87mm Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting stuff!

Im going to have to go pull mine off now to see what the heck you are talking about...

Can you elaborate a little? I have never heard of port matching to the intake manifold. And also not sure what you mean by the neck of the intake manifold. From what I remember (which isn't much, ever) the intake manifold was just a big gaping hole upon which the PTB sat...

Remove the air intake top off the top of the TB. Open the throttle plate fully. Feel the lip of the intake manifold where it meets the bottom of the PTB. Your IM is now a constriction compared to the enlarged PTB. I scribed it and shaved it down to match. Also cleaned some wierd plastic burrs and ribs from the inside of the IM.

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remove the air intake top off the top of the TB. Open the throttle plate fully. Feel the lip of the intake manifold where it meets the bottom of the PTB. Your IM is now a constriction compared to the enlarged PTB. I scribed it and shaved it down to match. Also cleaned some wierd plastic burrs and ribs from the inside of the IM.

Genius. Thanks man. Im going to do that as soon as the sun comes up. :peace:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't take credit. A local old-school racer friend talked me into it after I complained about wasting my $$ on the PTB.
The porting probably took my 15 minutes including removing the intake tube, porting, and cleaning up. I don't know why anyone would buy a PTB and NOT do this.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
It's true, increase the size of the TB you've got to match size the rest. Just remember there's a lot of other secrets that you or that old racer guy may know that needs to be passed along on the forum!

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can't take credit. A local old-school racer friend talked me into it after I complained about wasting my $$ on the PTB.
The porting probably took my 15 minutes including removing the intake tube, porting, and cleaning up. I don't know why anyone would buy a PTB and NOT do this.

How did you port it?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dremel. SO easy. I've never done anything like this before, you just have to go slow.
In fact, I got so comfortable I might half-shaft the PTB soon.

Attachments

• dremel_395.jpg
    dremel_395.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 118

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So you just did the porting on the bottom side of the TB where it mounts to the manifold?

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dremel. SO easy. I've never done anything like this before, you just have to go slow.
In fact, I got so comfortable I might half-shaft the PTB soon.

I love dremels. Once I get one in my hand, I start looking for stuff to jack with. Just because.

Now I have a reason. Thank you. :gr_grin:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you just did the porting on the bottom side of the TB where it mounts to the manifold?

Yes, the "mouth" of the intake manifold where the TB sits on.
Then, I could easily see some ribs and crap just inside the IM that I shaved off :rockit:

This, combined with the polish and knife edging of the TB is what it took to feel any difference over stock.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Port matching is nothing new. Racers & engine builders have been doing it on intakes, heads and exhausts for decades. You'll find an article in hot rod & muscle car magazines every few years on how to do it yourself.
It's definitely worth the time and trouble.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you use to prevent shavings from falling into the Intake Manifold

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stuff a rag in the intake then vacuum before and during removal of rag.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
What he said ^^^^

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did this an hour ago, it was very simple. My only worry/complaint was that I couldn't get the IM mouth perfectly smooth after trimming it.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Fastman 85 with the knife edge. I've never had any issues but there must have been quite a few who did. I don't think any of the companies who port throttle bodies do the knife edge.

Personally I will never order from Bully's. the way they barge into threads trying to sell their products is terrible business practice. Matt is a stand up guy and offers his expertise any chance he gets. And only offers his products when asked. That's why he has brought Moes back from the dead. Since I have found this site I have ordered from Moes numerous times and every transaction has been flawless. And his shipping is crazy fast. Just my .02