8 spd tranny at 100K miles What now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's more than a couple hundred bucks to have the trans fluid changed by the dealership. I have heard 1400.00 being tossed around on various forums. About 250 to 300.00 to do it yourself.

Part of the reason it’s expensive is the replacement of the filter. The filter is part of the trans pan. You can buy a replacement pan with a replaceable filter and a drain as well. Makes the next change cheaper
Edit:also easier next time as well as extra capacity and better cooking of the trans as the replacement pan is aluminum instead of plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy **** you drive alot :driver::peace:
I own a small transport company.....

Yes, correct about the replacement pans, makes it cheaper in the long run.

No need to go to dealer or use genuine fluid.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
It's more than a couple hundred bucks to have the trans fluid changed by the dealership. I have heard 1400.00 being tossed around on various forums. About 250 to 300.00 to do it yourself.

I had my transmission fluid replaced with oem genuine one for less than couple hundred. I didn't do the filter, but just replacing the fluid is good enough for me, for at least another 30k miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That was a nice looking one, but magnets?

Germans don't know Rams, but isn't the pan the same on all 8HP70!!? the sticker can say BMW I don't care ;)

That i'm not sure of,but when you punch in a truck application for the BMW pan it says it doesn't fit.I'm curious about whether it'd fit a truck though,but not curious enough to spend the money on it,lol.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changing the fluid is not hard, it does take a little time. There are videos on the net on how to do it. After you install the new filter/pan you fill the trans until fluid runs out of the fill hole. Then run the engine to get the trans fluid up to a specified temp, then remove the fill plug. Then after a the fluid stops running out, put the plug in, and you are done.
Your best bet is to run OEM fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNo9Ln5KrOE&feature=youtu.be

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Remember this phrase ‘non-serviceable’. That’s what most new cars/trucks have for major components. The manufacturer/dealership are building main components that can not be serviced and must be replaced by a dealership. They want disposable cars, keeps the money flowing. I’ve already seen what their doing next for oil changes. Your basically are going to replace a ‘cartridge’ that has the oil and filter together. Sure it’s easy for the person that looks at a vehicle as a appliance, but those of us that like to wrench and drive will be left out. One of the main reasons I swapped my 1500 for the 2500. You can still fix stuff yourself on the HD stuff.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What can you fix on the 2500 that you cant fix on the 1500 ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Remember this phrase ‘non-serviceable’. That’s what most new cars/trucks have for major components. The manufacturer/dealership are building main components that can not be serviced and must be replaced by a dealership. They want disposable cars, keeps the money flowing. I’ve already seen what their doing next for oil changes. Your basically are going to replace a ‘cartridge’ that has the oil and filter together. Sure it’s easy for the person that looks at a vehicle as a appliance, but those of us that like to wrench and drive will be left out. One of the main reasons I swapped my 1500 for the 2500. You can still fix stuff yourself on the HD stuff.

And yet FCA will sell you a lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan - Ram 1500 Raw (228053000)

I like this... I am going to price the fluid and see if my local garage will do the servicing if I buy this pan.

thx Wild one

So I picked up the aluminum pan during black Friday for less than $250 delivered. It is nice. I took it to my local auto repair place and booked a fluid change. He is going to order the gasket and the fluid. Chyrsler fluid is nearly $27/qt his price.

Anybody have a cheaper source for genuine 8 speed ZF fluid?

I am looking at Amsoil ATL (equivalent) and Redline DT6... anyone using either of these types?

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to redline their d6 atf meets the requirements for the zf lifeguard 8 atf which is what zf says is recommended for all 8hp70 type transmissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind that " lifetime oil " actually means: " last a little longer than the warranty"
If your going to keep the truck long term, change the fluid

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind that " lifetime oil " actually means: " last a little longer than the warranty"
If your going to keep the truck long term, change the fluid

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Or buy a lifetime warranty and let the dealer worry about it

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The term "non-serviceable" was just told to me as I'm on my way to take my truck into the dealership for the 5th time in 6 weeks for a leaking 8spd. So it sounds like I'm at least getting close to a replacement.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned a ton of different vehicles and transmissions and have never had a lubrication-related failure on engine, transmission, transfer case, axles..., even at higher mileage.

I trust the engineers and will not be changing out my ZF transmission fluid unless I encounter high water or unexpected maintenance requiring the transmission to be opened up.

Side note: I was reading about the ZFs on several BMW forums -- those guys can be real A-holes! "The ZF is great, but Dodge sucks and the programming has ruined them." "The ZF is wonderful in our applications, but in those sh!tty mopars it is garbage." And on and on...

Cool leased 320i, buddy.

I can 1000% believe this