87mm Throttle Body require Tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21RamEtorque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I just bought a 87mm ported throttle body for my 21 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Etorque and a shop says it needs a new PCM or tuning but on Moe’s website it says no tuning required. Which is it?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What MODs do you have that require a new TB ?

TBs are usually paired with cam swaps as they are pretty much are useless on their own.

OP
OP

21RamEtorque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I only have an S&an Cold Air Intake right now but I wanted to do new headers eventually which I read required a 87mm ported throttle body.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you do if you want actual gains... lol...

on their own without tunes they are useless.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you do if you want actual gains... lol...

on their own without tunes they are useless.
He said "need" not "optimal", I get your thinking but he is asking literally if he can plug and play and drive, and the answer to that is yes. Is it the best option? Of course not.

OP
OP

21RamEtorque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Would I get any additional benefits with plug and play without tuning or not really? I know the best thing is getting it tuned but not within my budget right now.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would I get any additional benefits with plug and play without tuning or not really? I know the best thing is getting it tuned but not within my budget right now.
Probably none except the truck feeling faster since your wallet is lighter. Like @DILLIGAF said, TBs are for cam swaps and higher flow needs. The SRT 6.4 uses the same TB as is stock on the 5.7. That TB money could go towards the tune or longtubes instead.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Turn or push the button till it's in the run position,but don't start it,then push the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor 3 times.
Little tidbit for you,the 485 horse SRT 6.4's use the same exact throttle body as your 5.7 does.For your mods you don't need a throttle body,it's the very last thing you do,after doing a cam/headers/ported heads/higher stall torque convertor etc.,and even then it's still not a huge requirement on a 5.7
Whoever told you,you needed a ported throttle body,doesn't know their ^ss from a hole in the ground.If you haven't bought it yet,don't ,save that money and put it towards a set of long tubes.

Last edited:

ya3coub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 87mm ported throttle body for my 21 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Etorque and a shop says it needs a new PCM or tuning but on Moe’s website it says no tuning required. Which is it?
How was your transaction with moes performance?
I’ve been trying to reach them for almost 2 months now without any success.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How was your transaction with moes performance?
I’ve been trying to reach them for almost 2 months now without any success.
You don't need tuning for a throttle body change,especially one of Matts tapered throttle bodies. BTW the trucks use the exact same throttle body as the 485 horse SRT 6.4's use,and you're going to need more then bolt ons to get a 5.7 to 485 horse,so make the throttle body upgrade one of your very last upgrades,after you do cam / long tubes / ported 6.4 intake manifold and ported heads etc. ,or you add boost,and even with boost if you're springing for a blow through Pro Charger set-up,even then it's not a huge requirement. Not sure why you guys think you need to lighten your wallet with a throttle body upgrade,when you haven't done the most basic of mods first.The internet has sucked a few of you guys in,lol

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
All mods are essentially useless without tuning. The air going in is metered. The ECU is only going to allow enough air for the amount of fuel being delivered.

I always chuckle when I read descriptions of mods that claim "X" amount of HP. In what world? They're not changing the fuel map or the throttle map. It's all drive-by-wire.

The very first mod anyone should do is an unlocked ECU and tuner. Without both you're just ******* money away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357