Fluid Change after many miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i have 150k miles on my 8 speed. Fluids never been touched. do i leave it alone or drain and change fluid.

getting mixed reviews that new fluid at this point may cause issues.

thoughts?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i have 150k miles on my 8 speed. Fluids never been touched. do i leave it alone or drain and change fluid.

thoughts?
New fluids not going to hurt it,that'd be the same as buying a vehicle that had never had the engine oil changed,you'd still change the oil on it,lol.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely change everything. Could save you bunch of money.

Coolant Start with the coolant b/c old and out-of-spec pH coolant can lead to radiator and heater core rot. That's expensive. The most ideal would be to check it with a *calibrated* TESTER. (test strips are not very precise...skip them) to about 8.8. That makes iron & AL happy.

Obviously the diff/Transfer case oils and tranny fluid. There are a lot of how-to's on the transmission. According to an old GM transmission rebuild manual I used to have, you're always better off replacing the fluid, even at high miles.

I personally use all factory fluids b/c it's easier to keep track of 5 yrs later. But whatever works for you. Best of luck!!

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think I have a slight shutter comming from the trans . I never changed fluid because manual says lifetime but now reading that’s garbage info.

I want to change pan and use maxslife fluid. Hoping to to resolve the shutter . But some people say if you haven’t touched the oil over 100k don’t touch it could make it worse

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I think I have a slight shutter comming from the trans . I never changed fluid because manual says lifetime but now reading that’s garbage info.

I want to change pan and use maxslife fluid. Hoping to to resolve the shutter . But some people say if you haven’t touched the oil over 100k don’t touch it could make it worse
According to this Toyota Master tech, don't replace fluid if you waited this long.

Watch starting 3:30

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Unfortunately you're falling into the scenario of you feel a shudder and now think of finally servicing it to stop the issue.
So you change the fluid and it can go 2 ways. Happily ever after or the problem continues and worsens so you blame the new fluid. It's not the new fluids fault, there was already an issue that would of gotten worse regardless.
Myself, I'd change it. Your shudder may go away or could eventually get worse, which it would of anyways if thats the case. But not changing it at all is not going to help anything.

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Change it. Your truck will thank you. I picked up a used 2016 Laramie with 142k. No records of transmission fluid change on carfax so it was first on the diy list. I read similar info as you about the dangers of changing fluid at high mileage but felt the benefits of new fluid out weigh the removal of suspended "friction particles". Using the ZF procedure you are only removing about half of the fluid so you still have 1/2 of the suspended particles remaining, right? My truck also had a hard downshift from second to first gear. After draining 5 quarts of fluid, replacing pan, following ZF procedure, adding 5 quarts MaxLife until trickle, buttoned it up and no more hard down shifts. Tranny shifting great for past 3k miles. It was somewhat comforting knowing the amount of fluid added until full was the same amount drained.

Edit: Fluid and pan had a ton of fine metal particles floating around. Magnets were maxed out with fine metal particles.

Last edited:

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I changed the fluid on my truck at 50k, ran it a couple hundred miles and drain and fill again, did the same a third time where the fluid was red just to make sure had about 95% new fluid, also the PPE pan makes the next drain so easy as the drain plug is easily accsessible.
I god a decent deal on Redline but if were doing today would go with Maxlife.

katywoodworker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would not change for any reason concerning the trans. I have another truck and I will not change it as I bought it used. My daughter changed the fluid in a used truck she got and the trans failed afterwards. But it is your money.

RJR49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've heard plenty of stories about how changing high mileage transmission fluid is a mistake. But, my, actually my father's, experience is that the transmission will stop shifting eventually if you don't change it. in my father's case the transmission stopped shifting. He changed the fluid and filter. I think twice, and it worked like new again. I change mine. Along with the coolant, and brake fluid every 25k. might be overkill but I think it's cheap insurance

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do filter(s) and only the fluid amount needed for changing filters. I would Not change all fluid.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
At only 25K on my 2019 Aisin AT and I never tow anything yet. Temp is at 163F no matter the season. I have heard that if you do work them hard, periodically smell the fluid. Dump it if it smells burned.

The Aisin trans is a beast. Weighs 200 pounds more the the 68RFE.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L

thoughts?
The Owners manual says 120,000 miles or sooner if you two. Make sure you change the pan/filter and use the ZF trans fluid. Do it right and it will treat you right.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately you're falling into the scenario of you feel a shudder and now think of finally servicing it to stop the issue.
So you change the fluid and it can go 2 ways. Happily ever after or the problem continues and worsens so you blame the new fluid. It's not the new fluids fault, there was already an issue that would of gotten worse regardless.
Myself, I'd change it. Your shudder may go away or could eventually get worse, which it would of anyways if thats the case. But not changing it at all is not going to help anything.
Exactly. The entire "don't change the fluid on a high mileage trans" is an old farmer's tale that comes from the exact situation stated by the original post. They have 150k miles with no fluid changes and a suspected slight shudder already. They change the fluid, the trans then completely fails a few weeks or months later, and they blame the failure on the fluid change and not the fact the trans had 150k on the original fluid and a shudder already.
Same thing goes for trans flushing....all the people who say it was the cause of the trans failure don't say that the reason they had the flush done to begin with was because it was slipping and acting up. They had it flushed as a last ditch effort to try to make it last longer but it was too late, and the trans would have failed even if they didn't have it flushed.