100k Mile service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjbrox113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I know this is the ultimate Knob question but Im really finding this page difficult to navigate.
First off, I dont use mechanics. One because im too cheap and 2 because I have trust issues.

So that said. I just bought a 2014 Limited Laramie with 213k miles and it has not had its 100k mile service.

This truck is mostly a grocery getter for me but I do live in Colorado so it will experience extreme conditions like cold, elevation and extended pulls up I70. I dont have a trailer but that may be in the future.

Based on what I have seen I am going to do the following. There is a great local Car Quest near me that I dont mind paying a bit more for but im not going nuts since there is also a wallmart near me

Rear diff - Valvoline 75W-140W Full Synthetic (Do I need to add anything to this?) Wallmart or Car Quest

Front diff - Valvoline 75-90W Full Synthetic Wallmart or Car Quest

Transfer case - I have the dial and 4x4 auto so I assume BW44-44. Is the only optiion MOPAR at $40/qt?

Transmission - Valvoline MaxLife ATF Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF (is this the red bottle and not the +4 )

Transmission pan - I cant decide between the Dorman or the PPE. I dont tow so its probably just fine to get the Dorman. Also the Dorman comes with the bolts. Finally, I know there are some tstat deletes but since I do a lot of short trips in the cold I dont think I want to bypass a tstat

Plugs - Looks like NGK 92145 is the way to go. Amazon had good pricing but I heard about fakes. Summit seems to have the best deal

PCV - I dont know, Can I just get this at Car Quest?

Coolant - I dont even know what color mine currently is.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Rear diff will need limited slip addative unless you get the gear oil that has it royal purple I Beleive has it in it. The 44-44 I use Castrol trans max. If you have 4 auto and 4 lock you have the 44-44 without a doubt. I've been using this fluid since 2016 without an issue just do oil changes on it more often is all. In 2016 Dodge changed the clutch packs in the 44-44 and it requires their unicorn tear oil as those clutches need their limited slip addative or they'll rip themselves apart.

PPE is a good pan and I Beleive the filter in that kit is clean able and reusable it's been awhyle since I looked at them though. You can never go wrong with more oil. More volume = cooler temps.
Hope this helps.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gasket and tranny bolts are available at the dealer and are cheap enough, I like the PPE and the extra fluid is great. Nifty work around with the PPE pan is just add fluid until it runs out of the fill port AT TEMP, the extra fluid means you're not low! Also make sure you tighten bolts evenly.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gasket and tranny bolts are available at the dealer and are cheap enough, I like the PPE and the extra fluid is great. Nifty work around with the PPE pan is just add fluid until it runs out of the fill port AT TEMP, the extra fluid means you're not low! Also make sure you tighten bolts evenly.
Not to hijack this thread but please explain the PPE pan work around at temp? On my PPE pan the sump is just deeper, the filter and pickup tube is the same height as OEM. Proper fluid level attainment would still be subject to ZF procedures.

OP
OP
M

mjbrox113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Rear diff will need limited slip addative unless you get the gear oil that has it royal purple I Beleive has it in it. The 44-44 I use Castrol trans max. If you have 4 auto and 4 lock you have the 44-44 without a doubt. I've been using this fluid since 2016 without an issue just do oil changes on it more often is all.
In 2016 Dodge changed the clutch packs in the 44-44 and it requires their unicorn tear oil as those clutches need their limited slip addative or they'll rip themselves apart.

PPE is a good pan and I Beleive the filter in that kit is clean able and reusable it's been awhyle since I looked at them though. You can never go wrong with m

So, can I just use what ever ATF I end up using in my transmission?

OP
OP
M

mjbrox113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
ot necessarily. It might take longer to get up to temperature, but remember it will also take longer to cool down.

Im also a bit concerned about this since there will be some days where is it below zero and ill be driving my kid to the bus stop

rmill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fwiw, I put amsoil multi vehicle full synthetic ATF and tranny loved it have 15k on it.
Your val 75-140 has slip diff lube in it already. used new dorman tranny cover no issues and can just buy the filter for now on. would do plugs and drain and fill coolant a few times also.

rmill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
meant to say i put that amsoil in transfer case. otherwise used all the oils you listed with no issues. Used no mopar!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
5.7L HEMI spark plugs suggested by RockAuto
usually the best prices anywhere

NGK 4469 Iridium IX; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 96355 Ruthenium HX High Ignitability; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also,Advance auto parts ,if you have one near will price match rock auto if it's in stock.dunno bout every item but plugs they do/did for me.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
5.7L HEMI spark plugs suggested by RockAuto
usually the best prices anywhere

NGK 4469 Iridium IX; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 96355 Ruthenium HX High Ignitability; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
BIG vote for the NGK Ruthenium HX plugs!
Fantastic plugs in our HEMI's!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
HEMI runs very smooth and efficiently on these plugs.

I'm on my second replacement set of plugs since new in 19', and now at almost 150,000Km's.

My first replacement were OEM stock. The second replacement are the NGK Ruthenium HX, and this recommendation was coming from senior members here that indicated a smoother running engine.

I also use premium fuel, too, and changed out my PCV valve at each plug change as well.

I ordered another set of these plugs from Rock Auto to have on hand for my next change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357