8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What was your local price? I haven't stopped locally yet, but I've spent time looking online and it seems just as easy to get the Mopar fluid vs getting the ZF Lifeguard 8 online. Seems the best you can do online is $20/qt
Alot of dealers will come close to matching the online Mopar dealers price Jesse if you ask them.I always grind on my local parts guys if i have to,lol

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was your local price? I haven't stopped locally yet, but I've spent time looking online and it seems just as easy to get the Mopar fluid vs getting the ZF Lifeguard 8 online. Seems the best you can do online is $20/qt
I ended up paying $29.89 for the quart. Probably could have bought it cheaper, but I had it in hand same day, and I'm leaving for a Texas - Michigan road trip later today. So convenience easily outweighed a small price savings.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I totally get that and for a single quart it's really nothing. I'm looking to pick up fluid for a trans service though... So I'm trying to be cheap

dc435911

Reaction score
If you remove the actual heater block you will need to remove the tstat from the stock housing as well otherwise it leaves a restriction in the oil flow and will block oil to the transmission since the cooler would be the only path of flow and the tstat is blocking that hole
I'll replumb and leave the stat in. Basic same function as the heater block without the heater block. Got the plumbing coming tomorrow so I can get the used item installed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'll replumb and leave the stat in. Basic same function as the heater block without the heater block. Got the plumbing coming tomorrow so I can get the used item installed
It'll still eventually get to 185,it'll just take upwards of 50 or 60 miles to do it.Did you find the posts by CrazyKid and i,showing how we plugged the bypass holes,that need to be plugged,if you plan on removing the heat exchanger.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I debated on doing that myself actually but still didn’t want the 186° trans temp with spikes into the 200° range

dc435911

Reaction score
It'll still eventually get to 185,it'll just take upwards of 50 or 60 miles to do it.Did you find the posts by CrazyKid and i,showing how we plugged the bypass holes,that need to be plugged,if you plan on removing the heat exchanger.
Yes and I currently have the heater hoses disconnected and running with the thermostat in service. It works great and yesterday the transmission got up to 183f in town driving home and then dropped to 170f on the interstate which I'm happy with.

dc435911

Reaction score
I debated on doing that myself actually but still didn’t want the 186° trans temp with spikes into the 200° range
On my driving I haven't seen any spikes up. The stat seems to work as intended by the engineers. The heater lines though i see as the problem when you're in stop and go the engine is building heat and the fluid isn't just going to the radiator the transmission is a secondary radiator. Removing the heater lines let's the transmission and transmission cooler be its own system. Now the only heat source is the transmission. If I see high temps I'll share and look at a different transmission stat too but 180F is coming up as industry standard from my research. I'll keep you guys updated but personal opinion is I like the operation of the stat with the heater function removed.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait until the stat fails which has happened to several members here. You can't just buy a new thermostat either, you have to buy the whole assembly.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I've bitten the bullet and bought the ppe pan and ordered 10qt of Mopar fluid from Walmart.com for $21.99 each. The project will be waiting till I get back from vacation and get the whole side of my truck fixed from that stupid white tail that F'd it all up.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us posted. I’m planing on swapping my pan when it’s time for my service at 50,000 miles. Curious how it’ll effect oil temps

dc435911

Reaction score
Well, I've bitten the bullet and bought the ppe pan and ordered 10qt of Mopar fluid from Walmart.com for $21.99 each. The project will be waiting till I get back from vacation and get the whole side of my truck fixed from that stupid white tail that F'd it all up.
You'll love the pan, it's worth it and helps with cooling. I also like the quality as it has held up well off roading so far. Plus future oil draining will be a snap.

dc435911

Reaction score
Wait until the stat fails which has happened to several members here. You can't just buy a new thermostat either, you have to buy the whole assembly.
Correct and the nice thing is with no heater if the stat fails you can manage trans temp better with the heater you will always have heat coming into it.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was on board with the PPE pan for the replaceable filters but when I realized you can get an OEM-style aftermarket pan on ebay for $30 the PPE pan didnt seem so appealing.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was on board with the PPE pan for the replaceable filters but when I realized you can get an OEM-style aftermarket pan on ebay for $30 the PPE pan didnt seem so appealing.
For some of us the pros outweigh the cons. For me I’m going for added capacity and extra cooling plus the aluminum pan should be stronger than the plastic in a few aspects.

dc435911

Reaction score
For some of us the pros outweigh the cons. For me I’m going for added capacity and extra cooling plus the aluminum pan should be stronger than the plastic in a few aspects.
I agree and apparently the jeep gladiator zf trans gets a steel pan which is another option for the durability part. No extra oil capacity increase though.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that, and also the drain plug is so easily accessible on the PPE pan so future service is much easier.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
X2 on the purchase. Please let us know specifics on oil temp at normal engine operating temp, pre and post temp reduction, high and low temps, indications of moisture in xmsn fluid.

Thanks

dc435911

Reaction score
I saw a 10f drop with the ppe pan on stock size tires so the trans did run 183f prior and 173f after. When I went to 37s the trans went up to 183f. Not enough miles to change fluid yet.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
finally got around to install Caulks thermostat bypass today, pretty strait forward install. test drive around 25 miles, temp range from 147deg on freeway, 158deg around town at 70 deg outside air temp. about a 25-30 deg decrease in temp. like that much better than the 179-188 deg range before.