A. Accident damage thoughts…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaskaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
IMG_9600.jpeg2022 RAM 1500 Limited bought new 11 months ago. I was involved in a 37 car pileup last week, not at fault but hit front and rear. Truck was delivered to body shop today, no evaluation yet.

Curious to hear from others in this situation, what are options if not totaled, can I dispute it?

If settlement isn’t enough to replace with a new truck is there such a thing as doing after finished value for the difference?

I’m with State Farm, at 78 years young I’ve never been in this position. Does this look like a total candidate?

Thanks!IMG_9599.jpegIMG_9598.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9597.jpeg
    IMG_9597.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9596.jpeg
    IMG_9596.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 33

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
The front appears mostly cosmetic, the rear might be another story, depending on frame or sheet metal. If just sheet metal, I'd push for a replacement bed, plenty of take offs available but your location might be the sticking point. Good luck, stick to your guns with State Farm and don't cash any checks till your satisfied

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the amount of body damage and most likely a bent frame the truck will probably be totaled especially if any of the airbags deployed. Every panel down the passenger side has to be fixed, most of the front end need to be replaced along with a complete bed/tailgate

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most likely going to depend on if the frame is bent or not. I had a vehicle hit in the passenger side. Looked like very minimal damage. Totaled because the frame was bent.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Push for Totaled and file for diminished value, I have State Farm, I believe they will work with you, Way Way too much damage to fix, the rear end and side you got to have frame damage, the front, fender hood and complete grill Assy, who knows about the radiator, condenser and core support, stand your ground!!!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It’s simple really, if repairs cost more than the current market value, ins co totals it. If not, the ins company repairs the vehicle. Check out diminished value laws in your state.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Come on guys we all know with a bit of spit and lots of polish it will be as good as new :33: :bs:

Glad your okay but if its not a total loss I would be very surprised.

Good Luck...

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s simple really, if repairs cost more than the current market value, ins co totals it. If not, the ins company repairs the vehicle. Check out finished value laws in your state.
Not necessarily true.
I had a vehicle totaled because the frame was bent. 3 different shops said the damage could be repaired for under 5k.
Insurance totaled it because of the frame damage and cut me a check for 20k.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting - frame straightening and unit body pulling used to be very routine. I didn’t realize it has become a big issue with insurance companies now. I second the comment about the air bags. If a bunch of them deployed that will add up quickly.

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I thought. I fought with the insurance to not total it but in the end it made more sense to take the check.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the insurance company feels it will cost them less to total out, then sell the totaled truck at auction, that's what they will do.

Wrecked and repairable trucks bring a good price at salvage auctions, even if going to a wrecking yard for parting out.

The rebuilders usually will pay a lot also if it's cosmetic and a small amount of frame work.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I agree with those who believe it's "Totaled". And I'd be pushing for that as others have said. It'll never be the same after repairs. I've known people who paid out $3k to have their vehicle totaled over having repaired. It was an almost new Phord SUV and insurance said it was $3k from totaled so he paid out $3k and got a new one.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I'm gonna say that thing is likely totaled. The back cab panel is bent from the bed being shoved into it, so the frame is definitely bent. I have a buddy that works in a collision repair shop and it's surprising what gets fixed these days but that one won't be. You're looking at a whole bed, at least half of the exhaust, back cab panel, 2 doors and a front clip including the sub structure.

Make sure they total it, even if you have to come out of pocket a touch. Also file for diminished value cuz they're not going to want to pay you enough to buy that same truck again.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Even without frame damage it is going to run about 14 to possibly 20k to make repairs. I hit a deer a year ago. No sheet metal damage at all. Front bumper, Grill, condenser, radiator, all of the grill and louvers cost $5300.00. Then also factor in cost of rental truck. Glad that you are not hurt. Hope all goes well for you here.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hope you're ok from that! Like many here I'm sure, some times you see what looks like "some" damage from just outside view but once you open the hood or look around/under the numbers just go crazy for repair costs. Lots of good suggestions in this thread for making you $$ whole or close to it, I'd do that.

I got a car back from a body shop after lots of repairs from an accident years back....$500 from being totalled situation. I was never the same vehicle. Sold it within a couple months of getting it back - fully disclosed so cost me anyways. If I would have had getting a check option up front, it would have been a whole lot easier and faster I think.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting - frame straightening and unit body pulling used to be very routine. I didn’t realize it has become a big issue with insurance companies now. I second the comment about the air bags. If a bunch of them deployed that will add up quickly.
I've been told that vehicles with frames made of high strength materials don't pull very well and heat can't (shouldn't) be used.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105505 miles.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interested to hear what the result is. I had frame damage on my first new Ram. Trained technicians worked it out and made it better than new. As part of the reason for the damage I was able to take it to a separate frame shop, one that had no connection to repair shop (I know because second frame shop owned by a friend). Putting the truck on the rack proved the result and years of service with no weird tire wear or alignment issues proved to me a vehicle can be the same, if. It better, after an accident.