

I believe they placed that connection on the frame near the rear tire, in case they have to work on the exhaust system

This setup is for ATVs, but you can use a similar setup for the rear or front of a truck, maybe for a trailer too

Harbor Freight has a 12,000 pound winch cradle
other HF gear

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Definitely think you popped the fuse. Winches take a LOT more power than that little wire and fuse can handle.

I've hooked my trucks up to campers before and been able to force the electric jacks/hydraulic jacks/pumps to run when the trailer battery was 'dead', but then you're drawing off the camper battery to get your amperage and just getting your voltage from the truck. Still can't convince my FIL that this works but it does - a battery can have NO voltage but still have amperage. And RVs typically only monitor voltage, so if you can convince the electronics that your voltage is steady, then they'll draw those amps and run.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Voltage isn't the problem, it's the amperage. For the winch all you need is the hot wire and the ground wire connected on the plug, but you're probably going to need a 30 amp fuse. However, you can't replace the current 15 or 20 amp fuse that protects that 7-pin connector or you will end burning up some wiring. I think you're going to have to get an extra battery in a box on the front of your trailer that is dedicated to the winch.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
but you're probably going to need a 30 amp fuse. However, you can't replace the current 15 or 20 amp fuse that protects that 7-pin connector
The fuse that protects the +12V pin on the 7 pin plug is fuse F30 and it's
a FMM 30 amp for the '13 and newer Gen4 trucks. The trailer brake pin is also a 30 amp, the four light circuits are 20 amp.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No it is not possible. You will burn out your wiring drawing those kind of AMPS, or hopefully blow the fuse first. Winch at max load pulls north of 250 Amps, even a start will be over 50 Amps. Like you said, put a battery on the trailer that you hook the winch to. You can charge the battery using that hookup, but you cannot power the winch direct.

rondvc40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone show how the clips on the 7 pin/4 pin connector to reinstall it. I took mine off and unclipped from underneath and can't for the life of me figure out how the go back on. Can anyone show a photo of how they are installed on.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Can anyone show how the clips on the 7 pin/4 pin connector to reinstall it. I took mine off and unclipped from underneath and can't for the life of me figure out how the go back on. Can anyone show a photo of how they are installed on.

Not sure what you mean but this is looking straight up at the plugs.
20230708_154507.jpg