92 W250 Rear leaf spring bushings don't match

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Fisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. I am beating my head over this rear suspension. The leaf springs are sized for 1-1/2" OD bushings which would normally require a 3/4" bolt. However, my rear leaf springs use 5/8" bolts. I tore the driver side entire rear leaf spring out and it appears there was a sleeve inserted into the 3/4" ID bushings so that a 5/8" bolt would work. To the best of my knowledge this setup is original. Although a lift kit was installed by someone else it appears it was the lift that replaced the front leafs with 3.5" spacer with stock springs in the rear.

Has anyone come across this? Do they sell sleeves by themselves to take a 3/4" ID down to 5/8" ID?

This isn't the first thing I found weird on this truck. The front axle brake hose is for a 4500 lb axle but I only have a the 3000 lb axle which everything else matches to.

I think dodge just used whatever they had laying around to build this truck. 1992 W250 with a 5.2L

Any help would be much appreciated because I have already spent hundreds on parts that won't work because I didn't want to put the truck out of commission to take it apart and wait for parts.

Tnanks!!!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
by 92 dodge mostly stopped doing the "use whatever is in the parts bin" assembly. However, for the leaf springs, I do believe some had 3/4 and some 5/8 bolts. Mostly 3/4. so the tough part is, good luck finding an eyelet bushing for 5/8. More likely, you'll have to use a 3/4 inch bushing, drill out the mounts/shackles to 3/4 and be done with it.

OP
OP
S

Scott Fisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks reek. Drilling out and going to the 3/4" bolts I did think about. At this point the suspension parts are so worn I am considering an all new lift kit from rough country with new springs, bushings, u-bolts, shocks.

However, change in gears now. Just went out to move it out of the driveway and the parking brake and abs lights came on and brake peddle went to the floor. Got out to find one of the hard brake lines is spraying fluid out of it. Ugh, suspension doesn't mean crap if the truck doesn't stop!! Can't win.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
almost 30 years old. things are gonna rust. if not rusted, worn out.

given the era in which the truck was made and the current limited parts availability, remember there are no rules, get creative when it comes to fixing things. Be safe though. I ended up ordering brake tubing, bending them myself and a tubing flare tool on my old trucks. the availability and cost of brake lines, fuel lines wasn't worth it. buying the tools was cheaper and it's not rocket surgery.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
5/8" bolts were std on most 3/4-tons, except the 91.5-93 diesels.

I drilled out my D150 frame (became a trailer) for my old 3/4" bolt ('93 cummins) leaf springs.

For anyone that cares about ride quality... get longer springs, and move the hangers. Its worth it. (I did it with junkyard parts, and gained 4" lift doing it.)